PDA

View Full Version : Need help with sighting. Am mostly blind in R eye

deadeye
01-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Hello I just joined this forum. I am an avid pool player but have a delima. I am right handed and I have no forward vision in my right eye. Only some periphel vision. I have a hard time sighting balls. The method that seems to work best is to use may stance to line up then concentrate on a nice smooth and straight stroke and almost ignore what my eyes see as the way I see the shot changes as my eyes try
to adjust. I can close my eyes and make shots fairly well.
I allways read that one is to look at the object ball when making the final stroke but when I do this I dont hit the cue ball precisly. And to shift my focus back and forth really messes up the way I see the shot. One main question I have is it possible to sight mainly on the cue ball and strive for accuracy and only see the object ball in peripheral way. I have tried to modify my stance to put my left eye directly over the cue but this totally changes my stance strains my yes and destroys my stroke. I have played 35 years and it would be very hard to make such a change now. I am having a hard time improving my game and am frustrated and would appreciate any suggestions that might help me. I am sorry for the long post but wanted to give a clear picture of my situation. I have been right eye blind for 20 years but only now have become very serious about inproving my game. I am tired of staying at the same level. Help!

ras314
01-22-2005, 09:31 PM
My right eye is not as bad as yours but I know the feeling!

What has helped is a preshot routine as taught by Scott Lee and probably many others. I do not consicously aim and never have, I just focus on the contact point of the ob and try to hit that. If you get your practice strokes in line and nice and smooth, then a slight pause with the cue at the cb before the final backswing will give you time focus on the ob and still hit the cb at the desired point. After enough practice.

DickLeonard
01-23-2005, 10:43 AM
How about using a Patch to develop your good eye to its maximum. I have access to an eye dr. I will email him and see what he says.####

deadeye
01-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I really want to thank both posters for their feedback. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TennesseeJoe
01-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Try to close you bad eye and aim only with your good eye. I only shoot with one eye open. E-mail me and we can discuss. Tennesseejoe6@aol.com

edatplaypool
02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Maybe you need to practice more. Give your brother a call for a practice session. I understand if you compete against players who are better than you, your game will improve faster.

Maybe your just an old fart did you ever consider that??

stickman
02-09-2005, 11:39 PM
My instructor (Scott Lee) advised me to shoot looking at the object ball last. He didn't insist on it though. He shot great that way and had students that did also. I believe that I read a post that he was shooting both ways now. I still shoot primarily looking at the object ball last, but there are many situations that I choose to shoot looking at the cueball last. Jump shots are best for me looking at the cueball last. Short, easy shots with critical position are best for me using the cueball last method. It's the long shots that give me the most problem with that method. (of course long shots are the most difficult either way) Since I know that there are those that play well with that method, I feel like it is just a matter of adjusting. I hope it will be of help to you.

christopheradams
02-10-2005, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote deadeye:</font><hr> . I am an avid pool player but have a delima. I am right handed and I have no forward vision in my right eye. Only some periphel vision. I have a hard time sighting balls. I have tried to modify my stance to put my left eye directly over the cue but this totally changes my stance strains my yes and destroys my stroke. I have played 35 years and it would be very hard to make such a change now. I am having a hard time improving my game and am frustrated and would appreciate any suggestions that might help me. <hr /></blockquote>

Do you bend your left/bridge arm or keep it straight? I've found that a bent arm lets me get my eyes closer to the cue stick. And if you exagerate it you could get your good eye right up to a few inches from the tip of the cue.
You don't have to go to that extreme but it cold bring you down a little more without the discomfort.

Also have you tried a more open stance where you face the shot more with your body. More like a snooker stance, this could get youd own a little lower as well.

You could also try squatting more and bending both legs.

How are you with the rake/bridge/cheatstick/ladies aid/sissystick ? Maybe the opposite of getting real close to the shot would work and you could become a magican with the bridge. I play in a tournament every week and we use to get this lady that came by who had a problem with on arm and shot all here shots one handed. She was pretty good too and beat a lot of people.