PDA

View Full Version : As long as we're on the subject...

Karatemom
01-21-2005, 07:44 PM
I've been avidly reading the posts here lately about the quiet eye, 30 degree angle, half ball hits, and so on. It's very coincidental that all this comes up now after having been to Pool School. Pool school is like "goldmining" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif@randy, you find little pieces of information that work for you. I had a lot of things that were working for me in my game already, but I was amazed at the things that I learned in school that helped my game even more, things such as eye pattern, aiming methods, even the psychological part of the game.

What I loved about it, they didn't tell you that this was the way to do it. It was more like, if this works for you, great, if not, try this. For instance, aiming is probably the worst part of my game, always has been. There are 7 aiming methods, they go by different names, but basically they are all the same and the end result is always the same - to pocket the ball. Randy did not say this is the best, or this aiming method works for me so I want you to use it. All three days, it was "whatever works for you".

I had a wonderful weekend and have a short term goal in mind already. I hadn't even picked up a cue in over a month, like I had lost all desire to play. I was just as happy sitting at the counter having a beer watching Chris or Spike. But now, after having been rejuvenated by all the information, I'm so ready to hop on a table and shoot.

Heide ~ thanks to Randy and Scott for a wonderful weekend, and to my classmates, too.

randyg
01-21-2005, 07:57 PM
When the student speaks-the Master learns.

God bless you and your great family...SPF-randyg

Rod
01-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Hi Heide,

Isn't it amazing what you learn. People that have been around the game for a long while have a lot to share. On the net is one thing but in person is far different.

[ QUOTE ]
What I loved about it, they didn't tell you that this was the way to do it. It was more like, if this works for you, great, if not, try this. <hr /></blockquote>

This is an area where knowledge and not, my way or the highway really pays off. Personally working with someone and giving them options makes learning easier. Glad you had a good time. Hey, quit that day job and hit the road. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod

stickman
01-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Heide, glad to hear that you had a great learning experience. I'm glad for you. When I'm able to, I'd like to have more professional instruction. I had one session and know the rejuvenation you expressed. Maybe in time, some of it could sink into my old thick skull. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Enjoy your new treasures.

Jim

Cane
01-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Heidi,

Randy and Scott are both great guys! BTW, did Scott pull his imfamous "Thousand Dollar Bill" bet on you? I keep mine in my wallet and show it to everyone I talk to, teach or play with.

Glad you enjoyed Pool School. I totally agree with you about goldmining. I mined so much that it completely changed my game, and every time I do my Mother Drills it just gets better and better.

Later,
Bob
SPF and FREEEEEEEEEEZE!!!

Karatemom
01-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah, Scott got us with that $$$$ bill trick a while ago. Boy did I fall for that one, lol. Will be going out tonite and first thing I do is work on the one mother drill that I have trouble with, then will hit some balls around working on my aim. Hopefully, by the time that state rolls around, I'll be ready to go!!!

Heide

Cane
01-22-2005, 07:13 PM
This is intense mother drill week for me! I haven't done #1 for so long, because I really got it burned in and didn't need it, but am going through ALL of them every night until I head for Padre on Wednesday. Well, actually Terrell, TX on Wed to meet SPetty, which I'm really looking forward to, then on down to SPI on Thursday.

Anyways, I thought Scott probably got you on that "Bill". He got me... hook line and sinker... reeled me in like a tired old carp!

Later,
Bob

CarolNYC
01-23-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they didn't tell you that this was the way to do it. It was more like, if this works for you, great, if not, try this. <hr /></blockquote>

I like that-options!

Good for you Heide!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dmgwalsh
01-23-2005, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> This is intense mother drill week for me! I haven't done #1 for so long, because I really got it burned in and didn't need it, but am going through ALL of them every night until I head for Padre on Wednesday. Well, actually Terrell, TX on Wed to meet SPetty, which I'm really looking forward to, then on down to SPI on Thursday.

Anyways, I thought Scott probably got you on that "Bill". He got me... hook line and sinker... reeled me in like a tired old carp!

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

What is this mother drill you are talking about. I took three lessons from Scott. It's not the first where you just line up the 9 balls. is it?

He got me on the $1,000.00 trick, too. Greedy little pr### that I am, my eyes lit up at the chance of taking money from this hard working traveling instructor.

A guy from my straight pool league in Chicago said he was going to SPI for a tournament. Must be the same one.

Dennis

Cane
01-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Dennis,

The Mother Drills are practice drills that RandyG and his SPF Family of Instructors teach our students to hone their stroke, speed, cue ball control, etc... there are several of them. They are part of what we call our "Perfect Practice" routine. They are short, sweet and not in the least boring like many practice drills.

Scott's 27 ball drill is a great drill. Actually, I think the drill, for a proficient player, is very easy, but it's a confidence builder from hell... it has become part of my Perfect Practice. It's really somewhere between difficult and impossible to explain the Mother Drills on a forum, but I bet Heidi &amp; CC can already vouch for their value in improving your game.

Later,
Bob