PDA

View Full Version : Color of Money

jjinfla
01-17-2005, 06:21 AM
AMC broadcast COM last night. Twice. The first version was the regular movie. Then they followed with a version that had subtitles explaining different things about the making of the movie.

Director Scorsese knew nothing about pool.

I didn't know that most of the movie was filmed in and around Chicago. Opening bar scene was at Fitgerald's in Berwyn Ill and the second bar scene was at St Paul's Billiards on Fullerton.

They also said that Newman and Gleason played some pool. The first three games they played was for $1 a game and Newman won. The 4th game was for $200 and Gleason won. Newman said, "he hustled me".

But they never mentioned anything about the license plate - TK6.

Jake

BLACKHEART
01-17-2005, 07:22 AM
I've wondered about that licence plate #, every time that I've watched the movie...JER

JimS
01-17-2005, 07:44 AM
What's up with the license number?

dg-in-centralpa
01-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I taped it and watched a little bit of it. Funny that no studio would do it even with Paul Newman attached to it. The only way it was made is because of Tom Cruise.

DG - can't wait to see the rest of it

dr_dave
01-18-2005, 08:23 AM
FYI, my Aug-Oct'04 articles (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/index.html) describe and present shots from various billiards movies, including "The Color of Money." I also have posted on my website video demonstrations (NV A.2-A.16 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/index.html)) of many of the more interesting shots from the movies. Enjoy!

PQQLK9
01-18-2005, 08:47 AM
But do you know about the TK6 tag? Do you know, do you know? (I don't) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dr_dave
01-18-2005, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> But do you know about the TK6 tag? Do you know, do you know? (I don't) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>
Sorry, I don't know about "TK6." Hopefully, somebody out there in CCB land knows and can respond.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-18-2005, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> But do you know about the TK6 tag? Do you know, do you know? (I don't) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

After pondering this for the last 5 years I have come to the conclusion that maybe it doesn't mean anything /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cueball1950
01-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Since this was shot in and around chicago could the TK stand for Tom Karabotsis and the car be on loan from Tom. Just a wild shot in the dark...but better than anything i guess...ask CC to ask him...........mike

jjinfla
01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
The camera had a closeup on the plate at least twice. I thought maybe it refered to the liquor company he worked for. Or an award he received from them. Or "The King" six times in a row? Was he the best salesman for 6 years in a row? It just seems strange that they would have a vanity plate without explaining it.

Jake