PDA

View Full Version : Import Liberty Pool Table from Olhausen Dealer?

mg175150
01-18-2005, 06:52 PM
See the post titled "Went to buy Olhausen Laminate...." for more information. I purchased a new import table from an Olhausen dealer today. The dealer said the brand was Liberty. From my evaluation of the table it appears to be well constructed. It is a veneer cabinet. The rest is solid maple. The total price was $2100. What can anybody tell me about "Liberty" tables? Thanks.

DavidMorris
01-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Never heard of them myself.

A little Googling turned up an $8000 9' Liberty table with 1.5" slate from FiveStarBilliards.com.

There is a UK company called Liberty Games (http://www.libertygames.co.uk/main.asp?loc=products.asp?dep=4) that makes a lot of rec room equipment including pool tables, but all but their highest end models are cheesy looking 5,6, & 7 foot models. The two high-end models look like Gold Crown knockoffs and retail for several thousand Pounds.

Are you sure "Liberty" is a brand and not a model name? I found some hits on "Liberty" as a model name of some tables made by Escaladate Sports or Harvard.

mg175150
01-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the information Dave. Hopefully I wont be sorry later. You're right, he might have meant Liberty as the model. The table looks to be very well constructed and looks very nice. Of course it's a $2000 table and not a $5000 table, so i'm not expecting the best table in the world or anything. I just can't see an Olhausen dealer selling Olhausen tables and then selling low quality imports as well. He also said that the imports were Olhausen approved imports. I've never heard that before but then again i've only recently become familiar with pool table brands.

Brad
01-19-2005, 07:23 AM
Liberty tables are China tables imported by a GROUP of retalers that call themselves "The Liberty Group".

The deal is a bunch of dealers thought that if they got together they would have more buying power with manufacturers. It worked! Of course, they don't care if they bankrupt the domestic mfgs. along the way.

But, they wield a big stick(no pun intended). They went over to China, bought a cheap table, and had their logo put on the tables.

Big red flag to anybody buying anything these days?
Beware of any product that feels they have to put a patriotic name on their product to sell it.

Liberty, US billiards, etc.

It just so happens most these powerful retailers happen to be Olhausen dealers. Of the 15 or so nationwide Liberty Group members, I would guess 10 are Olhausen dealers.

Oh, btw, they're not the only buying group exercising their power to bankrupt domestic manufacturers to become even wealthier.

There is also the Marathon Group, Spakco, and probably a couple of others.

Can you tell I'm a little bias?

mg175150
01-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the information Brad. Sounds like you may have some direct experience with this situation. Are you a dealer yourself? How did you find out about the Liberty Group? Is Olhausen associated with these tables at all? Thanks.

Brad
01-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Olhausen was initially intended to be the importer, and, as I said, the majority of the retailers are Olhausen dealers. This arrangement started in 2000, I believe. And, 2000 was a less than stellar year for table sales. So, the dealers did not want to take delivery of all the tables as scheduled. Also, they wanted the tables to ship on the same truck as their Olhausen tables to save freight costs. Essentially, you could have an Olhause truck parked at a non-Olhausen dealer, while the Olhausen dealer accross town(not a Liberty member) waited for tables. And, you had Liberty dealers selling these things as "Olhausen tables". So Olhausen got stung with extra contracted warehouse space, and their name being thown about incorrectly. Then Donny Olhausen said "forget this China crap, I'm going to go ALL american, and I'm going to make it work." Bravo Donny! To date, Olhausen tables are completely made in America, right there in sunny San Diego.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you a dealer yourself? <hr /></blockquote>
No, but I have intimate knowledge about what's going on. Also, I am not an Olhausen employee, nor have I ever been, but I love their tables, and think the people at Olhausen are some of the finest, hard-working people in this industry.

schmedspub
04-26-2007, 03:13 PM
For $2100 you could buy a Brunswick contender and sleep well at night knowing you bought from a great table company. Why take the risk?