PDA

View Full Version : Will Corey Deuel and Alex P. ever top Effren Reyes

LeftyIke
01-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Will the younger greats like Corey Deuel,Alex P., Mika I.,Jeremy Jones,Charlie Williams, and the like end up being as good as Effren Reyes/Francisco Bustamante/Earl Strickland/Mike Sigel are/were? Is Effren generally accepted now as being as good or better than Mosconi/Greenleaf/Lassiter?

recoveryjones
01-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Because of the importance of the break in 9 ball, Alex and Corey can match up OK with Efren. When it comes to overall pool, one pocket, rotation, 8 ball, straight, banks etc they don't stand a chance. Many people all ready feel that Efren is the greatest ever.He's just proved it again by winning the Derbys all around champion. RJ

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2005, 09:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> ...Efren is the greatest ever.<hr /></blockquote>

Yep.
-
-
-
-
JMHO

I just had the pleasure of watching him go thru excellent players like Sherman went thru Georgia....

The stuff he does is unbelievable.

thepoolnerd
01-22-2005, 11:47 PM
RJ said it best. 9 ball at the championship level is a breaking contest. Until younger players realize that Efren developed his skills playing 3 cushion, balkline and rotation, and not 9 ball they will never be half the player he is. The fact that Johnny Archer was the player of the decade for the 90's was a joke. Not to take away from his 9 ball ability, but he's never won a 14.1 or 1p title. Efren has been the best all around player on the planet since for almost 20 years.

Bob Watson
02-17-2005, 02:39 AM
I think they may take over the spot light. But I dont think they will ever be able to top his abilities at the table, or have his range of shots, kicks and positional touch. From what I have heard of Greenleaf and Wimpy and Irish and Don Willis etc. is that Reyes was in their class of palyer. Dont get me wrong all the top players of each era could get the job done and bring home the cash but every now and then like in all sports a player comes along that just rasies the bar a little higher. Just like Magic/Bird and Jordan did for basketball.

Fred Agnir
02-17-2005, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> The fact that Johnny Archer was the player of the decade for the 90's was a joke. Not to take away from his 9 ball ability, but he's never won a 14.1 or 1p title. <hr /></blockquote>Johnny Archer did win a 14.1 title, beating Nick Varner in the finals of the... someone fill in the name of the tourney please. He has a high run in the 200's if not more. When I saw him run over a hundred at the last US Open 14.1, he ran them "by the numbers" so to speak. That is, he played perfect 14.1.

Fred

ryushen21
02-17-2005, 11:42 AM
it seems like i remember watching a tape of Efren go through 5 or 6 racks of rotation without missing a shot. and that was just warming up. that says quite a bit.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-17-2005, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> it seems like i remember watching a tape of Efren go through 5 or 6 racks of rotation without missing a shot. and that was just warming up. that says quite a bit. <hr /></blockquote>

I watched John Schmidt at last year's DCC warm up by running 3 racks of rotation. I don't know if he could have done 5 or 6 though /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ryushen21
02-17-2005, 11:42 PM
running 1 rack of rotation - good

running 3 racks of rotation - awesome

running 6 racks of rotation - "God" like

i think efren falls into that last category.

ChuckR
02-18-2005, 06:50 AM
I would also have to pick Efren, possible even over Mosconi, since he covers the entire spectrum of games. When you even through in 3 cushion, he is even more amazing. What really makes him even more of a champion is his conduct during his matches. I have NEVER see him act anything other than a gentleman, and that has included matches against "Earl the squirrel" where Earl was being booed by the audience for his behavior. My vote would have to go for Efren.

SUPERSTAR
02-18-2005, 09:51 AM
You know.
About 10 years ago....or whenever south philly was still open.
Efren was in town with Busty and Luat. The owner had a special rack of balls that i think was used for a game called "baseball". It had an extra 6 balls than the normal rack, and the balls were numbered up to 21. They even had a special rack and everything for it.

I watched efren after many many tries, run 2 racks of THAT!
Which to this day, i still see it as close to impossible. There was absolutely NO room on the table. Of the shots he took in those racks, i would say that at least 2 per rack were slight masse shots that he HAD to make to continue shooting.
It made us all sick watching it.

SUPERSTAR

ryushen21
02-20-2005, 11:38 PM
We were talking about the whole Efren/Corey topic this weekend at my tournament. I'm not sure if it was accurate or not, but a friend of mine told me that Efren won some balk line tournament so many times that they would no longer let him play in it. So Efren would show up, wait for the winner, play him and take all of his money.

Some friends of mine also talked about how they saw Corey Deuel play and they said he was just a machine and tore through a lot of people.

I still say Efren though. Someday i wanna see him play in person.

Cueless Joey
02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> We were talking about the whole Efren/Corey topic this weekend at my tournament. I'm not sure if it was accurate or not, but a friend of mine told me that Efren won some balk line tournament so many times that they would no longer let him play in it. So Efren would show up, wait for the winner, play him and take all of his money.

<hr /></blockquote>
Not balkline but straight-rail tournaments in the Philippines called Karambola King of the Philippines.
He was no longer allowed so he'd play the tournament winners. He'd give a huge spot even. Still beat them.
I once saw Efren play 3 cushion at the second floor of Hollywood Billiards when they still had one 3-c table up there. He played with a Meucci pool cue and still beat the other guy.

buddha162
02-21-2005, 02:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>He played with a Meucci pool cue and still beat the other guy.<hr /></blockquote>

That is some serious handicapping...Lol

-Roger