PDA

View Full Version : Taking The PlungeTonight!

Barbara
01-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Last weekend at my bar league's tourny I got talked into playing on an APA 9-ball team by two girls that my teammate and I creamed in the finals. (I really have to learn how to stop feeling sorry when that happens)

So tonight will be my very first APA match. The girls who talked me into this are very excited and eager to introduce their new "Secret Weapon" as I am now known because from what I understand, I will come in as a "2" and will remain so for a couple of weeks until they can get some stats on me.

So I read the rules for APA 9-ball. What's with the "no push-out" after the break? What happens if I get hooked if I make a ball on the break? I have to try and kick at my object ball? That stinks!

Is there any othere "APA only" rule I should know about?

Barbara~~~help....

9 Ball Girl
01-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Be prepared for the "sandbagging" accusations. I played in the APA about 3 years ago (never again!), and although I told the LO that I'm no where near a 3, they brought me in as that and he wound up telling me about all the complaints he received.

Well, FWIW, kick a$$!

joninnorfolk
01-20-2005, 10:42 AM
It's not a rule, but I don't like the fact that if you make the nine on the break or combo you only get two (2) points for it. The possibility of ending the early is part of the allure that first got me interested in the game. They keep score by balls and not games which ruins nine ball to me. JMHO --- Jon

woody_968
01-20-2005, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
So I read the rules for APA 9-ball. What's with the "no push-out" after the break? <hr /></blockquote>

Thats one rule that I didnt like in APA /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But on the bright side it will make you work on keeping the cueball in the middle of the table LOL.

Another rule to take note of is that you cant change cues during a game. You are allowed to use a break cue and switch to your shooting cue. But if you use your break cue for the first shot after the break you have to use it for the rest of the game. I shot a jump shot with my break cue after the break one time and then was told I had to play the rest of the game with it. Not that it bothered me, just thought you might like to know.

And yes, if you are hooked after the break you will be kicking or jumping /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

landshark77
01-20-2005, 10:50 AM
You won't be a two for long...next week you will go up for sure...unless you are sandbagging. Plus I'm not sure about 9 ball, but in 8 ball all girls start as a 3 and it is adjusted from there. If you lose your first match you will remain lower ranked for sure, but that is when people who know you are gonna get on your butt about sandbagging. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara
01-20-2005, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr>
Another rule to take note of is that you cant change cues during a game. You are allowed to use a break cue and switch to your shooting cue. But if you use your break cue for the first shot after the break you have to use it for the rest of the game. <hr /></blockquote>

Wow Woody, I missed that one. I only take two cues with me anyway. If God had intended for me to jump balls, he would've given them wings.

Thanks!

Barbara

Barbara
01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Be prepared for the "sandbagging" accusations. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep Wendy, I was already warned about that!!

Barbara

Jude_Rosenstock
01-20-2005, 10:53 AM
It's been a year or so since I've seen a rule book but from my understanding, you're not allowed to use a jump cue in the APA (unless you're using it as a short cue because of an obstruction).

As for push-outs, if we're talking about 8-ball, there are no push-outs in the APA or BCA. Pushing-out is a rule only found in rotation games.

Jude M. Rosenstock

landshark77
01-20-2005, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr>
Another rule to take note of is that you cant change cues during a game. You are allowed to use a break cue and switch to your shooting cue. But if you use your break cue for the first shot after the break you have to use it for the rest of the game. I shot a jump shot with my break cue after the break one time and then was told I had to play the rest of the game with it. Not that it bothered me, just thought you might like to know.

<hr /></blockquote>

Is this a 9 ball rule Woody? In 8 ball I use my break cue for breaking and by playing cue for shooting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
01-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey Shark!

The sandbagging issue was the reason why I haven't joined before. But the girls on this team told me that they don't condone it and play all out. And I trust them about it because I've known them for over a decade.

Barbara

Jude_Rosenstock
01-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Oops, I just reread your post. Sorry, I see we're talking about 9-ball.

Jude!

Barbara
01-20-2005, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote joninnorfolk:</font><hr> It's not a rule, but I don't like the fact that if you make the nine on the break or combo you only get two (2) points for it. The possibility of ending the early is part of the allure that first got me interested in the game. They keep score by balls and not games which ruins nine ball to me. JMHO --- Jon <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, that kinda stinks, too.

Barbara

woody_968
01-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Your not allowed to use jump cues. You could break with a jump cue I guess, but then if you shot with it you would have to play the whole game with it.

I havent played APA 8 ball in years so I dont know about their rules.

