PDA

View Full Version : Went to buy Olhausen laminate but chose an import!

mg175150
01-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I was 99% certain I was going to purchase the Olhausen Reno Laminate for about $2100 total. I went to the dealer to place the order. I decided to browse around once more. On display was an import table (veneer cabinet and maple solid wood). The table was a two week old demo model. The dealer said it had been set up and him and the owner played 10 games or so. He said once a ball is bounced off a bumper it is no longer brand new. The price on the table was $1895 down from $2395 new. Thus after tax, a set of balls, 5 cues, and a cover (one short cue and a cover were thrown in for free) the total price was $2137 which included delivery and setup. The dealer said the import tables they sell are actually approved by Olhausen. The table is an 8', 7/8 three piece slate. The look of the table just blew the Olhausen laminate away. Of course a brand new Olhausen veneer or hardwood would have been nice but I really didn't want to spend more than $2000. Has anybody had good or bad luck with import tables?
Thanks.

PQQLK9
01-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Quote >He said once a ball is bounced off a bumper it is no longer brand new. <Quote

I did not know that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DavidMorris
01-18-2005, 03:24 PM
7/8" slate? Was this an Olhausen import or some no-name?

That price seems awefully high for an imported 7/8" slate table, especially if it's an unknown brand. You should be able to buy a solid hardwood (no veneers) lower-end Brunswick 8' with 1" framed slate for that or less. Yes I know that current Brunswicks are imported but they're still built pretty well in my experience, and come with Brunswick's Lifetime Warranty. When I bought my Brunswick a little over 2 years ago, there were 2 or 3 models below mine starting at around $1900 IIRC. Maybe prices have gone up, but that just seems high to me...

BLACKHEART
01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Did you get UNDER it & compare the frame? You should have. The frame & slate are THE most important things to look for in a table. People buy pool tables, the way they buy pool Qs,by looks...JER