PDA

View Full Version : DCC 2005 1/14/05

Fred Agnir
01-15-2005, 04:50 PM
A little bit of a misnomer, as the action poured into the next day.

There are over 400 players in the bank, which means that tournament directing is a nightmare to both the TD and the players. Players are waiting until late into the night just to find out that they're playing at 11PM or 11 AM the next day.

The usual suspects pass through without a hitch, except maybe Marco Marquez who takes a first loss. The tables seem easier this year, even though they're the same tables. They are covered in electric blue. How quaint. The top players seem to have figured out the pocket speeds and the slight rolls of the Diamond 9'Smart Tables.

Two major stories:

Ring 10-ball
Efren vs. Joyner

Ring 10-ball

For the ring 10-ball, please read the most excellent report from Justyn at http://www.insidepool.com. I'm too tired to write, but the big notes is that the player found out that breaking as big as they can is the only chance they have to make a ball on the break and have a chance to break&run. The very first break, John Schmidt destroyed the rack and had an easy out. Alex Pagulayan won five games in a row with a full-table runout, a 10-ball on the break, and three break&runs following.

The competitors were Johnny, Shannon, Alex, Efren, Schmidt and Robbie Saez. Johnny flew up from Atlanta just to see 4 times at the table in about 15 games, kicking three times. He was the first casualty. Then went Saez, then Shannon, and finally John Schmidt until there were two. The final two had them playing "all in" for whomever had the least amount,... which was Efren (against Alex). Alex had been breaking big from the center and running out. Efren finally figured out that he also needed to break big from the center. That's what kept him in it. Anyway, in the final match, both players dogged a ball, and Alex ran out the final match to win the big $18,000. His celebration cry? "Diapers baby!!!!"

Efren vs. Joyner

The match was Race to 11, Efren giving Joyner 8-7.

Now, for those that simply don't know, these are the two best one-pocket players in the game right now.

Joyner is a relatively aggressive player with professional pocketing skills. His moves are technically perfect and are nearly always the "correct" choice.

Reyes is... a magician. He's always playing shots that simply aren't in the book, but playing them with fantastic results. He combines billiard-style cueball control with the world's greatest pool game. He is an excellent banker and the game's greatest kicker. All of this skills become all too evident in a long one-pocket session.

If it wasn't for Joyner's amazing one-pocket talent, the final score would have been worse. It seemed that every time Reyes left the table, Cliff was unable to pull out his aggresive game. Unless a player was there watching, words cannot describe it. So I won't try. Reyes is Reyes. If you've never seen him in one-hole action, you need to. There weren't enough buckets to collect the oohs and ahhs hanging in the air and left on the floor.

I would never have guessed anyone could have rolled over CLiff so easily, but Reyes did. And after a few games, Cliff was left hoping for rolls while Reyes was breezing through him as if he was just another nobody. Reyes was a surgeon. When I have more time and more rest, I'll do some WEI diagrams.

Final score 11-4. But it wasn't that close. Cliff made two nice outs down 10-2, while Reyes started to fall asleep. In Reyes' final game, Cliff tossed in the towel (literally) while Reyes was shooting for seven. Overall, anyone who watched will agree: it was easily the best one pocket that I have ever seen. Ever. Ever. Ever.

Until tomorrow's Bank Results,

Fred

tateuts
01-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks Fred, sounds like an awesome time.

Chris

PQQLK9
01-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the report, that Reyes Joyner match is a tape i've got to get.

Fred Agnir
01-15-2005, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Thanks for the report, that Reyes Joyner match is a tape i've got to get. <hr /></blockquote>Good luck. This was a challenge match that got taped on home video by a pal of Holmann and Souquet. I believe BCN made a deal for the rights. That tape will be a collector's edition, but it will be amateurish at best.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-17-2005, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
..Alex ran out the final match to win the big $18,000. His celebration cry? "Diapers baby!!!!"

<hr /></blockquote>

What a pistol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the report.

ragbug74
01-18-2005, 05:17 PM
I was there until the very end at 5:00 a.m. and it was truly "magical". The moves and patterns Efren came up with, and made look so effortless, were simply amazing.