Landshark, you can use a break cue and a shooting cue, but what ever cue you use for the first shot after the break would be the cue you have to use for the rest of the game. I assume they do this so people dont break with short cues so they can have a jump cue. Again, I dont know if this applies to 8ball.

Jude, she is talking about 9ball, and the no pushout rule really stinks when you are playing by points. When a high number plays a low number and has to beat them like 72 to 15 or something like that its a killer when you break, get hooked, miss the hit and give them ball in hand /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Barbara,

In 9 ball, you don't have to patch the pocket for the 8.

Good luck, I know you'll kick A$$ I've seen you play....

PQQLK9
01-20-2005, 11:13 AM
You can win your match before the game you are playing in is completed.

(since you only need a certain number of points to win)

Barbara
01-20-2005, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Barbara,

In 9 ball, you don't have to patch the pocket for the 8.

Good luck, I know you'll kick A$$ I've seen you play.... <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tom! I just hope I don't get a set of the "nerves" tonight.

Can you believe that I have no problem playing against WPBA Touring pros but I still get nervous on my league nights? I know why that happens - I'm putting pressure on myself, I just don't know how to turn it off.

Barbara

Barbara
01-20-2005, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> You can win your match before the game you are playing in is completed.

(since you only need a certain number of points to win) <hr /></blockquote>

Oh goody!! Less chance for me to choke on the 9!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara

Tom_In_Cincy
01-20-2005, 11:23 AM
One of the tricks I have learned to at least tone down the nerves is to take a moment prior to your match and look at every player in the room. Imagine they are all NAKED. I mean really imagine this. Some players will make you laugh out loud, others may make you smile.. but it does take the edge off the nerves (at least it did for me) for just enough time to get into the game and play your best.

Hope this helps... visuals are great aids. LOL

Barbara
01-20-2005, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> One of the tricks I have learned to at least tone down the nerves is to take a moment prior to your match and look at every player in the room. Imagine they are all NAKED. I mean really imagine this. Some players will make you laugh out loud, others may make you smile.. but it does take the edge off the nerves (at least it did for me) for just enough time to get into the game and play your best.

Hope this helps... visuals are great aids. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

You pervert!! LOL!!

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
01-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Play to win..."F" the number. Sandbagging is a nit move in my opinion. Have fun and try not to let those few spoil whats suppose to be a good time.

Voodoo~~~back to is old self

woody_968
01-20-2005, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> One of the tricks I have learned to at least tone down the nerves is to take a moment prior to your match and look at every player in the room. Imagine they are all NAKED. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom, I hope you make sure that its your cue you are stroking /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Troy
01-20-2005, 11:47 AM
You count 1 point for all balls made and 2 points for the 9-ball. So you can "choke" on the 9 and still win... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
Oh goody!! Less chance for me to choke on the 9!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Stretch
01-20-2005, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Last weekend at my bar league's tourny I got talked into playing on an APA 9-ball team by two girls that my teammate and I creamed in the finals. (I really have to learn how to stop feeling sorry when that happens)

So tonight will be my very first APA match. The girls who talked me into this are very excited and eager to introduce their new "Secret Weapon" as I am now known because from what I understand, I will come in as a "2" and will remain so for a couple of weeks until they can get some stats on me.

So I read the rules for APA 9-ball. What's with the "no push-out" after the break? What happens if I get hooked if I make a ball on the break? I have to try and kick at my object ball? That stinks!

Is there any othere "APA only" rule I should know about?

Barbara~~~help.... <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, good luck tonight! Ya wierd...that's how they played 9 ball down in Florida at Frank's Place. No push-out, no three foul rule, call the 9...and you better not forget lol.

It can work for you too /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. With the no push out rule i just made double sure my cue ball didn't get away on me even if it meant takeing a little off. Let the other guy let er rip....it's too easy to get burned.

As for the handy cap thing. God who knows, there's only one real stat that matters to me and that's win's and losses, let the handycapers figure it out. I had to laugh, i played this guy before the tournament in Fl. He was an all right player and he was going to rate me. So am playing away but trying different things, you know a "friendly game". He ends up rateing me as a 5, same as him.(rateings are from 2 to 9) 9 being, your barred lol. So that's fine, first match i end up playing Ed's brother and i'm getting all the rolles and cruzin along the next thing i know the TD comes flying over and bumps me up two places to a 7. Well i played there twice and was in the money twice so now i'll be bumped to an 8....[censored] next Holiday i might get barred! St.~~thinks handycaps are a....handycap~~

Rich R.
01-20-2005, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I will come in as a "2" and will remain so for a couple of weeks until they can get some stats on me.
<hr /></blockquote>
This is not quite right. Depending on your performance, I believe your skill level may swing dramatically, for a while, until you get 10 matches on the books. I don't think you will be a skill level 2, next week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think the most important thing to keep in mind, in APA 9-ball, is that you are trying to make points, not make 9-balls.
Making the 9-ball earns you 2 points, that is all. You can make the 9-ball in every rack and you will lose badly, if your opponent makes the other balls on the table.
If you have the choice between taking an early 9-ball or an easy run out, take the run out. If the run out will be very difficult and you get a chance at an early 9-ball, take the 9-ball.

