PDA

View Full Version : Talisman break tip

c.holtz009
01-23-2005, 08:35 AM
The tip on my Predator BK was getting a little low, so I decided to replace it with a Talisman break tip.
My break is pretty good . I pocket a ball and hold the cueball about 60% of the time, and I generate a lot of power on my breakshot.
Before I changed the tip, when I broke the cue ball would normally pop up off the table about ten inches, and come to rest in the middle of the table.
Now when I stroke the ball with 3/4 of my usual break stroke, the cueball literally jumps straight up off the table about three feet (no joke) and comes to rest on the floor.
This blows my mind because this has never happened to me before I changed to the Talisman break tip.
Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening and how I can fix this without having to reduce my brek shot power? I always use about 1/4 - 1/2 tip of bottom on the break shot, but after the arial antics of whitey, I went to a center ball hit, and still had the same results. AAARRRGGG!!!
Maybe I should just put a prachute on the cue ball and call it a day.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Troy
01-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Three feet ???
You must be breaking lots of lights..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr>Now when I stroke the ball with 3/4 of my usual break stroke, the cueball literally jumps straight up off the table about three feet (no joke) and comes to rest on the floor.

Sid_Vicious
01-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Back off on your cenantics of lunging(you do, right?) and learn just exactly whear you are striking the CB(look at it last instead of the OB for a change. You are expecting godzilla and getting more of a bar box smasher effect. Chill, begin over with less speed and then add it back in when whities stays "off the elevation scamper." You are trying to hit it to hard, especially if you are using any cut breaking at all, including top and bottom. My XH Talismans did the same thing for a shot of monster attempts, and imo, THAT uumph is under-rated, until you regain your timing and accuracy. Taking the XH off is the easiest thing to do, I've cut off many over time, and replaced them with may old standard tip. I currently use a phenolic I'd cut off my Stealth, put it on my Falcon breaker, and now pop the rack easily with accuracy, no CB poppng off the slate, and almost never off of the table. Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy, and practic in where you hit that exact CB point, with near no body lunge at all. The densest tip materials doe not need all that forced power to be superior to standard coposites. A hard triangle is hard to beat, but I still use the phenolic, just refined my stroke timing and accuracy unitl the break was under my control. Break like a girl for a while, and then move back to the manly break in graduations of incresed speed. Breaking imo needs relearning when going to sythetics. Do you break from the side rail? Go to a diamond away from the rail and bridge from the surface of the table instead, at least for this endevor. It ain't that hard, just takes re-learning...sid~~~will cut it off or else "go back to breaking" school, no rocket science...the phelolics do make breaking more impacting, with a slowed down pace and with focus of where whitie is struck, precicely, easy as pie

BLACKHEART
01-23-2005, 10:34 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifThe only way the Q ball can become airborne, when it hits another ball, is if your stroke is DOWNWARD &amp; you are driving the Q ball into the slate. That means that you will hit the head ball ABOVE center &amp; it will be forced upward. If you are not contacting the head ball full in the face, you're losing some of the power that you are putting into the shot. Forget the show &amp; concentrate on a better hit...JER

c.holtz009
01-23-2005, 11:54 AM
The cue ball is going up and back at about a 45 degree angle, but when it is at it's peak height, I cannot see it because of the table lights being in the way.
I've never had this problem before, and the only thing I have changed is the tip.
I'll try backing off the power, and concentrate on the control.
Thanks for the advice.
This board is so full of knowlege it sometimes makes my head spin, and the people are awesome. Too bad all boards couldn't have such a great bunch of people.
Thanx!!!

ThePoolHustler
01-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Why are you breaking with so much power/force? A break shot does not always require a lot of power/force. Sometimes it is better to break with less power/force. Give it a try and see what happens. Be sure that you are keeping your cue level and that you are not pulling up and scooping the cue ball or topping the cue ball. If you top the cue ball it will definitely jump off the table. The cue ball jumps off the table on every shot, some less than others. Sometimes it is not very noticeable. If you top the cue ball it forces the cue ball into the table which makes the cue ball jump up in the air. Practice your stroke and try to keep it as level as possible. I think that you may be exerting too much power/force into your break which makes you lose control of your stroke. Therefore, when the cue tip hits the cue ball it isn't actually striking the cue ball where you intended it to. Slow down. Relax. Take a couple practice strokes. Watch some pros play sometime. They don't always use a powerful/forceful break. You may have better overall control with a softer/less powerful break.

Good luck! I hope this helps. It's just my opinion.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Troy
01-23-2005, 02:37 PM
BINGO !!!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifThe only way the Q ball can become airborne, when it hits another ball, is if your stroke is DOWNWARD &amp; you are driving the Q ball into the slate. That means that you will hit the head ball ABOVE center &amp; it will be forced upward. If you are not contacting the head ball full in the face, you're losing some of the power that you are putting into the shot. Forget the show &amp; concentrate on a better hit...JER <hr /></blockquote>