PDA

View Full Version : tell me who hasn't done it

justbrake
01-17-2005, 05:01 AM
letting up on a player in a match ,I had my first match of the season and there i was spotting a couple of games to a player and I went ahead on him right away 3-2 then I let up on him and let him back in the game and before I new it I was down and couldn't recover, missing shots and his game became my game he was shooting way to good now (over his head), anyway I lost,all I wanted to do was to get a game from him, I can't beleive I did this and after watching the movie where paul newman says in (the color of money) never let up on your opponant NEVER there i went and did it myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

GeraldG
01-17-2005, 06:08 AM
In the beginning I was bad about that. Now I never do it. I'm not sure why I did it. Maybe I thought "OK, I've proved my point now.", or I just felt bad for them...I dunno. Maybe I just didn't want anyone upset with me? Now I don't care at all. I prefer for them to get upset with me....I try to figure out how I can play them and get them rattled (without sharking them). When I see they are getting visibly upset, I start bearing down even more. Even if I am so far ahead the only way to lose is walk away, I just try to play harder. Once I got to the point that I had to start giving up weight in some of my matches, I learned that lesson pretty quickly. Especially if you are giving weight, you can't afford to let your opponent have even one ball. Make them TAKE anything they get. If you're playing, you might as well play to win.

landshark77
01-17-2005, 09:01 AM
I've done it...and sometimes I still may...I do it with lower ranked and higher ranked players. I guess that deep down I feel that handicaps suck and if I am gonna play pool I want it to be mano a mano, so I will play until the race is even and then I will buckle down. I have now come to realize that this is totally stupid especially in tourney/league play. Not only is pool a game of skill, but it has an extreme luck factor too. If I give away a few games to make an even race and then the balls are not rolling my way or my opponent slops in too many of theirs then I finish a loser. In recent matches, despite the handicap gaps, I play to win from game 1.

Cane
01-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm bad about doing the same thing with one friend of mine... He's a good shotmaker, not much on cue ball control. Anyways, we'll play a race to 7 and I give him 4 on the wire, I'll get up 5/4 or 6/4 and just back off for some reason. He should never win this even with the spot, but he's about 50/50 with 4 on the wire.

Anyways, bad habit I need to get out of. Did the same thing in a 9-Ball tourney recently. Race to 9, I got up 4-0, ended up losing 9-7. I think my mindset was "Hell, I got this one easy" and just let off a little... and it doesn't take much before you're looking at taking a left turn.

Later,
Bob

Chopstick
01-17-2005, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> letting up on a player in a match ,I had my first match of the season and there i was spotting a couple of games to a player and I went ahead on him right away 3-2 then I let up on him and let him back in the game and before I new it I was down and couldn't recover, missing shots and his game became my game he was shooting way to good now (over his head), anyway I lost,all I wanted to do was to get a game from him, I can't beleive I did this and after watching the movie where paul newman says in (the color of money) never let up on your opponant NEVER there i went and did it myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That's the Pool Gods talking to you. If you don't take the win, it will be taken from you.

Popcorn
01-17-2005, 12:36 PM
What do you consider letting up, it can be hard to define. Taking a chance when you did not need to, not playing safe, socializing and not paying attention, what actually happened that you can point to and annualize to be sure it doesn't happen again? Often a player is playing a little over their head and when they come back to earth they feel like they may have let up when actually nothing really happened other then they lost playing their average game they would normally expect to play.

Cane
01-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Popcorn, When I'm in a match I think almost nothing. When I'm in the chair I stare blankly at the middle of the table, taking in what's happening, but not really trying to "think" about anything. When I'm at the table, same thing. I know where the cue ball is going, I play shots when I should, I play safe when I should.

MY "letting up" is getting ahead and letting my mind drift off to what's happening at other tables, talking to the waitresses, taking chances on tough shots when easy safe was the better choice, etc. I just "get my head out of the game" and once I do, it's hard to get it back in. I tend to do this on matches where this is nothing or little on the line or when I'm playing a friend. I got started doing this when I opened a pool room and figured out really fast that if you beat your customers brains out every time, then you'll end up sitting in the room all night with nobody to play a game with, and I love to play, so I got into the habit of playing off so I'd have a game someone to play pool with all night. Keep in mind that my room was in a small town where there aren't very many "proficient" players. IMHO, opening a pool room was the WORST thing that ever happened to my game. It's closed now... has been for two weeks. I can already tell the difference. It's like that "killer instinct" is starting to creep back in.

Later,
Bob

straightpool
01-17-2005, 02:45 PM
I think pool isn't any differant than most other sports. Many individuals and teams play to their competition. If they believe that their opponent is insuperior to them, they may find themselves playing at that level also. On the other hand. Someone much better than you can bring your game up. More concentration,more focus. Which all in all levels the playing field when there should definately be an advantage. I've always tried to play the table. The table knows nothing of my opponent. Good advice, only if I followed it all the time:)

justbrake
01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> What do you consider letting up, it can be hard to define. Taking a chance when you did not need to, not playing safe, socializing and not paying attention, what actually happened that you can point to and annualize to be sure it doesn't happen again? Often a player is playing a little over their head and when they come back to earth they feel like they may have let up when actually nothing really happened other then they lost playing their average game they would normally expect to play. <hr /></blockquote>

let me say this, it was like (dejavu) I let up on alot of weak players but this one came back on me and played shots exactly the way I would have done ,it was like looking in a crystal ball and seeing yourself play, then in turn I played like he did

I watched some of the other players in the league last time around and I woundered why they beat there opponents so bad as I didn't do the same ,always gave some slack, but now I know, this [censored] ain't going to happen anymore

Popcorn
01-17-2005, 04:02 PM
That can happen easier then you may think, you play a little worse and he plays a little better and everything changes. Often games that look one sided from the side lines may be closer then one may think. A little change and one player drills the other. The next time it can be the other way around. I can't tell from your story which came first the chicken or the egg. Did you get a little weak and he came on, or did he come on and you got weak? Like Paul Newman said in the movie last night, "these things can be complicated". Either way it can be a problem.

justbrake
01-17-2005, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> That can happen easier then you may think, you play a little worse and he plays a little better and everything changes. Often games that look one sided from the side lines may be closer then one may think. A little change and one player drills the other. The next time it can be the other way around. I can't tell from your story which came first the chicken or the egg. Did you get a little weak and he came on, or did he come on and you got weak? Like Paul Newman said in the movie last night, "these things can be complicated". Either way it can be a problem. <hr /></blockquote>

I delibertly aimed at missing and the turnaround happened.

scottycoyote
01-17-2005, 05:16 PM
try reading the book "pleasures of smallmotions"....i bought it a year or so ago and thought it sucked, but im rereading it now and already its helping me. This book doesnt talk abotu form or shape or fundamentals, so dont expect that when you buy it, its all about getting a grip on your mind and controlling yourself