It is just a different mind set, than you are used to.

Run as many balls as you can. When you see that you are not going to be able to keep a run going, play a safety.

Somehow, I don't think you will have a problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
01-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I hear ya Stretch! I hate handicapping, too! I don't care who it is, I'd rather play straight up than give or get weight.

Barbara

Barbara
01-20-2005, 12:16 PM
That's good strategy there Rich!! Thanks!!

Barbara

GeraldG
01-20-2005, 02:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
So I read the rules for APA 9-ball. What's with the "no push-out" after the break? <hr /></blockquote>

Thats one rule that I didnt like in APA /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But on the bright side it will make you work on keeping the cueball in the middle of the table LOL.

And yes, if you are hooked after the break you will be kicking or jumping /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

This rule has changed in the last couple of years. You CAN use a break stick and a playing cue and you can switch from one cue to the other during the match. You can use a "normal" sized jump/break cue (57" or longer, I think), but you CANNOT use one of the little jump cues (like "The Frog", etc.). If you use two cues, both of them must be a assembled when the match starts. If you use one of the jump/break cues, you cannot break it down to use for a jump cue, nor can you use just the shaft of your cue to jump with. The only time you are allowed to break a cue down during a match is if you damage your cue during the match and need to change shafts.

Whether or not the actual jump shot is allowed depends upon the establishment you're playing in. If they have signs posted that say "No Jump Shots, No Masse' Shots", or anything to that effect, then the shot is not legal. If the house allows it, it is legal.

I verified these rules with the Atlanta LO a couple of months ago, because we had a dispute over this very thing one night.

WaltVA
01-20-2005, 03:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> [This rule has changed in the last couple of years. You CAN use a break stick and a playing cue and you can switch from one cue to the other during the match. You can use a "normal" sized jump/break cue (57" or longer, I think), but you CANNOT use one of the little jump cues (like "The Frog", etc.). If you use two cues, both of them must be a assembled when the match starts. If you use one of the jump/break cues, you cannot break it down to use for a jump cue, nor can you use just the shaft of your cue to jump with. The only time you are allowed to break a cue down during a match is if you damage your cue during the match and need to change shafts.

Whether or not the actual jump shot is allowed depends upon the establishment you're playing in. If they have signs posted that say "No Jump Shots, No Masse' Shots", or anything to that effect, then the shot is not legal. If the house allows it, it is legal.

I verified these rules with the Atlanta LO a couple of months ago, because we had a dispute over this very thing one night. <hr /></blockquote>
Under APA rules (General Rules 33. Equipment - Pg. 41) "A player may use one cue for breaking and a different cue stick for shooting. During the course of a game a player may not change cue sticks or shafts unless their cue becomes damaged. A player may change shafts or cue sticks between games, but once he has made a shot in a game he must continue playing with that cue stick until the game is over."

Different LO's may authorize different by-laws, but in our area, you can break with a break cue and then switch to your playing cue, but you cannot switch back and forth except between games. If you make a second shot after the break with your break cue, you have to continue with it for the rest of that game.

Walt in VA

GeraldG
01-20-2005, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> [This rule has changed in the last couple of years. You CAN use a break stick and a playing cue and you can switch from one cue to the other during the match. You can use a "normal" sized jump/break cue (57" or longer, I think), but you CANNOT use one of the little jump cues (like "The Frog", etc.). If you use two cues, both of them must be a assembled when the match starts. If you use one of the jump/break cues, you cannot break it down to use for a jump cue, nor can you use just the shaft of your cue to jump with. The only time you are allowed to break a cue down during a match is if you damage your cue during the match and need to change shafts.

I verified these rules with the Atlanta LO a couple of months ago, because we had a dispute over this very thing one night. <hr /></blockquote>
Under APA rules (General Rules 33. Equipment - Pg. 41) "A player may use one cue for breaking and a different cue stick for shooting. During the course of a game a player may not change cue sticks or shafts unless their cue becomes damaged. A player may change shafts or cue sticks between games, but once he has made a shot in a game he must continue playing with that cue stick until the game is over."

