PDA

View Full Version : DCC 2005 1/17/05

Fred Agnir
01-18-2005, 10:22 AM
For those who were hoping that I would represent the CCBoard with an undefeated march to the finals in one-pocket... sorry folk. I ran up against Gerald Reichle, the guy who gave Bustamante his first loss in the Bank Pool event. Gerald is also a very good one-pocket player. And his skills aren't so esoteric, so I feel that I learned a ton in my 3-0 loss to him. I am able to replay in my mind what runs I should have executed and what shots I shouldn't have tried. I also can replay what banks I gave up and what banks I should have been firing at. All in all, a good lesson for me. I'd buy back in, but I have other commitments that make waiting for the re-draw out of the question.

Action:

It's funny, some of the action is so organized that it is reminiscent of the old challenge matches decades ago. And there are so many matches at prices at less than 5 large, the spectators have so many choices that they're almost non-chalant about it.

Here are some of the match ups that have happened in the last day or two:

Joyner vs. Deuel 4-ahead one-hole

Joyner gives up 10-6
Deuel has to shoot every shot using the bridge.

With this game, Deuel is still an A player. He uses the telescoping bridge and holds it in all kinds of configurations. At 4:00 AM, it still wasn’t finished.

Gabe Owens vs. Santo Sambajon, race to 8, I don’t know if there was any spot.

Gabe says this is his best game. He showed it. Aggressive moving with great smooth shot making. Gabe has leaped from obscurity to world-class play. And I’m dead serious about that “world-class” distinction. His US Open win was no fluke. He is the future. He runs over Santos with ease.

Frost vs. Bustamante on the television table, race to 7 one-hole, even game.

I recall seeing Frost 4 years ago playing one-pocket for high money. At the time I thought he was crazy , but today I can see how much his game has improved. due to the hardened games. He is a world-class one-pocket player and might challenge the top two or three U.S. players.

That being said, he outlasted Bustamante on the hill 7-6. I don’t think Bustamante concentrates on this game currrently, but I think he’s going to change it around. He has the potential with his creativity to become an all-time great. I believe this is the first time for Busty in the DCC. His banks results (top 5?) proves that he is more than just a 9-baller. I predict he’ll win the all-around.

Efren vs. Mika, no idea what spot playing one-hole, $30 a game.

That's right, $30 a game. Efren does this all the time. It's nothing but cheap lessons for Mika. And he looked glad to be paying it.

I will now go on a bit of a rant. The WPBA doesn’t allow their players to this venue. Not just playing, but even just being there. The gambling does get heavy. But the way the venue is set this year, the heavy over-the-top seems to be segrated to the bar area (where they’ve set up seven or eight 9’ Diamond Smart Tables. The stage-show gambling matchups have been on the TV table (with nobody filming) and has been very… tasteful. I don’t think this year there has been anything objectionable for the image of pool in the main tournament area. I hear they have a WPBA operative in the facilities to make that assessment. I hope he agrees. The tournament could use some WPBA players in it.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-18-2005, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

...I believe this is the first time for Busty in the DCC. ... <hr /></blockquote>

He was not there last year.

Thanks for the report.

Rich R.
01-18-2005, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I will now go on a bit of a rant. The WPBA doesn’t allow their players to this venue. Not just playing, but even just being there. The gambling does get heavy. But the way the venue is set this year, the heavy over-the-top seems to be segrated to the bar area (where they’ve set up seven or eight 9’ Diamond Smart Tables. The stage-show gambling matchups have been on the TV table (with nobody filming) and has been very… tasteful. I don’t think this year there has been anything objectionable for the image of pool in the main tournament area. I hear they have a WPBA operative in the facilities to make that assessment. I hope he agrees. The tournament could use some WPBA players in it. <hr /></blockquote>
Fred, I believe your rant is justified.

If the WPBA doesn't want their members gambling, that is between the organization and their membership. I know they want to protect their image, although it is common knowledge that a lot of the ladies gamble.
However, I can't understand why the WPBA will not let the ladies enter the official DCC tournaments. It would be good experience for the ladies to play heads up with the men and good exposure for the WPBA. I believe a few of the ladies would make a very good showing too.
It's a darn shame that the WPBA deprives the ladies a chance at making a few extra dollars at a tournament, when they do not have a conflicting event. IMHO, they are trying to control the ladies way too much.

PQQLK9
01-18-2005, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> However, I can't understand why the WPBA will not let the ladies enter the official DCC tournaments. It would be good experience for the ladies to play heads up with the men and good exposure for the WPBA. I believe a few of the ladies would make a very good showing too.
It's a darn shame that the WPBA deprives the ladies a chance at making a few extra dollars at a tournament, when they do not have a conflicting event. IMHO, they are trying to control the ladies way too much. <hr /></blockquote>

Jeanette Lee competed last year in the Banks and One Pocket I thought.

9 Ball Girl
01-18-2005, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I will now go on a bit of a rant. The WPBA doesn’t allow their players to this venue. Not just playing, but even just being there. <hr /></blockquote>Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if that's the case, where even if they're not playing that just being there is not allowed, then shouldn't they not be allowed in Valley Forge as well?

Fred Agnir
01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>

Jeanette Lee competed last year in the Banks and One Pocket I thought.
<hr /></blockquote>

http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showpost.php?p=90302&amp;postcount=4

Deeman2
01-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Fred,

Thanks for the fix for all our Jones out here. Have fun, keep it coming.

Deeman