PDA

View Full Version : Coin-op-Rails

mworkman
01-15-2005, 07:56 AM
I just bought an old coin-op Dynamo 7'. It is pretty slow. I'm going to replace the old cloth which I'm sure will make a big difference. I was wondering if to replace the rails you need to buy the complete set which bolts on to the rail or just rubber to glue on to the part that bolts on? The set from muellers is spendy $150.00. But, a set of rubber k66 or u23 is cheap, like $30.00. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks, Mark

table_tech
01-15-2005, 08:07 AM
u can buy the complete rails,just cover them and install them or you can buy just the u 23 cushions and replace them yourself,its pretty simple to replace them on a coin op table.

mworkman
01-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks table_tech. Are all u23 the same hight/width? Also, any advise on cutting them down?
Thanks again, Mark

table_tech
01-15-2005, 03:31 PM
the u23 cushions are slightly smaller than the k66,u may be able to use a k66 but u might get some ball hop on hard shots,to be safe and get it right the first time get the u23s,if u have the time,patience,money try the k66s,it is the cushion profile most tables have.mark the center of the rail/cushion with a marker before u remove the old cushions.remove the facings first and then the cushion,they peel off fairly easy.clean any old adheisive off the rail,make sure the cushion fits tightly against the rail before u glue it,apply some glue on both the rail and the cushion where they contact each other.id use elmers so you have a little time to adjust them before it sets up.make sure the top of the cushion is in the exact position that the old ones were.hang a lil extra off each end and use rubberbands or electrical tape to secure them to the rail and then check alignment again and let them dry.take the old cushion and line up the center lines again and mark and then cut off each end.use a dissposible razor bladeknife and dip it in water before u cut the ends off.glue the old facings back on and then there ready to be re clothed.

Troy
01-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I suggest Contact Cement instead of Elmer's.
(Similar to Rubber Cement, just stronger)
Avoid sniffing... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote table_tech:</font><hr> the u23 cushions are slightly smaller than the k66,u may be able to use a k66 but u might get some ball hop on hard shots,to be safe and get it right the first time get the u23s,if u have the time,patience,money try the k66s,it is the cushion profile most tables have.mark the center of the rail/cushion with a marker before u remove the old cushions.remove the facings first and then the cushion,they peel off fairly easy.clean any old adheisive off the rail,make sure the cushion fits tightly against the rail before u glue it,apply some glue on both the rail and the cushion where they contact each other.id use elmers so you have a little time to adjust them before it sets up.make sure the top of the cushion is in the exact position that the old ones were.hang a lil extra off each end and use rubberbands or electrical tape to secure them to the rail and then check alignment again and let them dry.take the old cushion and line up the center lines again and mark and then cut off each end.use a dissposible razor bladeknife and dip it in water before u cut the ends off.glue the old facings back on and then there ready to be re clothed. <hr /></blockquote>

table_tech
01-15-2005, 09:06 PM
elmers is the easiest to work with ,period.make a mess and u can wipe it up with a wet rag.alllow 24 hrs to set up and its as strong as it needs to be in this application.try working with bondo or contact cement in someones home for an hour or so and i promise you wont make any friends that day!

mworkman
01-16-2005, 05:22 AM
Table tech.. When you say elmers do you mean the white stuff we used in school or is there a stronger kind? Not trying to second guess, just wondering.
Thanks, Mark

mworkman
01-16-2005, 07:12 AM
One more thing I forgot... When you glue the cloth on, do you also need to tape? And if so, what kind of tape is best?
Thanks again, Mark

table_tech
01-16-2005, 08:26 AM
yes im talking about regular elmers glue,your question"when u glue the cloth on do u also need to tape?" are you talking about the rails or the slate?what would u tape?

mworkman
01-16-2005, 09:08 AM
When I had an Irving Kay I noticed that they taped the cloth down under the slate as well as using the glue.

table_tech
01-16-2005, 02:56 PM
ive never seen the tape trick before,maybe someone else has and can explain it to us.use a good name brand type of spray adheiseve,use plenty of it and remember not to apply the cloth to it until it has had a lil time to tack up,time can vary depending on temperture and humidity levels.touch it with your finger if it comes off its not ready yet,when its ready it feels similar to duct tape and it will not stick to your finger.of course theres plenty more to this trade but this is as simple as i can explain it,be paitient,take your time and you will figure it out.