PDA

View Full Version : California treat - Humming Birds in January

SnakebyteXX
01-18-2005, 06:22 PM
We have five feeders hanging up on our deck. I shot this picture a few minutes ago. Unofficial head count tells us that we have between 75 and 90 regular visitors (5 lbs.+ of sugar per week). If you stand outside near the feeders this time of day the wind from their wings will blow your hair back... they have very little fear of humans.

It's really kind of awesome.

http://img14.paintedover.com/uploads/14/hummers.jpg

Rod
01-18-2005, 08:59 PM
I really like Humming Birds. I nursed a pair of newly hatched ones till they could fly. BTW I used watered down maple syrup. It only took about two weeks. They always visited me near dusk and many times in the morning. They'd hover within two feet of my face. I never a feeder but thought about buying one several times.

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
01-19-2005, 06:01 AM
I also like hummingbirds but could never get them to come to our feeder. We get lots of goldfinches, cardinals, once in a great while we get a woodpecker, and we've even had a hawk a couple times. Scared the hell out of the small birds.

DG

SnakebyteXX
01-19-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We get lots of goldfinches, cardinals, once in a great while we get a woodpecker, and we've even had a hawk a couple times. <hr /></blockquote>

Here in Nor-Cal we don't have anything quite as brilliantly colored as your Cardinals (talk about beautiful!). But we do get Orioles and Bluebirds in the Spring and Redheaded Woodpeckers - Flickers - Pilliated Woodpeckers - titmouse - finches - Sparrow Hawks - Redtailed Hawks - Kite Hawks - Crows - Osprey's - and assorted Sparrows year round (yes, and some awful Starlings too). Not to mention the Canadian Honkers - Mallards - Pintails and Canvasbacks that fly in and out of our lake on a regular basis.

Currently we've got a batch of Redheaded Woodpeckers drilling out a new nest in one of our backyard trees in preparation for Spring time egg laying.

The hummingbird hoarde kind of crept up on us this past summer. As we added more feeders - more came. We think that one of them must have put a mark on our gatepost signalling that we were soft touches and inviting one and all to a daily sugarfest.

The weather here is mild compared to other parts of the country. We rarely see temps drop below freezing in the winter so birds don't experience as much hardship as they might in other parts of the country where snow and/or ice is the mode of the day this time of year.

In any case, my wife and I have come to enjoy sharing a cup of coffee in the morning while we watch the birds tend to their business at the feeders.

Perhaps it's a sign that we're getting older - when simple things like watching birds bring us so much pleasure. Whatever the reason - we do enjoy their company.

Snake

SPetty
01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I also like hummingbirds but could never get them to come to our feeder. We get lots of goldfinches, cardinals, once in a great while we get a woodpecker, and we've even had a hawk a couple times.<hr /></blockquote>Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but are you putting out a hummingbird feeder? I've never seen any other birds feeding at a hummingbird feeder, and I've never seen a hummingbird feeding at a regular bird feeder. So maybe that's the problem?

dg-in-centralpa
01-19-2005, 12:35 PM
I have had hummingbird feeders away from our normal feeders and all we could attract was ants. I don't know, maybe the hummingbirds didn't like the stuff in the feeder, altho' it's hummingbird food.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
01-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Before my parents moved into their current house, they had a larger yard with lots of squirrels, rabbits, and birds. They would sit for hours on a Saturday morning and watch them. Dad is "practicing" for retirement.

DG

Wally_in_Cincy
01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I have had hummingbird feeders away from our normal feeders and all we could attract was ants. I don't know, maybe the hummingbirds didn't like the stuff in the feeder, altho' it's hummingbird food.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

Unless you live in the country there does not seem to be many around here in the north. Maybe there are just not many around where you are. We have a feeder and I only see a couple a day and they don't stay long. We live in the city but it's only a couple hundred yards from a nature preserve.

They all left here around the end of September. I think the further south you go the more you see. I've seen a lot of them in the mountains of Kentucky.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-19-2005, 12:51 PM
So have you ever had one try to drink your wine? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
01-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Wally - you may be right. I live 3 miles south of town but there are plenty of trees, etc. for the birds. I have a sister-in-law in Ky. Before she moved(divorce), she had lots of hummingbirds. Now she lives in Louisville, and I haven't seen her new place yet.

DG - wifey was born in Louisville and stands at attention for the playing of "Old Kentucky Home" on Derby Day - tho we've never been to the derby, she has a party anyway

Chopstick
01-19-2005, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I have had hummingbird feeders away from our normal feeders and all we could attract was ants. I don't know, maybe the hummingbirds didn't like the stuff in the feeder, altho' it's hummingbird food.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

What color is it? My dad told me they like Red. He has a red hat he wears in the yard sometimes and they all swarm sround it.

dg-in-centralpa
01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Ours was red and we tried several kinds of food for them. Nothing worked.

DG - oh well....may have to try again

highsea
01-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Try mixing in some Robitussin with codeine. Maybe if you get the little buggers hooked they'll keep coming back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
01-20-2005, 03:01 PM
I can see the ehadlines now, "CCB'er gets 3 - 5 years for making hummingbirds addicts." lol

DG - the shame of it all