PDA

View Full Version : Need Leveling Advice

BritzSticks
01-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Guys..I got a New Gold Crown a few weeks ago for a new Poolroom I had built onto our house. It's a Tad out of level, probably from Settling in. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a Website or Anywhere else that can teach me a Method of Leveling. Fortunately, Gold Crowns have these Great Ball Bearing Foot levelers..but if I just start Screwing around..I KNOW I'm going to get myself in trouble..:)..Any Help, as usual, is Greatly appreciated..All the Best Guys and Gals...Nick..:)

Pizza Bob
01-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Nick:
The dealer that sold you the table and set it up should re-level the table for you at N/C. It is usually more than the leg levelers that need adjustment - I believe that is what you were referring to - the GCIV, which is what I assume you got, has, I believe, 21 slate levelers, which are used rather than shims. A machinist's level is used (NOT a carpenter's level). There have been other methods detailed on the board here (try doing a search)- I recall one using a piece of glass and a pool ball, which sounded pretty slick. For what you paid for a new table, your dealer should get it right - usually most will include a re-visit, at least once, after the table has settled. God luck and have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cane
01-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Have any friends that are machinists? I level the tables in most of the pool rooms and bars in this are and I use 3 Starrett Machinists Levels that are accurate to within 5 thousandths of an inch per foot. I use three, one across each end and one down the center, but you can get by with just one, if you can find someone to borrow one from.

Note: These are NOT your garden variety hardware store levels... these puppies cost about $425 each. A carpenters level will not be accurate enough to get a pool table as level as it needs to be.

later,
Bob

Troy
01-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Pizza Bob and Cane are both correct... A) The installer should visit at least once at no charge after the initial installation to re-level the table/slate after it settles, and B) only a Machinist's Level (12" preferably) is accurate enough.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Nick:
The dealer that sold you the table and set it up should re-level the table for you at N/C. It is usually more than the leg levelers that need adjustment - I believe that is what you were referring to - the GCIV, which is what I assume you got, has, I believe, 21 slate levelers, which are used rather than shims. A machinist's level is used (NOT a carpenter's level). There have been other methods detailed on the board here (try doing a search)- I recall one using a piece of glass and a pool ball, which sounded pretty slick. For what you paid for a new table, your dealer should get it right - usually most will include a re-visit, at least once, after the table has settled. God luck and have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>