PDA

View Full Version : Derby City Classic

poolq
01-20-2005, 08:04 AM
I am planning on attending the Derby City Classic this weekend to do some spectating and was wanting some info as far as what it's like, what tickets to buy and any other info anyone can provide. This will be my first trip to a major pool tournament.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-20-2005, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolq:</font><hr> I am planning on attending the Derby City Classic this weekend to do some spectating and was wanting some info as far as what it's like, <hr /></blockquote>

It's in a big hotel ballroom. 20 tables or so. I think the afternoon session starts at 1:00, the evening session at 7:00

There are tables set up in other areas for gambling. There's usually action going to the wee hours of the morning.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolq:</font><hr> what tickets to buy and any other info anyone can provide. <hr /></blockquote>

VIP tickets (for seating in the tv arena) are sold out. General admission is $10 per session I think. The gen. adm. seats are banquet chairs, you can still see ok but VIP is better.

If you can't get a room at the Executive West there is a Hampton next door and 2 or 3 other cheaper places within easy walking distance.

You might want to bring your own grub if you want a late-night meal. The food is expensive and limited.

The finals are Saturday evening.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolq:</font><hr> This will be my first trip to a major pool tournament. <hr /></blockquote>

You will get the hang of it pretty quick.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-20-2005, 10:06 AM
<font color="blue"> This is my report from last year's DCC. Hope this helps </font color>

Drove down to Louisville for the Derby City Classic, arriving Friday noonish. It wasn't too crowded and since I had VIP tickets, the fellow at the door offered to find me a seat. I found my self sitting about 6 feet from Jeanette Lee and Mika Immonen playing a 9-ball match. I thought "Hey this is starting out well" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . Mika won 7-4 IIRC. BTW I had no idea they were the same height. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Before the next round of matches a young, well-dressed feller came up to one of the tables and began cleaning the balls. Turns out it was John Schmidt preparing for his match against Max Eberle. He then warmed up by running a couple of racks of rotation. Quite enjoyable to watch. Max was looking dapper also in shined shoes, black slacks and a black Fury polo shirt. I cannot say the same for some of the other participants in the tourney.

Max beat John 7-6 in an extremely well-played match by both players. They were both very professional in victory and defeat. One thing that impressed me about Eberle was his demeanor. He seemed quite calm. I know he was enjoying just being there because earlier he was running around with a video camera filming the fans and players with a big grin on his face. Unfortunately Max lost his next match to Takakana due to coming up dry on the break a few times.

Later on Grady was searching for backers for a $2000 per man ring game. After watching Max play I wanted to put $1000 on him. Unfortunately I only had $100 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Later on I wandered across the arena to watch Earl Strickland play some young feller who will remain nameless. I had never seen Earl play in person. Being down 2-1 Mr. Strickland immediately went into his victimization mode, talking to the rail. "I'm not getting no rolls this tournament, maybe I'll get some next tournament"... "Did you see that? Did you see that? I can't believe that. I bet he couldn't do that again" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. It was quite amusing. He must have gotten some rolls because he won 7-4 IIRC.

After the match Earl was going on and on saying "He called me a lying faggot. Can you believe that? He's only half-right though. I'm not a faggot" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think he was talking about his opponent but I wasn't sure.

Meanwhile Mr. Charlie Williams continued his lengthy match at the next table. Get down on the shot, get up, get down, get up,get down, holy cow I thought I was at a Catholic wedding.

There's more but this is lengthy enough for now.
------------------------------------
I bought an official DCC poster and got autographs from several players. Most included their nicknames with their signature.

Dennis "The Bear" Coulter
Jeanette Lee "The Black Widow" (She was extremely gracious to the fans. After she was eliminated she went to her booth and signed autographs and posed for pictures for over an hour.)
Jim Wych (quite the witty fellow)
Nesli O'hare (still gorgeous)

Grady Matthews
(He overheard me say I was Wally from Cincy. He said "You post on the internet don't you"
I said "Yeah, more than I should and never anything worthwhile."
He said "I don't know about that. I've never seen you write anything detrimental to the sport"
I said "Thanks. I'm much better since I quit posting under the influence"
He was real nice. I'm now a Grady fan now.)

Danny Basavitch "Kid Delicious" (I jokingly told him "I'll let you sign this only if you sign it "Kid Delicious". He laughed. He's a jolly fellow.)
Keith McCready (He didn't recognize my name but RailbirdJAM did. He did, however let me buy him a beer. I bought him another later and took it over to the table where he and another guy were goofing around with different shots. He said "Hey you're just in time. I just ran dry". Keith was funny and RailbirdJAM was very sweet.
Shawn Putnam
Jimmy Wetch (Nice guy, shot like a champ. I'm glad he started playing again)
Troy Frank (he has the best handwriting of all)
Sarah Rousey
Mika Immonen "Iceman"
John Brumback (Super nice guy.)
Mike Lebron
Jose "Amang" Parica
Efren "Bata" Reyes
Shannon "The Cannon" Daulton
Max Eberle
Johnny Archer (Much better looking in person than he is his photos. I mentioned that in the chat room and warren said I was gay /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)
---------------------

After the matches were done on Friday night I saw about a dozen railbirds gathering like a flock of hungry starlings around a table in the arena. Word quickly spread that Alex. P. and John Schmidt were preparing to play a 14.1 match to 300 for a rumored 5 large. At the time I did not know that the same 2 had played earlier in the week with JS taking home the gelt. I wanted to put my $100 on Schmidt, knowing of his 14.1 prowess. One feller was waving some lettuce, saying "who wants Alex?". He may have gotten a few takers but there was no stampede in his direction.

