PDA

View Full Version : Jumping up fix!

superstroke
01-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Can someone suggest to me a good way to eliminate jumping up? I don't do it often, but if someone has something for me to think about that might eliminate that, that would be awsome. Thanks in advance.

Rod
01-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Well as simple as it sounds, finish your stroke and stay down untill the o/b hits the back of the pocket.

Rod

GeraldG
01-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Yeah, you really just have to discipline yourself to stay down and keep your head down. I don't know of any fix other than that. Don't stand up until the ball either goes in the pocket or stops rolling.

recoveryjones
01-17-2005, 12:54 AM
In my regular practice routine I'll throw out all 15 balls and shoot them in not worrying about shape.The main idea of this drill is to focus on keeping my head down until the ball goes in or the cue ball stops rolling.The hard part is keeping your head down even when you know you've missed a shot.It take disipline and desire.After awhile it just becomes part of you.

My friend used to stand behind me with the butt of his cue hovering about 2 inches above my head.Lift my head and bang, here comes an instant headache..LOL.

You can also lose a bunch of cash and when you get tired of this you will learn to keep your head down. Best of luck, RJ

PQQLK9
01-17-2005, 12:55 AM
I like Jimmy Reid's advice, "stay down forever". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimmy Mendoza
01-17-2005, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote superstroke:</font><hr> Can someone suggest to me a good way to eliminate jumping up? I don't do it often, but if someone has something for me to think about that might eliminate that, that would be awsome. Thanks in advance. <hr /></blockquote>

If you notice, when most people jump up it usually starts with the bridge hand lifting off of the table, or the right heel (if you're right handed) lifting off of the ground. If you make sure that your bridge hand and your right heel stay in place throughout the shot, chances are you won't jump up.

pooltchr
01-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Finish every shot! Pause long enough to see if your tip ended down toward the table and beyond the original cb position. This is a good time to see if you are still aiming at the same spot you started aiming for. Great feedback for any flaws in your stroke!
Steve

jjinfla
01-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Picture where you want the CB to stop then stay down and follow it with your eyes until it gets there.

I was watching Tracy Majors Hines yesterday and she actually did this a few tmes during her match. It appeared she was practicing her form during the match because she stayed down extra long at times.

She is gooood!

Jake

Chopstick
01-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Golfers have a gizmo for this. It's a headband with a string attached to the forehead part of it. Put the headband on and run the string from your forehead down to your crotch. On the other end of the string is a big honking fish hook. You get the picture. It sure keeps golfers from raising their heads. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Cane
01-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Nick, I like that advice. When I play I stay down in finish position until every ball on the table quits rolling unless one of them is going to hit me or my cue... then I do a little pick and roll to get out of the way. Staying down that long gives you great feedback on what went right with a shot, OR what went wrong with a shot.

Later,
Bob

Sid_Vicious
01-17-2005, 11:19 AM
It helps to concentrate on watching the path of the CB instead of the OB after impact. The finish includes you inspecting your form, that in itelf makes the ending far less likley to allow you to jump. If you find you are shifting your weight toward your toes for balance, that's a giveaway. Balance your stance back toward your heels in pre-stroke...sid~~~still jumps himself at times of anticipation and will have to revisit all of the ideas presented here in this thread himself

cheesemouse
01-17-2005, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy Mendoza:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote superstroke:</font><hr> Can someone suggest to me a good way to eliminate jumping up? I don't do it often, but if someone has something for me to think about that might eliminate that, that would be awsome. Thanks in advance. <hr /></blockquote>

If you notice, when most people jump up it usually starts with the bridge hand lifting off of the table, or the right heel (if you're right handed) lifting off of the ground. If you make sure that your bridge hand and your right heel stay in place throughout the shot, chances are you won't jump up. <hr /></blockquote>

Superstroke,

I think Jimmy said it all with his reply. In addition to what Jimmy suggested you might try curling your finger tips slightly into the cloth. After all you really just need to get the shot off before it's OK to start some natural 'getting up' move...in other words don't get to crazy about form over function...

DickLeonard
01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I used a bungee cord with a neck brace. Put your forward foot in the loop and the brace around your neck and adjust so you can't move up. I should have patent it now the Golfers are benefiting from my discovery.####