PDA

View Full Version : OK then, how about a good guy? Joel Hercek.

tateuts
01-15-2005, 05:15 PM
I've got a nice collection of older Palmer cues going, and I've put a premium on locating examples with Szamboti and Burton Spain made splices. Problem is, it's hard to tell who made what because their work was so similar and was used interchangeably by Palmer on several lines.

Getting kind of frustrated, Friday night I sent an e-mail to Joel Hercek offering to send him the cues and asking what he would charge to authenticate them.

I got an e-mail back this morning (at 7 a.m.) just asking me to send him pictures, which I did.

This afternoon, I got an e-mail from Joel letting me know that they were Spain blanks.

Now, here's a cuemaker that is all class. His web site is very educational. I admire his ideas and philosophies. When I need a new custom, I know he's the one who's going to make it for me.

http://www.hercek.com/

Chris

buddha162
01-16-2005, 04:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>
When I need a new custom, I know he's the one who's going to make it for me.
<hr /></blockquote>

I hope you're a patient man.

-Roger (5 more years to go...)

BLACKHEART
01-16-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm a big fan of Joels. His work speaks for itself &amp; is nothing but the highest quality...JER

Sid_Vicious
01-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Chris...I looked at his cues, and of course you could ask for different patterns as a personal choice, I found most all his cues a little too "busy" in the butt cap design, plus I realy don't care for the light basics of his linen wraps in general presented in many of his show cues. Some of the artwork reminds me of Meucci, and I guess that in itself was part of my initial turn-off for me. How's the hit on his cues with the non steel joints?, assuming you've hit with some of his sticks. The white pics of joints looked appealing to me but it'd have to create a solid hit.

He does sound like a nice guy, and that's important...sid

PQQLK9
01-16-2005, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I found most all his cues a little too "busy" in the butt cap design, plus I realy don't care for the light basics of his linen wraps in general presented in many of his show cues. Some of the artwork reminds me of Meucci, and I guess that in itself was part of my initial turn-off for me. <hr /></blockquote>

I could not have said it better. Plus waiting 5 years is a long time .

tateuts
01-16-2005, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>
When I need a new custom, I know he's the one who's going to make it for me.
<hr /></blockquote>

I hope you're a patient man.

-Roger (5 more years to go...) <hr /></blockquote>

I guess he doesn't need any more orders. I am a big fan of the full splice cue. When I look at what he does, what he believes in, and how he conducts himself, I can certainly see why he has so much demand.

Chris

tateuts
01-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Sid,

I haven't had a chance to play with a Hercek cue. I have always liked the solid feel of a full splice cue. I like ivory joints and ferrules, so I assume they would be a great feeling cue.

I would want to own a Hercek because this type of cue- maker, in the mold of Szamboti and Spain, are a rare and disappearing breed. They are true craftsmen following a cue making tradition established by Rambow and pretty much abandoned by everyone else because it is slow and uneconomical. They do it because they believe it to be better.

To me, the beauty of these cues is in the execution, not the decorations. To see a beautiful full splice by a master is like music to my ears.

However, I am with you - I greatly prefer subtle and simple designs in cue inlays. My favorites are the designs executed by Gus Szamboti. I think he had great taste.

Chris

Rod
01-16-2005, 05:16 PM
On the AZB forum I tried to indentify my old cue. I thought it was an old Palmer but it turns out after all these years it was an MF. It looks just like a Palmer except for a couple of differences.

It was identified as a rare Burton Spain with 5 veneers. Joel sure seemed to think so, so I feel comfortable that it is. I'm not sure at this point if it is a full splice though, without cutting the wrap off.

Joel was very helpful, if I was ordering a new one I definately consider him first. His help of course was wonderful but I like his construction as well.

Rod

tateuts
01-16-2005, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> On the AZB forum I tried to indentify my old cue. I thought it was an old Palmer but it turns out after all these years it was an MF. It looks just like a Palmer except for a couple of differences.

It was identified as a rare Burton Spain with 5 veneers. Joel sure seemed to think so, so I feel comfortable that it is. I'm not sure at this point if it is a full splice though, without cutting the wrap off.

Joel was very helpful, if I was ordering a new one I definately consider him first. His help of course was wonderful but I like his construction as well.

Rod
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm sorry I missed that post, Rod - I'll look for it - if you still have a link it would be helpful.

Rod
01-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Here is the link Chris. Joe from Classic cue was very helpful as well. I had a couple of pm's too.

AZB link (http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=8333&amp;highlight=identify)

Rod

tateuts
01-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Very interesting. That's a neat looking cue, Rod.

I am beginning to see that the color of the veneer dyes is the giveaway to the Spain blank - they're pretty distinctive. I have a model "I" Palmer that I thought was a Szamboti blank - now I'm thinking it's a Burton Spain also.

Chris

BLACKHEART
01-16-2005, 08:29 PM
I've played with several Hercek Qs &amp; owned one. They are flat out great playing Qs. He makes one of the top playing Qs I've ever played with. Remember that no matter what the decorations are, you should be buying a Q for PLAYABILITY 1st &amp; looks second. Joel will make you a Q as plain or decorated as you want. As a cuemaker myself, I aspire to make a product that is as good, as a Hercek. His Qs are that good...JER

Rod
01-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I bought a new Palmer abt 1967, the forearm diamond and dots looked the same and it had a rosewood butt with mp diamonds. However it had a screw on ferrule and I can't be sure the veneer was the same but it was very close.

My car was stolen in Calif and the cue was in the trunk. I bought this one because it looked the same as the old one. It's been 35 years and now I find out it really isn't a Palmer. I've remembered the MF name all that while and finally I found out they made cues.

All of my high runs are with that cue. It still plays great but it's been retired for years.

Rod

tateuts
01-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Good story Rod. What you have there is a good piece of cuemaking history.

Chris

BLACKHEART
01-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Help me out...WHO IS "MF"???????...JER

Rod
01-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Jer, his name was , Mike Fundunka later on he took on a partner. Prior, they both worked for Palmer. Here is a link to the thread and a little history. ABZ link (http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=8333&amp;highlight=identify)

I heard M&amp;F originally but I never knew who they were.

Rod

BLACKHEART
01-16-2005, 11:45 PM
I've just increased my pool trivia, by one more name...JER

Rod
01-17-2005, 09:23 AM
LOL, so did I Jer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif