PDA

View Full Version : DCC 2005 1/16/05

Fred Agnir
01-17-2005, 10:53 AM
There are over 400 players entered in the banks and over 400 players entered in the 1-hole. Ergo, the event is taking a long ass time. The banks should get over tonight (1/17) late. There about 16 players left. Efren destroyed Alex 3-0 playing nearly perfect bank pool. No surprise.

The one pocket tournament started yesterday 1/16. I played my first serious one-pocket tournaments match. My match started at 10:15PM and ended at about 12:15AM. I think anyone who really wants to learn to play this game must play in tournament situations. I probably learned as much in the five games I played than from anything else.

Bob Jewett and Jimmy B. were sweating my match, but my uninspiring play had Bob walking away after game 1 in disgust mumbling something about paint drying. I shooed Jimmy away on game three cuz I was getting nervous.

Luckily, my opponent who moved well couldn't out bank or out shoot me, and I got a little more aggressive. So I snuck through him 3-2. I am now an official one-pocket undefeated tournament monster.

Action note:

The action story of the night: crazy spots. There's a camera crew waltzing around the entire area filming a independent documentary on the Classic. The woofing sounds fixed and film-embellished to the uninitiated, but it is, so far, as real as it gets. The match of the late evening was Gabe Owens vs. Ricky Bird. Race to 4, one-pocket, 10-7 for three and half large. If Ricky called a safety, after his shot he could move the cueball up to one cigarett length away as the crow flies. That is, he was allowed to place the cueball on the other side of an object ball. So, if he had the following leave after a safetety, he could place the cueball anywhere withing a cigarette length including spots like A or B:

START(
%AP8N6%BN9T9%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EL7I7%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK0U3%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PO7M9%QN2N7%RQ5M8
)END

In Ricky's own words, "I got a spot where I can't lose, and I'm losing!" Gabe had little trouble winning 4-1 . Although Ricky asked for the spot, it didn't seem he had the best strategy, opting to shoot wide open rather than play more funky safe, lift and place moves. Gabe showed that he is also a force to reckon with in the 1-hole, and I expect him near the finish line in the end.

Fred

P.S. Ronnie Allen is looking more and more like Buddy Hackett everyday.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Ronnie and Buddy Hackett

I wonder how many CCBer's would know who Buddy Hackett was?

Love Bug?

DavidMorris
01-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Ooh, ooh, I know Buddy Hackett!!! He was hilarious, and every bit as "blue" as Red Foxx if you ever caught him live. He could make a sailor blush... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks again for the inside scoopage, Fred!

JimS
01-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks Fred. Not the same as having Bcn offer the classic live but the next best thing. I appreciate you taking the time.

Nostroke
01-18-2005, 05:40 AM
His blue stuff wasnt the least bit clever just blue- I think people just laughed in embarrassment

Fred Agnir
01-21-2005, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Ronnie and Buddy Hackett

I wonder how many CCBer's would know who Buddy Hackett was?

Love Bug? <hr /></blockquote>

Buddy (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/1075/Events/1075/hackett_buddy2?path=pgallery&amp;path_key=Hackett,%20B uddy)

vs.

Ronnie (http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/showpicture.cfm?eventnum=82&amp;photographernum=1&amp;picn um=4980)

You make the call.

Fred

9 Ball Girl
01-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey! Wasn't Buddy Hacket in a commercial where he popped a whole ice cream bar (like a Dove bar) into his mouth??? This is back from when I was about 7 years old.

DavidMorris
01-21-2005, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Buddy (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/1075/Events/1075/hackett_buddy2?path=pgallery&amp;path_key=Hackett,%20B uddy)

vs.

Ronnie (http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/showpicture.cfm?eventnum=82&amp;photographernum=1&amp;picn um=4980)

You make the call.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

LOL! The resemblance is striking, that's for sure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Howdy from L'ville

I watched 2 of Charlie Bryant's matches today. He plays good. He lost to Corey though. Corey plays good too.

I talked to Stan and Landon Shuffett ( Landon went 2 and 2 ), Sarah Rousey, hondo, and williebetmore

bought a couple of pics from Diana Hoppe.

How would you shoot this?

If you were George Breedlove you would do this.

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg9V9%Q^6Z1
)END

George was down 5-2 to a Japanese guy and he came back and beat the Japanese guy 7-5.

I watched Breedlove's matches last night. He plays good for someone who doesn't play much.

Johnny Archer and Kid Delicious played a 7:30 match and didn't finish until an hour after everybody else.

sorry for the disjointed post

DavidMorris
01-22-2005, 10:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>How would you shoot this?

If you were George Breedlove you would do this.

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg9V9%Q^6Z1
)END <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Wally, is it me or is that WEI diagram hosed up? It doesn't do anything for me other than put the CB on the headstring 1 diamond up and the letter A near the side pocket. Looks like a breakshot setup. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheesemouse
01-22-2005, 10:33 AM
DITTO...

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> Hey Wally, is it me or is that WEI diagram hosed up? <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry about that. Strange computer I'm using.

Well the afternoon matches are over. I may make a mistake here. I did not take notes and the matches all run together in my addled brain.

First round Mika caught the bye, Efren put Breedlove out 7-3 IIRC (It wasn't that close). Saez put Bustamante out hill-hill. Saez beat some Russian guy on the tv table. It was funny. There were only about 5 people watching the tv table and about 150 watching Efren/Breedlove.

Next round Santos caught the bye. Efren beat Baraks on the tv table 7-3 IIRC(It wasn't that close). Saez put Bustamante out. Mika put Corey out hill-hill.

Next round Mika caught the bye. Baraks beat Santos 7-0 on the tv table. He is really in stroke. Santos got cold from the bye I think. Saez and Efren went hill-hill. Saez rattled a bunny cut into the side. Efren ran out.

Everybody is now down to their last barrel, no buybacks.

At 8:00 it Mike/Efren and Saez/Baraks.

later

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr>Hey Wally, is it me or is that WEI diagram hosed up? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't remember the shot I was trying to post.

Here's a good one Breedlove made. He got too straight in on the 8 and drew the cb 3 rails for the 9

START(
%Ho6W4%I`8Z5%Pk4S1%QV8W7%UQ3Z6%VD9Q1%Wa3E0%Xi9Q1%[V1Y4%\R7Z7
%]D9P6%^_2D0%eB4b1
)END

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Efren Reyes is a pretty good pool player. Against Breedlove he drew back and off the rail and bumped the 9 out of the way at perfect speed, leaving the cb at "A".

START(
%AN7O5%EL4Z3%Fm8D5%Gi4W3%HF9Q2%Ik6E7%P[5V3%Qj1C6%UE6Z9%VJ9Z3
%Wg5D2%XM6Z1%]j2D7%^h9C7%bN9Z1%cT9X1%dZ3V8
)END

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 04:38 PM
If anyone is interested I will post the final results tonight, assuming my internet connection works.

It should be over by 11:00 pm since Charlie Williams, Johnny Archer, and Kid Delicious are all out of the tournament.

I think Efren is a lock for a repeat of all-around champ since he won the 1P division.

film at 11.........

dg-in-centralpa
01-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Wally,
Thanks for the updates. Sounds like Efren was shooting the numbers off the balls. I definitely want to hear more.
DG

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Wally,
Thanks for the updates. Sounds like Efren was shooting the numbers off the balls. I definitely want to hear more.
DG <hr /></blockquote>

Well, since you asked /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Efren beat Mika 7-0 on the tv table. Efren shot an accu-stats 1.000, just like he did against Jimmy Wetch last year. I never saw Willie Mosconi play but from what I have seen Efren has the best cue ball control ever in the universe.

Mika just sat shaking his head.

Baraks beat Saez 7-1. Saez had a chance to make it 7-2 but missed a long shot. Baraks is reminding me of Gabe Owen in the Open. Shooting the light out, and getting rolls.

I met "Chanpagne Eddie" Kelly and congratulated him on his induction into the Hall of Fame. He seemed non-plussed. I think he wanted to do well in this tourney and was disappointed in his performance.

Wally &lt;~~ mind reader

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Baraks out against Saez. Final game. Saez missed a makeable cut on the 4. Baraks shot this.

START(
%Dq7R6%GD1Q3%ID3I2%PJ7L5%Ur8Z2%Vq9S9%WD5X3%Xq5S5%[C6D6%\C9G2
%]p2Q7%^L1L6%eC2a3
)END

7-9 Combo. Game over.

Love him or hate him he's shooting good.

Finals start at 10.....

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Santos locks up Baraks big time.

Baraks masses out of it and wins the game.

START(
%B[0Z3%CO8G3%Ed4E8%GF2O4%Ih6P4%PD6O1%eA3a4%_Y4Y5%`J1T 8%aD8P1
)END

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Efren defeatd Baraks 7-1 (It was not that close)

I really don't have any great shots to diagram, it was like ...this is boring...he never had a hard shot.

Efren is a freakin' pool god. I feel honored to have witnessed his mastery on the table.

When I left Kid Delicious and Gabe were playing even 9-ball (or so I heard) but I am tired and did not stick around.

I heard Phoebe Choy was there and I wanted to get Alex. P's sig but I never saw him

later peeps...............

Nostroke
01-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Kid D had it up to +3 at one point but by the time i had left, it was even. I think KD droppped a few pounds in the last few months, a few more to go.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 09:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr>...I think KD droppped a few pounds in the last few months, a few more to go.
, <hr /></blockquote>

uH YEAH, HE HAS A FEW MORE TO GO /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice guy though.

Wally&lt;~~ wishes he was young enough to watch the action until dawn.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Rachel Abbink is hot /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good night /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif