PDA

View Full Version : Dime or Quarter - Phenolic jump tip?

Billy_Bob
01-21-2005, 10:25 AM
I emailed Bunjee and asked what tip shape my phenolic jump tip should be.

They said dime shape is best.

Now I read on another thread that quarter is best for a phenolic jump tip...

So which is best - Dime or Quarter shape for phenolic jump?

SPetty
01-21-2005, 11:06 AM
I think the other thread was about a phenolic tip on a break cue...

Billy_Bob
01-21-2005, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I think the other thread was about a phenolic tip on a break cue... <hr /></blockquote>

Ooops! My bad.... Yes for a break/jump cue you would want a quarter shape (for the breaking part).

But anyway is a dime shape best for a phenolic jump cue?

I would "guess" that dime with phenolic would be better so the tip can get out of the way after the initial hit. Also phenolic will not change shape or mushroom. And if not phenolic, then nickel or quarter would be better as like a breaking cue, the leather tip will compress and you will have a hard time keeping a dime shape????

Look at the "jump" high speed videos and see what you think...
(7.23 to 7.25)
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/index.html

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2005, 11:55 AM
All of my jumpers came with quarter roudness right out of the box, and I figure Bungee and Lucasi probably knows more about the proper ergonomics that most of the rest of the billiard world, including me, so I promote the quarter. As far as the roundness of the breaker, I'd probably have more of a tendency to make that a dime between the two cues mentioned. The breaks sometimes encounters some kind of cut, and a really flat tip might be a detriment in those cases. Besides if I was forced to continue with my break stick after using it for something other than breaking, I'd want the dime. BTW I actually use a nickel instead of a dime on everything else besides the break and jump cue...sid

stickman
01-21-2005, 12:08 PM
A dime shape works well for me on a playing cue. Some prefer a nickel radius. On a jump/break I prefer the radius of a quarter or less. I don't use a lot of spin on my jump/break, therefore, I don't see the need for that much radius. I feel like I get better contact with the bigger radius. Like you say, the phenolic tip doesn't compress like a leather tip. JMO

Rod
01-21-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would "guess" that dime with phenolic would be better so the tip can get out of the way after the initial hit. <hr /></blockquote>

It's not the tip radius that lets the cue get out of the way. If there is any difference it would be so small it wouldn't be measurable. The big factor is your stroke. If you drive the cue into the c/b it traps it a bit longer and won't allow the c/b to jump as quick. The ideal stroke is a very light grip throw per-say. Hold on light to jump better. Funny the same stroke is used for regular pool shots too!

I don't see any advantage for a dime radius on a phenolic tip. Some people play with regular cues of that radius, thinking more english or whatever. The use of heavy english with a break or jump cue and a phenolic tip isn't a smart move. The radius of a quarter or nickel at most is all you need and it's more forgiving.

Rod