PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution On The Feet?

Sid_Vicious
01-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Anyone have a theory about where the weight shift should be for your stance? Seems that if you get "off your toes" and back on your heels, you'll jump up much less...sid

Chopstick
01-19-2005, 09:02 AM
No weight shift ever. I don't even do it on the break.

Nostalgia
01-19-2005, 09:27 AM
I think by "weight shift," Sid means "weight distribution."

I used to stand about 50/50. However, that seems much too sidesaddle. I've been watching pros and some snooker players, and notice that they stand with their back leg straight with about 70% of the weight on it. Their stance is also shorter and more open (hips face the table more). I've adjusted my stance in this direction and have been VERY pleased with the results.

-Joe

bomber
01-19-2005, 12:39 PM
I always use 50/50 distribution. I try to use the Box technique as much as possible...i draw a mental box on the floor running parallell with the path of the cue ball. i put my front foot in the front left corner and my back foot in the back right corner (opposite if you are right handed.)

Jude_Rosenstock
01-19-2005, 12:57 PM
I usually put my feet in such a place so that I don't fall down. I have a lot of experience with standing so I know how to accomplish this. Then, I usually lean into the table. This is good since it makes you more stable. Ask anyone standing in the subway why they prefer leaning up against the wall and they'll confirm this little known fact.

C'mon! Are we serious? Keep looking at your feet and you're never going to make a ball!

Jude M. Rosenstock

cheesemouse
01-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Jude,

[ QUOTE ]
I have a lot of experience with standing so I know how to accomplish this.<hr /></blockquote>

You just made me spit my upper plate out man....a little less humor please... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan
01-19-2005, 02:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> I usually put my feet in such a place so that I don't fall down. Then, I usually lean into the table.
Jude M. Rosenstock <hr /></blockquote>

Interesting - I've always done the same thing. I'm tall and skinny, so maybe stability is a bigger issue for me, but as long as I can remember I've been using the rail as a "third leg" (minds out of the gutter, boys and girls!).

SpiderMan

Jude_Rosenstock
01-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Yes, I think leaning into the table is probably ideal. You want some of your weight on your bridge hand. Honestly though, this is all kinda silly. I can lean across the table, have one foot in the air and have my bridge arm fully extended AND I STILL EXPECT TO MAKE THE BALL! Your stance is really arbitrary. I mean, don't deliberately try and look ridiculous and use a little bit of common sense but comfort is the key. These are all personal preferences. Don't fall down. Don't get up. For that matter, don't move until you're done. You can use any stance you want that will produce this. We're not talking about sprinting or swim races. Nobody should have to tell you were your big toe should be (but if you're curious as to where mine is, send me your email and I'll take a picture with my digital camera).

Jude M. Rosenstock

SpiderMan
01-19-2005, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr>

Nobody should have to tell you were your big toe should be (but if you're curious as to where mine is, send me your email and I'll take a picture with my digital camera).
Jude M. Rosenstock <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Jude,

All Things Must Pass, as do I. If I Fell I'd be sorry, but don't Ask Me Why - I'd just say I Should Have Known Better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Cane
01-20-2005, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> I usually put my feet in such a place so that I don't fall down. I have a lot of experience with standing so I know how to accomplish this. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL, I love it. ...and I have to completely agree with it. Stance is a very personal thing. IMHO there is no RIGHT stance or RIGHT weight distribution... it's just whatever is comfortable and balanced for each individiual.

I think we've gone over this before recently on here, but I'm 6'4" tall, weigh 265 pounds, I wear shirts with a 37" sleeve, have a 38" inseam, so the same stance and weight distribution that works for me probably will NOT work for someone that's 5'9" 150lbs with 32 inch legs.

I have, however, mastered the art of crunching up a stance and shooting with my butt against the cold corner mitre of the next table over, with my legs all bent up under me... something you must learn if you're tall and play in rooms where the tables are too close together (which to me, is most rooms). If the tables aren't at least 8 feet apart, I'm going to end up leaning against more than ONE table in a set on some shots.

Later,
Bob

Jude_Rosenstock
01-20-2005, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> someone that's 5'9" 150lbs with 32 inch legs.
<hr /></blockquote>

How did you know my weight and inseam? (Seriously!)
:P

Jude!

woody_968
01-20-2005, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> IMHO there is no RIGHT stance or RIGHT weight distribution... it's just whatever is comfortable and balanced for each individiual.

<hr /></blockquote>

I agree with this, but changing where the feet are placed can effect how much clearance there is for the stroke. So while I dont think there is one magic stance for everyone I do think where the back foot is placed can have a big effect on ones play.

I always played with my back foot "over the line" but when I moved my back foot to have the cue over my toes it gave me more room for my stroke and allowed me to get the follow through I needed. Prior to this change in order to get the proper follow through I had to move my bridge hand closer than I wanted. I still try to use a fairly short bridge, but the change in my stance made all the difference in the world for my stroke.

Woody

nhp
01-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Jude I think you are ignoring the fact that having a bad stance can cause alot of problems in your stroke. If you are standing way off balance, when you start your practice strokes, that can cause you to shift your weight in another direction, and you can inadvertently throw your cue off the stroking line. That will cause you to miss the ball. The game is not about just making a ball. It's about making a ball every single time, and sending the cueball to a spot to do that repeatedly. It's about control and consistency. When you are off balance, wobbling back and forth, that is going to affect your control and consistency, you can bet on it.

Rod
01-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Favor your heels with about 60% of your weight on the back foot. The triangle is formed with your bridge hand. If your weight is to far forward it will tense up your left arm and shoulder. There is simply to much forward weight. The tell tale sign is tension or a cramp in your bridge arm shoulder. Tension created anywhere in your body playing pool obviously is not desired. I don't think that needs a lot of explanation.

Rod