PDA

View Full Version : Winning By His Bad Luck Q

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2002, 10:25 AM
I've had recent experiences where the opponent, who almost always makes game balls and easy run outs have coughed up christmas gifts and I take a little cash home. Now it might seem that we are looking at some hustling but try and avoid that for a sec for the sake of the question. Is there difficulty by some here for feeling like a winner when they didn't really win? It may be a shortcoming of mine but I don't pride myself in somebody's terrible and out of nature play. Lastly, if this is a commonality shared or has been shared in the past, how did you surpass not letting your "soft spot" cause you to subconscioiusly give up the hammer game when it was right there asking for you pop in the moneyball...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
05-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Sid,
If I am understanding your question correctly. NO, I don't have a problem with feeling less of a winner if I loose to someone that is not playing well.

I try to maintain my perspective about my matches, based on how well I play. Did I get out when I had the opportunity? Did I get an opportunity?

Did you play well enough to win without them making any mistakes? How was your performance that day? Maybe his performance was affected by you playing well, or by you taking the opportunities offered.

Good players often shark themselves when they make a mistake and let their opponents out.

05-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Tom, I don't think it's quite so easy to not feel bad after losing to someone you normally beat. We are not at a level that we can go through an entire match without making a mistake or two. Self evaluation is a lot of times biased by the result. For instance, if you play someone better and they have an off game, you might feel like you played stronger than normal based on who you beat when in reality, it was "his bad luck" that let you pull off the upset.

- Did you figure out who I am based on my name?

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2002, 11:11 AM
Some trading of chokes Tom but he the eventual overall loser(definition dependent), sorry for the confusion. I am trying to get out of the emotion of feeling bad for the player, or in short trying to come to grips with the after-emotion of sensing that it wasn't I who won but him who lost, in a particularly dismal way. I find that many time I can't surface that killer stuff you are supposed to have to close out after sh$t happens in their game(when most always they stroked through and won previously) causing me to screw up just as badly. Thanks for the reply, let me know more if you more observations...sid

JimS
05-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Like you I find that sort of win less of a kick but I've not noticed a tendancy in me to give it back /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

I don't think there's anything that pisses me off more than to blow a game/match and then when my opponent takes the gift I've unwillingly given him he comes up and says: "Nice game".

I know that's just habit, that's what you say when you win but that is NOT the time to tell me "nice game". I try to say something like "I know how you feel....that's a lousy way to lose.", but NOT "nice game". /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
05-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Jim,

Don't get me started on rolls.. 9 ball is one of the easiest games to be either the one 'getting' or the one 'not getting' the rolls.

Last week I played great, each time I got to the table I won. But out of 10 games, the nine was slopped in by my opponents 6 times. How can I feel bad? I let the 'jelly rolls' get to me.. How do I feel good? I accept the fact that this is just part of the game of 9 ball. I might be me next time getting the 'jelly rolls'

But, I agree with you on the 'nice game' comments from opponents

Tom_In_Cincy
05-26-2002, 12:28 PM
OneSnatch,
You are correct. We aren't at a level to shoot a match (race to 5, 7, 9 or 11) without making LOTS of mistakes.

But, on average, neither are our opponents. Even with the pros it comes down to the player that makes the fewest mistakes.

But, I am not saying the WIN isn't tainted because of the opponents 'off day' at the table. Its how you deal with the feeling of not really winning but your opponent just lost.

It's and Acceptance thing. Get over it.. go on, and now you know they have to play their 'game' or they can expect to get beat. They now have to respect your game because, when they don't play as good as they can.. your chances of wining have improved.

Did I figure out who you are by your name? NO, but I do remember some great times with similar names..

jjinfla
05-27-2002, 06:03 AM
Hey Sid, Watching the pros play I see them make a lot of bonehead plays that I wonder what the heck happened. So I figure if they make the mistakes then I take it for granted that the rest of us are going to make a lot more mistakes. And that is what pool is all about. Let your opponent make the mistake and you take advantage of it. Wish I had a dollar for every 8 or 9 ball I missed. Or got hooked by the 8 ball after shooting the 7. Some days a person just isn't feeling well, or has other problems and the concentration just isn't there, and it doesn't take much to miss a shot. Then too you have to think that these guys you are playing might be concerned about your game and are worried that if they miss you will run out and they can't deal with the added pressure. Jake~~~tries to keep a straight face when the opponent messes up.

Sid_Vicious
05-27-2002, 06:18 AM
Saw somthing yesterday in a tournament that expresses what you said. A friend of mine(who split for first place in the end) took ball in hand once and missed the short shot, w-a-a-a-y wrong for his ability. So your point is well taken, everybody hoses up at any given time. But ya know I also saw J Lee and K Corr follow each other with uncustomary chokes(for their level) on a hung nineball and a not so difficult carom for the win, it happened three times in a row as best I remember. Yea, the best get stung, thanks for reminding me....sid

Rod
05-28-2002, 02:41 AM
Sid I never looked at it as a subconscious effort, at least not anytime in recent years. They miss balls I win, I miss they win, not much to think about really if your there to win! Now if you want to break it apart an analyze whether you have a soft spot or feel guilty about what you think might be a cheap win, then you DO! Then your not committed to playing your best game for the win. Now you have given yourself guide lines on a good/bad win. We all have missed the important shot and lost, or have received it. Win the match and express yourself it whatever manner you choose. I guess you are gambling or playing in a tournament to win?

05-28-2002, 03:28 AM
Tom...

That's Funny!

RG Chapiesky in SC