Different LO's may authorize different by-laws, but in our area, you can break with a break cue and then switch to your playing cue, but you cannot switch back and forth except between games. If you make a second shot after the break with your break cue, you have to continue with it for the rest of that game.

Walt in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Walt, I think you must be looking at an old rule book. I have the 2005/2006 book. That section is now on page 40 and reads (in it's entirety):

"In general, any peice of equipment designed specifically for pocket billiards, with the exception of jump cues and laser devices, is acceptable in APA league play. Special equipment such as bridges and cue extenders, are legal. Jump shots are legal, when executed properly (see Jump Shots described in Definitions), but such shots must be attempted using your regular game cue. Those cues especially designed for jumps shots may not be used in competition. Players are not allowed to break their cues down to attempt jump shots."

ALL of the language about switching cues during the game has been removed. That is why I had to call for clarification. I knew it was there before. Since a jump/break is not designed especially for jump shots (unless you break it down), they are legal, whereas the specialty jump cues (like The Frog) are not. If you have 2 cues assembled when the game starts, both of them are regular playing cues. It does not say anymore that you can't switch between them.

Eric.
01-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Let us know what you think. I've heard good and not-so-good about the APA 9 ball format.

No pushout after the break makes the break huge.

Eric

WaltVA
01-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Gerald, you're right - I was looking at a 2003/2004 rule book that had gotten filed in place of my newest one. Thanks for the catch.

Walt in VA

Rod
01-20-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the tricks I have learned to at least tone down the nerves is to take a moment prior to your match and look at every player in the room. Imagine they are all NAKED.<hr /></blockquote>

Please Tom, spare me the visual. LOL Not only that when I do find that certain lady, I get my face slapped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Barbara, ya sandbagger!!!! I will say this though, you know what you can do, you've done it hundreds of times before, so just do it.

Rod

Barbara
01-20-2005, 09:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Let us know what you think. I've heard good and not-so-good about the APA 9 ball format.

No pushout after the break makes the break huge.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, no kidding! I only pocketed the 9-ball once to win the break, but I did win the opening lag. My opponent did put in a couple once and twice on his break. No push out after the break really sucks.

I did win my match. And yeah, the opposing captain did mention that I'm "definitely" not a "2", but I didn't play well at all. I couldn't run three fricking balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif We were home and my team substituted the regular cue ball with a red circle cue ball, but it was mismatched with the other crap balls from the table and I got a helluva lot more action from it than I really wanted and overran position just about every time.

When I left, the last player that sold me into this whole deal was still playing, and even though it was 10:45, I had to leave. Got to get our new little missy kitty to the Vet tomorrow for important surgery.

Geez, can I get an "extra cue ball pocket" sewn onto my Instroke case? LOL!!

But after all is said and done, I enjoyed hanging out with the new teammates, I just hated waiting and not shooting.

I'll give it a couple weeks because I'm definitely not used to the format. I like to stay with my team to see the end results, but if I'm staying out until 11 pm on another night, this isn't going to work for me. I'm basically a homebody. I do not like to drive at night, especially with my car and a couple of beers in me.

Barbara~~~the jury is still out and cuts are next week... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
01-21-2005, 04:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Geez, can I get an "extra cue ball pocket" sewn onto my Instroke case? LOL!! <hr /></blockquote>
Jack can put an extra zippered compartment, on the outside of the case, for a cue ball.
Here is a picture from his site.
http://members.aol.com/JJustis4/images/model_03.jpg

Rich R.
01-21-2005, 04:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Let us know what you think. I've heard good and not-so-good about the APA 9 ball format.

No pushout after the break makes the break huge. <hr /></blockquote>
Eric, I only played one session of APA 9-ball, but I did like it, once I got used to it. It is definitely different.

As I told Barbara, the object is to make balls, for points. You have to forget about just making the 9-ball.

The system does a lot to equalize the game, between the experienced and inexperienced players.

In fact, my wife, who is a non-player, really enjoyed playing the APA version of 9-ball and she was sad when the room, where we were playing, stopped supporting the leagues.

BTW, if you know someone who consistently runs the 1 ball through the 8 ball, and chokes on the 9, APA 9-ball is for them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
01-21-2005, 05:14 AM
Barbara,

The handicap system is there to give an even playing field for everyone.

New "non-rated" players in 9-ball will start at a 2 for women and a 4 for men unless the Captain knows that they should be rated higher. Then he/she has the responsibility of informing the LO and their handicap will be revised upward.

