PDA

View Full Version : software question

sack316
01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
hey all, hope everyone is doing well. I was just curious if anyone knows any good software to take sya a regular picture of any kind, and turn it into a 3d image. I was brainstorming on some stuff and something like this could be very useful.

highsea
01-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Well, a regular photograph already is a 3D image. What exactly are you trying to do, get a dataset? I suppose you could try to take a photograph and convert it to a line drawing, then import it into AutoCad and do a 3D rendering, but I am not sure what you would gain, except a solid model. It would be useless as a dataset because there was no numerical data to start with.

Chopstick
01-19-2005, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Well, a regular photograph already is a 3D image. <hr /></blockquote>

You lost me on this one. How? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I think he's talking about how they do that in tv commercials starting about 3 years ago.

highsea
01-19-2005, 03:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> You lost me on this one. How? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>I mean it's as much of a 3D image as a rendering would be. It's impossible to get a 3D image in a 2D medium.

That's why I was asking for clarification. Are we talking about a binocular view, like a viewmaster? Or a picture that needs funny glasses to "see" in 3D?

ras314
01-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Maybe a holograph?

nAz
01-19-2005, 07:44 PM
hi there Sack. As far as i know you need two pictures to simulate 3D there is a software " http://www.stereoscopy.com " that can help you make them using multiple images. you can also try Adobe Photoshop a couple of years ago i used a Plug-in for it that turned a pic of mine into "3d" came out ok, sorry i can not remember the name of the plug in.

nAz
01-19-2005, 07:44 PM
hi there Sack. As far as i know you need two pictures to simulate 3D there is a software " http://www.stereoscopy.com " that can help you make them using multiple images. you can also try Adobe Photoshop a couple of years ago i used a Plug-in for it that turned a pic of mine into "3d" came out ok, sorry i can not remember the name of the plug in.

highsea
01-19-2005, 08:35 PM
You can test the software out on nAz's last post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
01-19-2005, 10:58 PM
thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking I remembered something in Photoshop as well, I'll just have to dig deeper. I know whatever may work will be hard to render it out. To clarify what I was trying to do, I was thinking maybe taking a single picture (a 2D image IMO), and somehoe turn it into a fully 3D image sya like a character in a video game or something. I wanted to use it for animation of some sort. I really don't know why the idea popped in my head. Guess I figure it would be something hard to do that would frustrate me so I had to try it. Should be an interesting project to undertake.
Oh, and those commercials you talked about had a series of cameras ( I believe 8-16) in a circle around the object to create the effect. Pretty cool, but a tool I'll never have the luxury of.
Again, thanks for the help, and if anyone else finds anything or that photoshop plugin please let me know. Good night all!

nAz
01-20-2005, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> You can test the software out on nAz's last post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
_____________________________________________ <hr /></blockquote>

Hahaha i just cought that. i was wondering what you were talking about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
01-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Here is a tool (http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/), 3ds Max, that allows you to make 3d images. I cannot remember if it is Mac only or not. TechTV had a 15yo demonstrating the tool. He was able to spit out 3d images (meaning your could rotate around a body and see the front and back, overhead looking down, etc) quite quickly, but there is a skillset involved and tons of time put into learning the tool.

eg8r

sack316
01-20-2005, 01:22 PM
awesome eg8r, thanks!