PDA

View Full Version : A Way to See How Much You Twist...

nhp
01-17-2005, 03:42 AM
I figured this out a long time ago (although I'm sure I'm not the first), and I just remembered it today. An easy way to see if you are twisting your cue when you shoot, and how much, is to use the mechanical bridge as your cue. Just take some practice strokes and look at the moosehead, and see how each side veers up and down. This can give you a feel about what you are doing with your wrist when you execute. Mine I keep it fairly steady until my follow thru, which I twist inwards quite a bit.

For those who didn't understand me, just find a mech. bridge with a smooth 'shaft' and take some practice strokes with it and watch the top end of it going side to side.

Popcorn
01-17-2005, 12:27 PM
The important thing is what you do with the information. Some people who see themselves on tape for the first time don't like what they see. Not everything you do is bad, it may just be a little nuance in the stroke and may even be a good thing and should not be messed with. A player can get themselves nuts unnecessarily tinkering with their game.

SpiderMan
01-17-2005, 03:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> The important thing is what you do with the information. Some people who see themselves on tape for the first time don't like what they see. Not everything you do is bad, it may just be a little nuance in the stroke and may even be a good thing and should not be messed with. A player can get themselves nuts unnecessarily tinkering with their game. <hr /></blockquote>

Another thing is that you can be misled by the tape if you don't set it up properly.

When you stroke, even if you are perfect side-to-side, you will always have some up and down motion of the shaft (unless you are also moving your upper arm). This is normal.

If you set up your video camera perfectly on line with the shot (in the same vertical plane), you'll see that you are fine side-to-side. But, if you set up the camera slightly off to one side, the cue will appear to be moving side to side even though you are stroking it just the same. It's an illusion, and you don't realize it because the playback is only 2-dimensional. When filming from above and a little off to the side, your natural up/down shaft movement can look like side-to-side.

First time I was taped, this apparent sideways looping of my stroke worried the crap out of me because I couldn't detect it "live". Now I know to lay my cue on the table along the exact line of the shot before positioning my camcorder.

SpiderMan

DickLeonard
01-18-2005, 06:54 AM
I would practice stroking down the dividing line of my kitchen table it can show you how much you veer off or in my case not.

It is the best practice aid because the fellows in the poolhall don't know your honing your skills.

Just a tip about using the bridge, I didn't like the sideways action of the cue. Then with a little tinkering I came up with putting my thumb on the butt end and pushed with my thumb, keeping the shaft straight.####

Brad
01-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Someone once told me that if you strike your forearm square with the butt of your stick at the end of your stroke, you're straight. If not, you're off.

PQQLK9
01-18-2005, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brad:</font><hr> Someone once told me that if you strike your forearm square with the butt of your stick at the end of your stroke, you're straight. If not, you're off. <hr /></blockquote>

You know ... I do that, I notice it more since I installed the Limbsaver.
http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/svlproducts/billiards/billiards.aspx

caedos
01-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Also - if you want to see if the cue is rolling with a wrist movement or changing grip - you can use a sticky red dot that's available at an office supply place. Put the dot (or any kind of marking or marked tape) on the ferrule, and shoot so that the dot is visible on top. It can then be easily seen whether your cue rolls or hitches during your stroke, and at what point that happens.

Just FYI,

Carl

JimS
01-20-2005, 06:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> I would practice stroking down the dividing line of my kitchen table it can show you how much you veer off or in my case not.

It is the best practice aid because the fellows in the poolhall don't know your honing your skills.

Just a tip about using the bridge, I didn't like the sideways action of the cue. Then with a little tinkering I came up with putting my thumb on the butt end and pushed with my thumb, keeping the shaft straight.#### <hr /></blockquote>

BOOK!! We NEED the book!! The whole freaking WORLD needs the book!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif...wish I was in Troy.

DickLeonard
01-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Thank You Jim I guess I have to start going thru my old posts. Dick

DickLeonard
01-21-2005, 06:15 AM
Joe Canton would draw a straight line down his ferrule and aim like he was using a gun. ####