PDA

View Full Version : Fl. Spirit Tour

johnnyt
01-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Anyone know who won the first stop on the tour Sunday? Thank you.
Johnnyt

johnnyt
01-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Oppppppps this IS Sunday. Its hell being retired.
Johnnyt

johnnyt
01-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Anyone have any results on this tour stop. Thank you.
Johnnyt

jjinfla
01-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Did Vivian Villarreal show up? If so then I pick her to win. I hear there is an incentive for her to win three in a row.

Jake

landshark77
01-23-2005, 08:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Did Vivian Villarreal show up? If so then I pick her to win. I hear there is an incentive for her to win three in a row.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know much about the Spirit tour, but is Vivian even allowed to play? Don't most of the regional tours stipulate that the top 16 are not permitted to shoot?

johnnyt
01-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes she was playing and she won.
Johnnyt

jjinfla
01-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Vivian received special dispensation from the Pope. Er the WPBA. Actually if a tour does not interfere with the WPBA and they comply with decency, or whatever codes/rules that govern the WPBA, and the tour players don't mind, then it is okay for the pro to play in the tournament. That is why Karen can play in the Joss Tour I suspect.

Well, that is one down for Vivian. Can she win the next two? The girls/ladies will be gunning for her. The next stop for the Spirit Tour will be at Capone's in February and I hope to make it there. Think you will be there?

Jake

johnnyt
01-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Has Vivian moved to florida?
Johnnyt

Barbara
01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah, why would Vivian play in a Regional Tour event?

Barbara

SPetty
01-24-2005, 07:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Yeah, why would Vivian play in a Regional Tour event?<hr /></blockquote>Huh? What do you mean? Don't pros regularly play in NEWT regional tour events? Did you miss a smiley face? I'm so confused ..&gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
01-25-2005, 07:12 AM
SPetty,

Last time I checked Vivian lives in TX, so she would have to fly to FL to play for a $700 first place prize fund. I don't know, but unless she got comped for a hotel room and her meals, this doesn't seem like a money-making enterprise.

And yeah, my State Championships are open to the Touring Pros, but the ones that do compete don't fly in just to play.

I'm wondering if this is the result of the new sanctioning rules the WPBA laid out and Vivian is looking for new avenues of competition.

Barbara

Nostroke
01-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Vivian is sponsored by the Seminoles so that is one reason she is in FL often.

I wasnt there but the story of the tournament has to be Wendy Jans (SP?), the young Belgian babe who got 2nd in this super strong tour.

jjinfla
01-25-2005, 10:10 AM
The Seminoles sponsor both Corey and Vivian and they want them both to help members of the Tribe who play pool. And both are great ambasadors for the sport. So I imagine Vivian will be visiting the reservation doing that and while there play with the Women. How nice is that! It should be a great shot in the arm for the Spirit Tour.

And, if the Tour leaders play their cards right maybe Osceola will show up while Vivian is at one of their stops and if he likes what he sees he might just sponsor them. Or help them out a little.

He really does seem like a nice friendly person.

Jake

johnnyt
01-25-2005, 02:04 PM
I agree with you jjinfl. But it is still a shame to see the $$ go to non tour members. Its so little to start with.
Johnnyt

jjinfla
01-25-2005, 05:13 PM
I talked a little bit with Tracie Majors Minor last saturday and she gave me the impression that the girls really didn't mind Vivian being there.

And Tracie plays on the WPBA. As does Jeannie and Sarah and Helene and Bonnie and a few others. So it is good training for them. They meet a top pro in their environment and find out that they really don't have to fear them. I hear Vivian came close to losing a match.

Jake

Barbara
01-25-2005, 10:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I talked a little bit with Tracie Majors Minor last saturday and she gave me the impression that the girls really didn't mind Vivian being there.

And Tracie plays on the WPBA. As does Jeannie and Sarah and Helene and Bonnie and a few others. So it is good training for them. They meet a top pro in their environment and find out that they really don't have to fear them. I hear Vivian came close to losing a match.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

This is why I opt for some open events with the Touring Pros for other than State Championships. With explanations to a newbie to the Tour, anything can happen. And it's exciting when you play someone you see on TV. You will always remember that match!

It's a Catch-22 clause.

When you do become a seriously interested player, the Touring Pro interference rule comes into your mind and you begin to resent the Regional Tour Coordinator's decision to open up events Touring Pros. But!!!

I was Karen Corr's first opponent on US soil at Champions Billiards Cafe in Laurel MD. Candi Rego was the Tour Coordinator and a Touring Pro at the same time and by golly, if she was going to run these events, she was going to play in them, too. ChristyD knows this scenario all too well. So Candi opened all of the NEWT events to everyone for her years that she ran the Tour. You could hear a collective groan when Karen and Julie would walk into an event. We all knew we'd be playing for third but who would get the Qualifier? Luck of the draw!! And it toughened you up!! It was difficult to live with, but that was what the fun was all about!! Drawing tough and living through it!!

Barbara~~~just looking for notches on my cue anymore...

jjinfla
01-26-2005, 07:03 AM
Barbara,

As a spectator I look at the Spirit Tour as a stepping stone to get to the pro ranks - the WPBA. I don't just think of the tour as an Amateur Open Tour. If that is the case then the players should welcome the occasional pro. It will give them a realistic experience of what it is like playing against all pros in the WPBA.

Of course if all of a sudden several pros from the WPBA showed up that might have a negative effect and discourage the players.

But I would expect that players who really want to win qualifiers to get into the WPBA would welcome the occasional pro and should not automatically think they are playing for 2nd. Think positive and how sweet it will be when they beat the pro. If they beat the pro then they can play with anyone.

Jake
Jake