PDA

View Full Version : I got drilled today

02-20-2002, 07:34 PM
By a guy that I used to give the seven. This frustrated me to no end. I guess it is to be expected after a significant layoff. I am trying to tell myself that eventually I'll be back to speed but, I have my doubts. Todays beating is truly depressing. I just could not finish my outs.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-20-2002, 09:39 PM
I think losing like this can give you some motivation to hit the practice table.. play some players that you will make you 'bear' down and play.. NEXT time this guy will be the one posting here..

02-20-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi Tom,
I think it's more of a mental thing with competing. In practice my stroke and fundamentals are sound. The hit is pure and I am confident of the OB's destination. When I match up I think I am not finishing my stroke, like I am afraid of hitting the ball or something. I am also aware of it and I keep telling myself to stroke like it's practice.
I know its got to do with getting my head screwed on right more than anything. After my beating I went back to practicing and the confident, pure stroke, and pocketing skills were again apparrent.

02-20-2002, 10:07 PM
I agree, if you see me ferociously doing drills on Friday that usually means I lost my Thursday night match. Losing gives me more motivation than anything. As far as "the shot"'s mental state that's another thread and something I really can't address.

Wally

Tom_In_Cincy
02-21-2002, 04:18 PM
Scott E,

Sounds like you need to develope a Pre-Shot Routine that will keep all of your distractions in some other area of your mind.

When you start thinking about stroke follow through while you are down on the cue ball.. this is the wrong time to be thing about anything except execution.

Do all your thinking standing up.. all of it.. cue ball position, english, speed, op into pocket.. all done standing up.. The only thing you should do when down on the cue ball is your stroking and shot execution.

cheesemouse
02-21-2002, 04:28 PM
Tom in Cincy,
If I ever get a tattoo it will be what you just said in your reply to Scott E only reduced to some catchly short phrase like; Think up; shot down and have that tattood on the palm of my hand for quick reference /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

heater451
02-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Try this:

When you approach the table, always hold your cue in a manner that you don't immediately get down and shoot. Two suggestions: <ul type="square"> Hold both hands together on the cue, in front of you, and face the table/shot squarely.--This one makes you completely move back from the table, in order to assume your stance and lay your cue down.[/list]<ul type="square"> Hold the cue horizontally, arms extended downward.--Not necessarily better that the other, but I like this one, mostly because it's easier to hold, if I decide to move around the table to look at shots.
[/list]
The idea is to make a clean separation, between the thinking phase, and the execution phase of the shot routine. Assigning a particular stance to helps.

Avoid walking up to the table, laying the cue on the rail, and thinking while bending down to shoot. Don't think about the shot (change your mind) while doing the warmup strokes. This is rushing the execution.

TomBrooklyn
02-21-2002, 06:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I got drilled today...By a guy that I used to give the seven. This frustrated me to no end. I guess it is to be expected after a significant layoff. I am trying to tell myself that eventually I'll be back to speed but, I have my doubts. Today’s beating is truly depressing. I just could not finish my outs.

<hr></blockquote>

I saw this post when it was first made, and purposely didn't reply, because I figured I'd let someone else say it; but I think everything said so far misses the mark. You mostly answered your own question. You were out of practice. You got beat. Why so surprised?

In addition to being out of practice, you might have had a bad outing, your opponent may have been playing a lot during your layoff, and he might have had a particularly good day. Why don't you turn your loss into a motivation to practice and study books and tapes and/or take some lessons to improve your game.

It is an interesting phenomenon that many people expect to win just because they are pretty good at something. I find it quite amusing to see the shock and disbelief that some people adopt when I beat them. Usually, they have unjustified expectations of themselves, and have trouble comprehending how I could best them. Typically, they are not putting in the time and effort that would be required to beat me. 95% of players fall somewhere in between the extremes of the worst and the best players. There are tons of players out there better than you and I. You and I are going to lose plenty of times. If you don't, then your initials are ES or EF or your ducking the hard competition.

It's normal to be disappointed to lose. We all play to win. But it's not a rational cause for depression. A cause for depression would be if you could never play pool again for some reason, heavens forbid.

