PDA

View Full Version : Moving a pool table question?

bigshooter
01-23-2005, 08:24 AM
I want to buy a used pool table but since I rent and plan on moving in 1-2 years I don't want to hassle with setting up a nine foot table even though thats what I really want.

I know that the 7' bar tables are on piece slate and can be moved without disassembly so that is an option I thought about, we used to move those all the time by flipping them on edge onto a cart and simply rolling them into a truck.
But I'm not sure about 8' tables , are most 8' tables two piece slate?
Is it safe to move a two piece slate table without taking it apart?
Are there 8' tables that are one piece slate?

I want the biggest table I can get with the least amount of hassle I guess.
I want to just buy a table that I can move to my house in once piece, put the legs on and level.

mworkman
01-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Myself and several of my friends have had 8' tables. They were all 3-piece slate. I'm sure they have em in 1-piece, but those are probably pretty old. I recently bought a 7'coin-op from the local amusement co. They delieverd and set it up for $900.00 + tax. I didn't have to do anything as they leveled it also. If you get a furnature style 7' I believe those all come in 3-piece slate now. At least each piece wont be soo heavy which will make it easier. Good luck.

DavidMorris
01-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Nearly all 8' slate tables will be 3-piece nowadays. 1-piece used to be more common, but I think it's pretty rare now unless you're buying an old table (or one of the new Diamond tournament 1-piece models, but I don't know that it comes in 8').

Popcorn
01-23-2005, 11:40 AM
You already know what is involved in the moving of the tables, you have to decide on your priorities. You want the pleasure of playing on the table you really want for possibly several thousand hours for the trade off of a few hours time in moving it later, or do you want to play on a table you don't even want for possibly a few thousand hours to save a tiny bit of labor when it is time to move. Keep in mind, both tables will require work when it comes time to move it. Based on my own priorities I would find it to be an easy decision.