PDA

View Full Version : Left eye dominant

jw88
01-22-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm a right handed player with a dominant left eye. My question is should I try to play closing my left eye and forcing me to be right eyed dominate (I do this hunting with success)or continue playing the way I have for the last 20yrs. My problem with my stroke right now is that the cue rests against my body when I align myself, maybe thats a good thing since I have 3 contact points but it seems to affect my follow thru adversely. Any help would be appreciated

randyg
01-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Most humans use both eyes to aim. The dominant eye should not even be a factor in your game.....SPF-randyg

jw88
01-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Every human has a dominate eye. When you align yourself either your right eye or left eye will be in alignment with the cue, unless your a cyclops. Anything you do that requires aiming will be based on your dominate eye.

jw88
01-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Maybe I should explain what a dominate eye is. If you hold your hand out and align your thumb with something in the distance and close your right eye, if your left eye dominate the object will still be in alignment but if the object moves then you are right eyed dominate.

Chris Cass
01-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi jw88,

HAHAHAHHA You've just told one of 6 total BCA qualified Master instructor in the U.S., what the dominate eye means. HAHAHAHHAA

Now, I'll give you something to think about. The dominate eye theory doesn't mean much to anyone. Your eyes will adjust to any shot if your head is over the cue. It's all how you align your body over the cuestick. The cue needs to be able to pass freely from the cb throughout your backswing and forward to finish. Touching the body isn't all that good of an idea.

You might think about taking a lesson from RandyG or attend his road tour, when he goes on one. All this is explained in detail along with the ability to correct any future flaws in your game. It's not just a nice thing to do but rather something you need to do for yourself.

Questions, like you've just asked will become much more clear to you. You'll be able to also troubleshoot your own mechanics. That's a bigtime thing. I've been playing 30 yrs although I started at 15 would make it 35 but I took breaks and quit the game 7 times. I revisited things I have done and learned. This course will cut atleast 10 yrs off your learning curve.

JAT,

C.C.~~never assummes the poster can't teach you something. even a "D" player can teach something. PS: Welcome Aboard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

heater451
01-22-2005, 04:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jw88:</font><hr> I'm a right handed player with a dominant left eye. My question is should I try to play closing my left eye and forcing me to be right eyed dominate (I do this hunting with success)or continue playing the way I have for the last 20yrs. My problem with my stroke right now is that the cue rests against my body when I align myself, maybe thats a good thing since I have 3 contact points but it seems to affect my follow thru adversely. Any help would be appreciated <hr /></blockquote>I would stick with using your dominant eye. However, you could check for how you are aligning your head and cue--is the cue under the midline of your chin, or is it under your left eye? (Note, an issue with testing this, is you may not know how you normally line up, and when you check, either way seems "natural".)

Also, does it throw you off a lot, to simply back away from the cue, for hand-clearance, and bend over the cue more to compensate that little bit?

I am left-hand, left-eye dominant, but when I shoot right-handed, I bend enough to get my left eye over the cue. I can play well enough that way, in that I believe you only need to practice and you will adjust--you probably have, considering you say that you've played that way for 20 yrs!

You may have a more general, stance-related issue, than an actual stroke problem.

==========================

Nostalgia
01-22-2005, 05:49 PM
I am also right hand / left eye dominant. When I line up my shot, my left eye is centered over the cue stick. I still shoot with both eyes open, but having my left eye over the stick allows me to much more accurately sight the shot.

Incidentally, I also make and shoot wooden bows. I learned to shoot left handed to take advantage of my left eye dominance. I actually feel I have an advantage, since my strong arm is the one doing the aiming, and my "weak" arm is only holding the string at anchor.

I also shoot rifles off my left shoulder so I can sight down the barrel with my left eye. It's all much more natural that way.

-Joe

GeraldG
01-22-2005, 08:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jw88:</font><hr> Every human has a dominate eye. When you align yourself either your right eye or left eye will be in alignment with the cue, unless your a cyclops. Anything you do that requires aiming will be based on your dominate eye. <hr /></blockquote>

There are a few people that do not have a dominant eye. I believe that most of them are also completely ambidextrous.

As Randy said, in shooting pool eye dominanace should not really make a difference. Most aiming problems are not really aiming problems at all in the final analysis. Usually, it is stance and alignment problems. These problems will cause you to strike the cueball in a different place than where you intended because your stroke will not be straight and you will end up trying to "steer" the cue during your stroke. You will be looking at the proper contact point on the object ball, but because you mis-hit the cueball, you will actually make contact with the OB in the wrong place, causing a miss and making you think your aiming was off. Listen to Randy. He knows what he's talking about. While you're at it, listen to Dave Morris, Bob Jewett, Scott Lee, pooltchr, Fred Agnir, Dr_Dave...and several others on here. They know what they are talking about, too. You may see them disagree on some point or another from time to time...and you may disagree with them from time to time. Does that mean one of them is wrong or doesn't know what he's talking about? Not at all...it just means there is more than one way to look at a thing just as there is more than one way to do a thing. If you just read and pay attention for a bit, you will figure out who they are and what you can learn from them. In fact, I have learned at least SOMETHING from just about everyone on here.

ras314
01-22-2005, 08:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr>
There are a few people that do not have a dominant eye. I believe that most of them are also completely ambidextrous.
<hr /></blockquote>

All the little checks for dominate eye have never shown any preference which eye for me. Which is a good thing I guess since I'm approaching blindness in the right eye. I shot iron sights on pistols and rifles for years with both eyes open with no problems. I can't recall ever noticing anyone shooting pool with one eye closed. I do remember an eye patch kept in a pool hall for a handicap.

So I never have understood the left or right dominance problem.

jw88
01-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the input. After reading a fairly long thread that was posted earlier about this issue it seems that there is no right answer. I have a fairly strong left eye dominance so for me I need to have my left eye aligned. I guess the other part of my problem is what I'll need to work on.