When I started my new team last session I kept my male at a 4 when I knew he was terrible and now he is a 1. But I started another male at a SL6. He now is an 8.

So Barbara, if you are "playing touring pros" and are starting out in the APA as a 2 then yes, you are sandbagging and are really taking advantage of the system.
Your captain should know better, so that says a lot about his/her integrity.

Seems funny that the only people who are really against a handicap system are the ones who have to give weight.

Jake

PS (Being rated a SL2 in the APA is not something to be proud of) LOL Baisically it means that you suck at pool and should think of taking up another sport. er game.

Barbara
01-21-2005, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> So Barbara, if you are "playing touring pros" and are starting out in the APA as a 2 then yes, you are sandbagging and are really taking advantage of the system.
Your captain should know better, so that says a lot about his/her integrity.

<font color="blue">Jake, playing against and winning against a Touring Pro are two entirely different things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Trust me, if I stick with this league I am not going to be sandbagging. And I trust my captain's integrity. I played awful last night with the red circle cue ball and the banged-up bar box balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font color>

PS (Being rated a SL2 in the APA is not something to be proud of) LOL Baisically it means that you suck at pool and should think of taking up another sport. er game. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> I'm not going to remain an SL2 for long. In fact, I'd like to be the highest rated female in that division, even if it means I have to make 75 points before my opponent makes their quota. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif</font color>

Barbara

Barbara
01-21-2005, 07:12 AM
LOL Rich!! I was actually thinking about that last night, but I would never bring a Jack Justis case into some of the bars around this area. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

SpiderMan
01-21-2005, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Last weekend at my bar league's tourny I got talked into playing on an APA 9-ball team by two girls that my teammate and I creamed in the finals. (I really have to learn how to stop feeling sorry when that happens)

Barbara~~~help.... <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara,

Your skill level far exceeds that of an APA "2". An APA "2" can sink about 2 balls before a miss in 8-ball. In 9-ball, a "2" may often make nothing other than single easier shots left by an opponent's miss. He is hard pressed to make one ball and get his own shape on another when playing a rotation game such as 9-ball.

Your story implies that your team captain intends to take advantage of the fact that the league operator is unaware of your experience level. This is sandbagging, more commonly known as "cheating".

It's tempting to "manage" handicaps, because that's the easiest way to get an unfair advantage in APA. But you'll sleep much better if you just look around at the skill levels of other players, figure out where you should fit in, and have your handicap adjusted. You said that you "creamed" your team captain - what is her APA skill level? You should probably be a couple rungs higher.

"Going up" is intended to be what happens to low-skilled players as they improve, not what happens to higher-skilled players as their stats catch up with them. You'll eventually float up to your level anyway, but it can take a while if you let it.

When I joined APA (8-ball), our league operator manually entered whatever it took to bump me to a "7" before my second match (apparently his software wouldn't let him do this the first week with no play). Neither I nor my team had a problem with that, as we felt that was the rating I should wind up with anyway.

SpiderMan

GeraldG
01-21-2005, 09:44 AM
This is one of the problems with the APA system. It could take weeks for a player like this to be adjusted to the SL they should be playing to....maybe even half a session. You can have a player that should be a 5 or 6 come in as a 2. Next week they'll probably be a 3. Three or four weeks later maybe they'll get bumped to a 4. The longer they play, the longer it takes to get bumped up. So, for weeks, they could be playing other 2's or 3's that wouldn't stand a chance. Or, they could be playing a 5 or 6 with an unfair advantage because they are getting weight from an equal player.

Where's the fun in winning like that? I'm not sure I could even sleep at night. It's willfully and purposely cheating, IMHO.

Fred Agnir
01-21-2005, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> , I will come in as a "2" and will remain so for a couple of weeks until they can get some stats on me.<hr /></blockquote> If you have an established handicap in some other league, you shouldn't come in as a 2. Nevertheless, your handicap will undergo wild swings in your first several matches until you have 10-20 matches under your belt.

[ QUOTE ]
So I read the rules for APA 9-ball. What's with the "no push-out" after the break? What happens if I get hooked if I make a ball on the break? I have to try and kick at my object ball? That stinks!<hr /></blockquote> No push outs, no three foul rule, double-hit to your heart's content, you are playing points rather than games so each ball is worth a point except the 9 which is worth two, you DO NOT HAVE TO CALL THE 9-ball, no jump cues,

Fred &lt;~~~ has officially quit the APA 9-ball after two seasons