PDA

View Full Version : easy to make STROKE TRAINER

eburgslim
01-18-2005, 02:28 AM
What you need to make this STOKE TRAINER is go to you're local hardware store have them cut a 1/4 inch thick piece of fiber board into a 22 inch x 5 inch rectangle. This will be the base. Then buy JB weld Quick set epoxy or other epoxy that sets fast and strong. You will need a wood dowel the aproximent diameter of a pencil and 6 inches long. Measure this dowel 4 inches from the end and cut clean, cut at a 45 degree angle in the middle. epoxy the cut pieces to form a v. allow to set. Next, epoxy the 2 inch dowel to the point of the glued dowels to form a Y. Allow to set. Attach the Y shaped stroke aligner vertically to either of the short ends. It should be one inch from the edge and centered.
How to use: Place stroke trainer on hard flat surface with the Y shaped stroke aligner nearest you. Place bridge hand (works for left or right handed players) on far end of stroke trainer in usual stroke position. Place que stick in bridge hand and stroke. Your que stick should be in contact with the stroke aligner. Note the alignment of your stroke with the stroke trainer. Your stroke should stay straight and your que stick should stay in even contact with the stroke aligner from beginning to end. It has given me more confidence in my stroke knowing that it is straight. the stroke trainer is great for identifying any tendencies to deviate from a true stroke. Like elbow misalignment or twisting of the wrist while following through on a stroke. Appreciate feedback. Hope this is helpful.

DavidMorris
01-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Pictures? I'm having trouble visualizing this.

I have a straight stroke myself, but I'd be interested for my relatives who want to play but have lousy fundamentals.

Of course the old Coke or beer bottle trick works well too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-18-2005, 06:45 AM
http://www.stroketrainer.com/

DavidMorris
01-18-2005, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> http://www.stroketrainer.com/ <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, I've seen that one before, but that doesn't sound like what was being described here. That trainer is a flat board with 4 dowels mounted at the end and a "fin" guide plate at the other end (and way overpriced at $150-$200 just for that, IMO).

Here he is describing V and Y shapes and 45 degree dowel angles, which is what I had a hard time visualizing as a stroke trainer. It sounds almost like he's using a Y shaped dowel construction for the butt alignment and nothing at the tip?

SpiderMan
01-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey Wally,

The pictures you linked to don't seem to be the same thing. I don't see a "V" as seemed to be described in the original post, it just looks like a flat board with four vertical dowels stuck at the end. Maybe my monitor doesn't show enough detail?

BTW, if that's all it is I can't imagine someone buying it for $150 instead of rigging their own, or using a beer bottle.

SpiderMan

bluey2king
01-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I also can't picture this to make one. If you made one your self maybe you could post some pics. Please include pics of you using it, so we get an idea of the technique used.

PQQLK9
01-18-2005, 10:26 AM
_______________________Y__

HTH /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GeraldG
01-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Actually, I don't see how these devices are much help at all. It seems like the stroke you use with these devices is not going to be the stroke you use while you're playing.

I just practice lagging the cue ball down the table with a medium stroke and keeping the cue extended so that the cue ball comes back and hits my cue tip. If your stroke isn't straight, you can't do that consistently. And, it's free...and you don't have to build anything.

JohnnyP
01-18-2005, 10:51 AM
You are too late: Some guy in the UK has a patent on it:

http://tinyurl.com/3swqx

SpiderMan
01-18-2005, 11:41 AM
That link didn't work for me, but anyway a patent is not an issue. An individual may legally make just about anything for his own use/consumption, regardless of whether it is patented. You just can't make them to sell.

SpiderMan

JohnnyP
01-18-2005, 02:08 PM
I googled private use patent and found this link:

http://www.pto-ag.com/questpto.htm

I pasted Q/A 6 below:

Q-6. Can someone make my invention for his own use?
A-6. No. No one has the right to make a device claimed in an unexpired patent without the permission of the patentee, even though the maker wishes to construct the machine solely for his private use, and not for sale.

Reading patents can be fun. If you know the patent number, go to:

http://www.uspto.gov/ and follow the links to search by patent number.

Enter patent number 6267685

If you don't know the number, then you would click advanced search, type in a keyword like billiards, then scroll through the results until you find something interesting.

SpiderMan
01-18-2005, 03:20 PM
That's very interesting, it appears I have been mistaken in my assumption about personal usage. OTOH the guy who owns that web site is an engineer, not an attorney, so while he's probably a better person and more honest, I wonder if he may be mistaken?

SpiderMan

PQQLK9
01-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I could not open the images but it seems to me that the item is more of a playing aid (bridge,rest) than a training aid.

JohnnyP
01-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Maybe CeeBee can get an answer from his patent attorney.

I looked up the Predator patents over the weekend (my new Viking deflects like a beotch). I called them to see if I they would modify the shaft, but they don't do it. I asked if I would have to pay a royalty if I had someone else do it, and the guy said no, not if it's for your own use. I told him he better check on that, and he said he would.

Anyway, I clicked on the links to the prior art, and saw patents on a pie spliced buggy whip, a baseball bat, and a cue. All about a hundred years ago.

You have to study the claims, though. You can get a patent for a new use of an existing thing.

I guess the main thing about the Predator is that the end of the shaft is light weight and flexible.

Saving up for a birdseye P2.

Popcorn
01-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I would think that would be the case. Many factories have very sophisticated machines they build themselves and would have no problem copying someone else's machines for their own use. I would think that is where it would apply. The thing about patent law is it is civil law. If you built an item for your own use and the guy wanted to sue you, what would his damages be? The profit on one device, hardly worth thousands in attorneys fees. On top of that, since it would be so frivolous he would undoubtedly find himself responsible for any costs he caused the person he was attempting to sue. A patent fight starts in the 10's of thousands of dollars and require the person trying to protect themselves to spend that kind of money. That is one of the reasons a patent on many items are worthless. If someone decided to steal it there is nothing you could do about it and you could easily spend more then you would have ever made on the selling of the item in your life time trying to protect it. That is the case with many of the billiard related items, they aren't worth anything anyway, no one is making a million bucks.

Popcorn
01-18-2005, 05:04 PM
They do work. Most people can't drive a nail and would have no choice but to buy a stroke trainer. If they can build one themselves then they can, but the concept does work and pretty quickly.

eburgslim
01-18-2005, 05:55 PM
here is picture of my revised stroke trainer http://www.iuploads.com/uploads/7d9f652d93.jpg (http://url=http://www.iuploads.com)]iuploads[/url]

Paul_Mon
01-18-2005, 07:47 PM
TAP...TAP...TAP

Looks simple to use, easy to make and inexpensive.
GREAT JOB

Paul Mon

Rod
01-18-2005, 08:36 PM
What about the finish on the cue? Seems is should have something soft in the Y. For you pendulum strokers out there the butt goes up and down. When it's out of the Y, there is no guide. If were using the straight line concept, you can do that between the cushion and the wood rail. If at home on the line where the kitchen table separates. BTW your hard board needs some finish sanding on the rough edges. Just a few thoughts to consider.

Rod

Paul_Mon
01-19-2005, 01:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> What about the finish on the cue? Seems is should have something soft in the Y.
Rod <hr /></blockquote>

I've got this stuff for my hunting bow called "moleskin" it's adhesive backed to stick anywhere and it comes in camo.

Paul Mon

Rich R.
01-19-2005, 04:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> I've got this stuff for my hunting bow called "moleskin" it's adhesive backed to stick anywhere and it comes in camo. <hr /></blockquote>
"Moleskin" can be purchased in most grocery stores and pharmacies. Look in the section that has items for foot care and you should find it. Although it won't be in camo., it will be flesh colored.

chefjeff
01-19-2005, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eburgslim:</font><hr> here is picture of my revised stroke trainer <hr /></blockquote>

You can't be a real pool player...you're wearing a wedding ring. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jeff Livingston

Cueless Joey
01-19-2005, 11:51 AM
http://joeyincali.mypicgallery.com/samsara/dscn0826_large.jpg
I've applied for a patent for this beauty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SpiderMan
01-19-2005, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I've applied for a patent for this beauty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

A cueball with no dots?

SpiderMan

Cueless Joey
01-19-2005, 12:55 PM
That's a red circle cue ball.
The choice of googans.