PDA

View Full Version : Memorial weekend tourney at Shooters, Riverside CA

Cueless Joey
05-27-2002, 02:42 AM
A very good tourney is goin' on at Shooters in Riverside, CA right now. Among the players playing are Kim Davenport, Jose Parica, Santos Sambajon, Ernesto Dominguez, Morro Paez, King Kong Chavez, Rafael Martinez, Marcus Chamat and Sam Manaeole.
A ton of liability action on the 10 ft table. Davenport beat out Morro earlier today for ton of money. Not much 9 ball action on the side. Shooters built the tournament room last year. Very nice Gold Crowns, premium lighting and cushioned seats/stands were added. Shooters also held the first annual Efren Reyes One Pocket Tournament last weekend won by R. Martinez.
More games are to be played starting 11 am Monday morning.
Davenport and Martinez are playing great right now. Sambajon beat Parica on a hill-hill match tonite. Winners' side race to 9 and losers' side race to 7 format.
I'll post the final results if I make it there for the finals. Traffic has been terrible this weekend.

05-28-2002, 11:32 AM
What were the results? I had a friend, Ignacio Chavez (from Houston), not to be confused with King Kong Chavez (from LA), who lost a hill-hill match with El Morro. Santos looked to be the favorite. Can you let me know what some of the final rounds went like? Thanks.

Thunderbolt

Cueless Joey
05-28-2002, 11:46 AM
Santos Sambajon beat the hotseater Kim Davenport 11-7. Davenport beat Santos earlier for the hotseat 9-7.
Santos beat Morro Paez for the hotseat final. Ignacio surprised everyone. He finished 4th after losing to Morro 7-5. Everyone thought Ignacio was from Norht Carolina. He was the mystery man of the tourney. Danny Petraba and Scott Frost took 6th-5th.

05-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Where he is from is a complicated question. He has been based in Houston for a number of years. He has relatives in South Carolina. He is from Michoacan, Mexico. The spectators may not have known him, but the pool players did. El Morro knows him personally, as does Ernesto Dominguez. Dominguez and Chavez both played in a qualifier for the World Championship in Wales during the last week of April, with Dominguez finishing 7th and Chavez 8th (http://www.sinuca.com.br/pool02a.htm.)

Thunderbolt

05-28-2002, 01:37 PM
http://www.sinuca.com.br/pool02a.htm
It won't work with the period at the end. This qualifier was played in Aruba.

Thunderbolt

05-29-2002, 02:41 AM
Though driving 75 miles thru California desert this tournament was well worth it. This room is a must see if youre ever in So Cal. Lots of action and great players. Scott Frost was giving up the 6 trying to make his money back after getting spanked by Santos S. in a one pocket match giving up a ball. Marcus C who always has a lot of heart was giving up the 6 and the breaks to local shortstops. Always a lot of Filipinos. Players and Backers. On the final day Kim Davenport who looked like the favorite to win it all just withered away while Sambajon got stronger and stronger. I wondered if it was due to Kim being in the hot seat and having a big break while Santos had to struggle in continuous matches to be in the final. All in all the participants ( Davenport, Parica, DOminguez, Morro, Rafael Martinez, Frost, Chamat, etc.} all acted like real pros in their victory and defeat.

05-29-2002, 08:16 AM
How much did this tournament pay?