PDA

View Full Version : How to Maintain a Phenolic J/B Tip ?

mksmith713
01-20-2005, 08:03 PM
I have a J&J Palmwood J/B cue with a phenolic tip.
It came from the factory with the tip nearly flat faced.
Should it be?
That would make sense since the cue is made for banging the hell out of a cue ball.
How can I get this tip to hold chalk?

Rod
01-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Give it a radius about the curvature of a quarter or less. That will make it easy to chalk and a flatter radius is desired. Those are very hard tips so it will take a while with 1/2 round tip file or go to the local pro shop. Those tips don't hold chalk well, so chalk every time. You can scuff them up with some sandpaper once in a while. It really needs little chalk if you hit the c/b square. If you miscue it isn't because of chalk, it's because you hit well outside of center.

Rod

mworkman
01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
I got one and put it on my break stick. I rounded it a little bit using the fire starter method with an ultimate tip tool. I've been mostly using the 2nd ball break for 8-ball, so I need to hit it with some draw. That's why I rounded it some. It doesn't hold chalk all that well even after I scuff it. It doesn't seem to matter tho' as I rarely misscue with it. If you are hitting the cueball in the center, you shouldn't need to round it any. After you get it the way you want it, it shouldn't require any maintenance after that.

mksmith713
01-21-2005, 06:05 AM
I'd hate to do anything to the tip that would mess it up.
Having a flat surface makes sense if you're going to hit middle ball on all of your breaks.
Unfortunately,I use low on my break shots.
I'll learn to adapt.

What about jump shots?
I'm jusy learning jump shots.
Until now, most of my practicing has been done on a cheesy Sears pool table with one of those particle board bed and what looks like green cotton surface.
I find it extremely hard to get the cue ball airborne on this table.
Maybe it's the table?
Maybe it's me?

Input is welcome

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2005, 06:38 AM
Forget about learning on the partical board, you'll only dimple the surface and get frustrated to no end. You need slate and the thicker the better, trust me. Look at Bungees website and practice the dart stroke, it is much easier and IMO more accurate. As far as the maintainence of the tip...let it be as it came. If you really feel the need to touch it with sandpaper for texture, be ever so slight in it's use, because in theory you really don't want any cling anyway unless you are using spin for control. Otherwise all you are doing is bouncing off it for air. I chalk, but it is more of a habit from my long cue than a necessity, UNLESS I am wanting draw or swerve after clearing air...sid

stickman
01-21-2005, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mksmith713:</font><hr> I'd hate to do anything to the tip that would mess it up. <font color="blue"> If you're afraid of messing it up, do as Rod suggested and have a local pro shop shape it for you. Also as he suggested, the radius of a quarter or less is normal. </font color>
Having a flat surface makes sense if you're going to hit middle ball on all of your breaks.
Unfortunately,I use low on my break shots. <font color="blue"> Try stopping the cueball on your break, and leaving the cueball in the middle of the table. You may find you'll scratch less. </font color>
I'll learn to adapt.

What about jump shots?
I'm jusy learning jump shots.
Until now, most of my practicing has been done on a cheesy Sears pool table with one of those particle board bed and what looks like green cotton surface.
I find it extremely hard to get the cue ball airborne on this table.
Maybe it's the table?
Maybe it's me? <font color="blue">It could be both, but a particle board bed will be difficult to jump on. The problem is that most pool halls frown on patrons learning to / perfecting their jumps on their tables. Find someone that is good at it, and ask them if they'd help you learn to jump. If you ask the hall owner, sometimes they will let you practice on a table that is about to have the cloth replaced. Just some ideas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif</font color>

Input is welcome <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
01-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Agree. We put a couple of these on cues for Sid V during his experimentation days. I made a quarter-radius PVC shaper just for his J/B tips, and lined it with 80-grit to scratch things up enough to hold chalk. I think it worked pretty well.

SpiderMan