PDA

View Full Version : I finally played with a Tiger X shaft...

tateuts
01-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Here's my take on it.

The shaft is definitely different from a Predator and a conventional shaft, and is actually a blend of the positive qualities of both.

The first thing you notice is the distinct appearance. What it looks like is simple but unusual - 4 sides of the tight side grain of hard maple instead of two. That's because the shaft is built of 4 pieces radially laminated around a square core, so all you see is the edge grain.

The feel is strictly conventional. The shaft is solid and the hit is distinctively firm, pretty much like an older hard wood shaft. It doesn't have that "too light in the front" feel of a Predator.

My opinion was that this is a relatively low squirt shaft - at least it was for me. I couldn't aim off center exactly like my Predator but it didn't squirt much more. I've seen tests where they are rated as an average squirt shaft - so take that into consideration.

Bottom line. For me and for the players I know who use Tiger shafts - they are consistent. Since there is no directional "spine", the shaft is consistent from shot to shot and gives good feel.

I think the Tiger X is a good product. It can be customized for your taper by a cue maker, and it has a nice solid feel. I would not hesitate to recommend one. Here's the web-site:

http://www.tigerproducts.com/xshaft.htm

Chris

Sid_Vicious
01-15-2005, 11:22 AM
That's an interesting idea, thanks for the review. I'd really have a difficult time though paying Tiger's asking price, especially since I'd need to match rings. MAN, these laminated shafts are getting pricey! sid

DavidMorris
01-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks Chris, I was just asking about reviews or comparisons between 314, SharpShooter, and X-Shaft in the SharpShooter thread. This is the kind of stuff I want to hear.

So if someone offered you a 314 or an X-Shaft free of charge, which would you take? I'm guessing 314, since that's what you're used to, but for someone just trying a laminated reduced-squirt shaft for the first time, what would be your recommendation?

nhp
01-15-2005, 01:48 PM
I like the hit of both the tiger and predator, problem is I just can't make up my mind on which to get. There are a couple pros using the tiger shafts, and some of them swear by them. Most other pros use the 314, however. While at the UPA Championship they had a Tiger booth there, and I talked to the guy and he said that alot of pros there liked the hit of the X shaft and are having the shafts custom made to their specifications.

tateuts
01-15-2005, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> Thanks Chris, I was just asking about reviews or comparisons between 314, SharpShooter, and X-Shaft in the SharpShooter thread. This is the kind of stuff I want to hear.

So if someone offered you a 314 or an X-Shaft free of charge, which would you take? I'm guessing 314, since that's what you're used to, but for someone just trying a laminated reduced-squirt shaft for the first time, what would be your recommendation? <hr /></blockquote>

I'm going to stick with my Predator because I'm happy with the way I play with it, but I think I could play as well with a Tiger X after an adjustment time. Once you get used to a Predator conventional shafts feel strange. Personally, I think both of these shafts are superior to a conventional shaft.

Chris

tateuts
01-15-2005, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> That's an interesting idea, thanks for the review. I'd really have a difficult time though paying Tiger's asking price, especially since I'd need to match rings. MAN, these laminated shafts are getting pricey! sid <hr /></blockquote>

Well, sounds like Sid isn't going to get shafted. (pun intended).

They are expensive. By the time you got your taper put on it and matching rings, you could have a $300 shaft - pricey to say the least.

In their defense, there's a lot of work involved making these shafts and a lot of "breakage". Because of the precision required of the cuts and laminations, there are a lot of shafts that are just thrown out because they don't pass the inspection stages.

Chris