PDA

View Full Version : 9ft. vs 8ft

dutchboy
01-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Need some advise from experienced players...thinking about getting a table for my NY loft. I've got plenty of sq.feet but don't want to turn my house into a game room. My concern is that playing on an 8 footer may not translate to a 9 for league play. Is this true? I heard Mosconi's 500 plus run was on a 8 footer. So I quess my big question is after practicing 4 or 5 hours a day on the 8, will the 9 look managable or will I be thrown off for a while. Being a straight pool player, is handling the stack similar enough to not have to go to a 9footer? I like the idea of having a place to practice away from the crowds and noise...[ I'll also save some dough in the long run.] Any opinions {especially from pro's} would be appreciated.

Billy
01-22-2005, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dutchboy:</font><hr> Need some advise from experienced players...thinking about getting a table for my NY loft. I've got plenty of sq.feet but don't want to turn my house into a game room. My concern is that playing on an 8 footer may not translate to a 9 for league play. Is this true? I heard Mosconi's 500 plus run was on a 8 footer. So I quess my big question is after practicing 4 or 5 hours a day on the 8, will the 9 look managable or will I be thrown off for a while. Being a straight pool player, is handling the stack similar enough to not have to go to a 9footer? I like the idea of having a place to practice away from the crowds and noise...[ I'll also save some dough in the long run.] Any opinions {especially from pro's} would be appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

if I had the room without a doubt I'd get a 9'er

it's actually not that much larger than an eight but I feel the playing advantage would be huge going from a larger table to a smaller size table

jmo

Chris Cass
01-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi Dutch,

I'm not a pro player but I can give you some advice on this matter. I onced asked Dr.Que Tom Rossman about the very same subject. He told me that the 8ft is perfect for a home table. I asked why he thought that way and also told him I played leagues on bar tables and loved playing on the 9fters.

He said, although the rectangle of a bar table and the 9fts are simular and the 8fts and more of a box. That the transition is much easier from both going from the 7ft to the 9ft. Hope that made sence to you but I concider this as good advice.

Regards,

C.C.~~not a pro but shoots with many of them.

Nostalgia
01-22-2005, 05:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>He said, although the rectangle of a bar table and the 9fts are simular and the 8fts and more of a box.<hr /></blockquote>
Chris,

I'm a lot confused by this statement. According to my research (I'm sold on an 8' table myself, for space reasons), all tables are in a 2:1 length:width ratio.

7': 38x76
8': 44x88
8' long: 46x92
9': 50x100

None of these are any "more of a box" than the others. Did I perhaps misunderstand your post?

Thanks,

-Joe

Billy
01-22-2005, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>He said, although the rectangle of a bar table and the 9fts are simular and the 8fts and more of a box.<hr /></blockquote>
Chris,

I'm a lot confused by this statement. According to my research (I'm sold on an 8' table myself, for space reasons), all tables are in a 2:1 length:width ratio.

7': 38x76
8': 44x88
8' long: 46x92
9': 50x100

None of these are any "more of a box" than the others. Did I perhaps misunderstand your post?

Thanks,

-Joe <hr /></blockquote>

your measurements are for the actual playing surfaces only or between the rails

jmo

Cane
01-22-2005, 06:54 PM
90% of my practice time is on a 8' table. I do all of my practice and drills on a 44x88. I do play a lot on bar boxes and a lot on older Gold Crown 100"ers, but practicing on the 88" table, I have no problem whatsoever trasitioning to either a 9' or a 7'.

I would rather have a 9'er, and will after February. I'm moving out of this house into one that will easily accomodate a 9' table, but I don't think, for a home table, you should have any problems going from an 8'er up or down in size... after all, if you think about it, from an 8 to a 9, shooting CB from center table, you're shots are only going to be 6 inches longer. Even table length shots are only going to be 12 inches longer.

Later,
Bob

landshark77
01-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Most of my play is on a bar box. When I play on the 9'ers it takes me a few games to get used to the additional length...after that I am just as on. Please note though, my opportunity to play on a 9'er is currently limited, so if you will consistently be playing on one anyway I doubt a smaller table in your home will have any effect on your game. It has been argued that play on a smaller table will help your game because of the smaller playing surface and the close proximity of the balls.

ras314
01-22-2005, 09:12 PM
It's taken me a year or so but after playing on 7, 8, and 9 footers each several times a week I don't notice size making a big difference. Pocket size and shape is a bigger concern, assuming similar quality tables. There was a while after playing only on 7 footers a 9 looked really intimidating. Then for a while the 7 ft looked cramped and small. Biggest advantages to the 8 ft I can see is there are a lot of them available and probably cheaper than 9 ft. Put the money saved into good cloth, rails, and installation.

Stretch
01-22-2005, 09:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Dutch,

I'm not a pro player but I can give you some advice on this matter. I onced asked Dr.Que Tom Rossman about the very same subject. He told me that the 8ft is perfect for a home table. I asked why he thought that way and also told him I played leagues on bar tables and loved playing on the 9fters.

He said, although the rectangle of a bar table and the 9fts are simular and the 8fts and more of a box. That the transition is much easier from both going from the 7ft to the 9ft. Hope that made sence to you but I concider this as good advice.

Regards,

C.C.~~not a pro but shoots with many of them. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi CC! Sound reasoning from the Dr. haha I've always enjoyed 8 ft.'rs myself. It seems like the runnouts are easier on them.....and that's always more fun /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. And he's right in that it's nothing to shift up or down a notch from 8 rather than back and forth between 7' and 9'.

It realy depends on what you choose to compete on i suppose. Most of the clubs around here are going for the 8ft. So now (depending on who's hosting) You could find yourself playing 9 ball on 8ft. tables. BLASFAMY i know...but that and the 8 ball leagues convinced me recently to purchase an 8 ft. Now if i were a hard Core 9 ball tournament player, i'd go for the 9ft.

Not only that, i got a couple of girls who might like to play a bit, and the 8ft. makes a great learning table too. St.

Angel_R
01-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey Dutch,
I had a 7ft table in my house for 12 yrs. It was a gift and I loved it. There was some adjustment time when I jumped on a 9ft table. When I played on the 7ft, I didn't feel like I had any other advantage against other players. Now I own a 9ft and when I play on the 7ft tables, I shoot the lights out. Again, the only thing to consider is adjusting your stroke for the table size and cloth. IMO if you have the size, get the nine foot, although consider what you want to do. Is this for fun with friends and family or are you considering serious playing. Then I would look at the 8ft table for fun. Do you want to put any furniture around the table? You should think about the table with the odds and ends and then make a decision. Hope that helps /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-23-2005, 06:24 AM
get a 9

dutchboy
01-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Hey Bob, thanks for the feedback...Quick ques. what are the exterior measurements of the 8 footer? I thought I'd tape them both out on the floor to get a better idea of space.

DavidMorris
01-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Outside dimensions will vary by table model, because rails come in different widths. As a ballpark I'd probably add at least 16" to the inside dimensions -- a little more for something like a Gold Crown with very wide rails, a little less for most furniture-type table.

Cane
01-23-2005, 02:03 PM
David is right, every table is going to be different. I've seen some that only had a 3" wide rail cap (ouside of the feather strips). Mine is 17 1/2" wider than the playing surface. Just check with the dealer or manufacturer of whatever kind of table you plan to get. They should be able to give you outside dimensions.

Later,
Bob

01-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

PQQLK9
01-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Are you saying that because are trying to sell them.
If you are then buy an Ad from Billiards Digest.
I don't think the Administrators will allow your sales Ads here.

JDB
01-23-2005, 09:33 PM
I would highly recommend a 9 foot table versus and 8 foot.

IMO, it is much easier to go to a smaller table after practicing on a larger table than the reverse...

JMO...

Rich R.
01-24-2005, 04:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dutchboy:</font><hr>I heard Mosconi's 500 plus run was on a 8 footer. <hr /></blockquote>
When Mosconi played, 8' tables were commonly used for tournaments and a lot of his big runs were on 8' tables.

I have an 8' table at home and it is a good practice table, however, I would still recommend that you get the 9' table. When it comes to long shots, that extra foot makes a big difference.
As far as making your house look like a game room, the different size tables will have nothing to do with that. It is up to you, to decorate your house in a way that makes it look like a classy place to be.

SpiderMan
01-24-2005, 08:02 AM
If you will be competing on nines I'd get one for the home room, other things being equal.

Our in-house league plays on 8-footers, but there are four nines in the room also. I find that I have much more trouble going from the 8 to the 9, than the other way around. Mainly I tend to leave myself long on the nines after playing an evening on the eights, and also I rattle balls because I'm used to being closer and cheating pockets more.

SpiderMan