As the match progressed you could tell JS was the more exoerienced 14.1 player. He led at one point 93-33. He continued to sink balls until he was on a run of 111. He then sank his break ball and somehow got snookered. Somewhere along the way Alex learned how to play (Actually I imagine he has played plenty of 14.1 but probably not nearly as much as John.). Alex began to chip away at John's lead, running 30's, 40's, and 50's.

What happened after that I can only report what I heard the next day because by that time it was about 3 am and my mind had become a bit...uh...fuzzy. I went back to my room before it ended. I heard the similar stories the next day from different people. Apparently John was down to just needing a few balls when he missed a makeable shot. Alex won 300-298.
---------------------------------------
I think I watched Efren play five 9-ball matches. He was slaying people. Takanaka had beaten Max Eberle and Danny Harriman in his last 2 matches when he met Efren. Efren cooled him down quick to the tune of 7-2.

I think Efren's next match was the tv match with Wetch. The one where he shot 1.000
Efren won the lag by about 1/4". He broke and ran 5 racks. Maybe there was a 9-ball billiard thrown in there somewhere.

Efren came up dry on the 6th break. Wetch had a makeable kick on the 1-ball but chose to play safe. Efren could see a sliver of the 1 and played a lock-up safe on Wetch, sending the cueball 3 rails to jail.

Wetch fouled. Efren ran out that one and the next one. Shot 1.000 according to accu-stats.

I felt bad for Wetch. He had a bye the previous round and had been practicing for 2 or 3 hours.
I missed most of Efren's first match against Soquet. I almost can't stand to watch Ralf play he's so deliberate. I finally got to see Efren miss a ball in their second match. When he missed a 5-ball I realized that was the first ball he had missed in over 30 games /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
---------------------------
I watched Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant beat Jeanette Lee Friday night. 7-4 I think. He made some wisecracks that were pretty funny.

When he was on his last 9-ball, a difficult but very makeable cut shot, he laid his cue on the table and took a bathroom break. Jeanette says "Oh come on let's get this over with".

He came back 5 minutes later and nailed the shot. I don't what he was trying to do but I thought it was sort of rude. He knew damn well he was could make the shot.
-------------
Met some CCBers.

Chris Alvey recognized me from his trip to Cincy last year.

Stan Shuffet is a great guy and so is Landon. Landon loves to play. He carried his case everywhere with him. Damn thing was darn near as big as him /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Met Brady. He looked like he was having a good time.

Sorry if I forgot anybody.
---------------------
Corey was checking out the babes. Well, so was I but at least has an actual chance with one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
---------------------
Cuemaker Jimmy Reeves had a booth there. Nice cues at a reasonable price. He had a cocobolo plain jane for 325 which looked a lot like TomCincy's Omen. Fortunately for me somebody bought it or I would have been 325 poorer right now.
-------------------
If you've never seen the accu-stats set-up you can't imagine how hot it is under those lights and with all those people gathered around. I don't see how those guys can play.

BazookaJoe
01-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I just got back from Louisville. Personally, I would not spend any extra money on VIP. The only time they would come in handy is during one of the featured ring game events. Even then, if you show up a little early you get a seat with no problem. Bringing food is a good idea. I paid $4 for a roast beef sandwich. Coffee @ $1 a cup. Cokes @ $1 a can. And for the love of Pete, DO NOT run out of cigarettes, if you smoke.
And plan a day at the end to catch up on sleep before you go back to work.
First night I was up till 6:30 am the next day. (yawn)

PQQLK9
01-20-2005, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BazookaJoe:</font><hr> I just got back from Louisville. Personally, I would not spend any extra money on VIP. The only time they would come in handy is during one of the featured ring game events. Even then, if you show up a little early you get a seat with no problem. Bringing food is a good idea. I paid $4 for a roast beef sandwich. Coffee @ $1 a cup. Cokes @ $1 a can. And for the love of Pete, DO NOT run out of cigarettes, if you smoke.
And plan a day at the end to catch up on sleep before you go back to work.
First night I was up till 6:30 am the next day. (yawn) <hr /></blockquote>

As far as VIP seats are concerned, everybody ain't cheap. Four bucks for a Roast beef sammich /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and a Buck for coffee ain't too shabby either.

As far as running out of cigarettes, I would hope that everybody who smokes would run out (hell, I might be more inclined to go if that was the case).

Bring food ??? You gotta be kidding. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-20-2005, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> As far as running out of cigarettes, I would hope that everybody who smokes would run out (hell, I might be more inclined to go if that was the case).
<hr /></blockquote>

You'll be happy to know there is no smoking in the tourney room. But people smoke out in the hallway which is almost as bad.

Personally I go outside. It's a habit now.

and in Kentucky Marlboros are only $22 per carton. Yippee /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mksmith713
01-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Wow Wally, it's sounds like you had an awesome time.
I should be so lucky.
Being a single Dad, I haven't the funds n or the available time to make a trek like that.
Maybe, one day, when the kids are grown, I'll be able to make such a trip.
Until then, I'll have to settle for watching these folks on TV.
I recall seeing Grady in the movie but I'd love to see him play in person.
Keep the play by play coming.
I have a very good imagination.

Retardo
01-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Who is the guy prancing around with the little dog like Paris Hilton?

Fred Agnir
01-21-2005, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Retardo:</font><hr> Who is the guy prancing around with the little dog like Paris Hilton? <hr /></blockquote> Barry Behrman.

Fred