One of my current motivations for playing is to beat my younger out-of-state brother who whopped me after I pretty much laid off for years while he apparently was playing quite a bit. He got cocky. I got embarrassed. Now I'm pissed. I feel it every time I think about it. Next I'll get revenge. Then I'll be cocky. But I'm prepared and plan to pay for the pleasure with lots of practice and study. I'm taking no prisoners. Luckily, it's fun along the way.

JimS
02-21-2002, 06:54 PM
I don't like getting chalk dust on my bridge hand so I switch the cue to my other hand after shooting in order to pick up and apply the chalk. In other words, in between shots I hold the chalk in my grip hand and hold the cue in my bridge hand. Then I keep it there while looking the shot over. This diminishes the temptation to jump up from a completed shot and jump into the next one without thought and planning.

Regards, JimS

cheesemouse
02-21-2002, 08:33 PM
heater451,
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Avoid walking up to the table, laying the cue on the rail, and thinking while bending down to shoot. Don't think about the shot (change your mind) while doing the warmup strokes. This is rushing the execution.

<hr></blockquote>

Could you elaborate on this please. My mind isn't getting the picture for sure. I think I know what you mean but......

02-21-2002, 09:55 PM
Tom, you're certainly right about nothing giving you more motivation to improve one's performance than losing. I got drilled myself today by a pro player in an all afternoon practice session - in front of my own customers! The good news is we weren't playing for anything and that (as always with this player) I enjoyed the session and the competition immensely. What's even better is that I'll have an opportunity for a rematch against this same player real soon - and I hope to be ready for it! - Chris in NC

heater451
02-22-2002, 10:54 AM
Re: Avoid walking up to the table, laying the cue on the rail, and thinking while bending down to shoot. Don't think about the shot (change your mind) while doing the warmup strokes. This is rushing the execution.

Cheesmouse, what I'm saying here, is if you immediately walk up to the table, briefly think about what you're going to shoot while already getting down into a shooting stance, you're getting ready to shoot before you're actually ready.
And, since you've rushed into it, if you're down, and you start second-guessing how you want to take the shot, you increase your chances of missing it.

Break down your pre-shot routine. For example:<ul type="square"> Part 1-PLANNING--- (Standing)Formulate plan to shoot.
Part 2-EXECUTION-- Assume stance; Execute plan.
[/list]
You can go deeper into each part, like so:

PLAN--<ul type="square"> Scan the table for all possible shots. Identify the problem areas of the table (run-stoppers, for example).
Predict what could go wrong with the shot/position, and adjust permutations for speed and spin.
Decide on whether you want to risk the shot/position, or if you want to try another shot.[/list]
EXECUTE--<ul type="square"> Line up the shot.
Assume your stance and focus your aim.
Take your warmup strokes.
Make final stroke, and follow through
[/list]
I know this is "mechanical", but if you practice enough, the steps will begin to flow together, and you won't have to think about it so much.

Does that help?

cheesemouse
02-22-2002, 10:59 AM
heater451,
Thanks for the added explaination. Just as I expected, we are on the same page. That is one of the weaknesses of my game when I get tired. I won't get back off shot when I know I'm in the wrong mode over the ball. Thanks again.

heater451
02-22-2002, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> That is one of the weaknesses of my game when I get tired. I won't get back off shot when I know I'm in the wrong mode over the ball.<hr></blockquote>

I still rush sometimes, myself--but then again, most of the time I don't want to think that much. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Other times, however, if the shot 'doesn't feel right' while I'm down, I will just stop thinking about it, and quickly stand up.

You know how, when you're playing w/ a friend, and you're down on a not-so-great shot, and your friend says something like, "Why don't you shoot the 3"? And you look at the 3-ball, and sure enough, it's a better shot, so you jump up like someone stuck you with a pin? That's what you have to do when you're inner voice says, "Are you sure you want to do that?" Get up, and look over everything again, starting from the top of the planning stage.

02-22-2002, 12:51 PM
It is so easy to feel inadequate after a layoff, and that affects our game. Recall your aggressive attitude
when you were playing a lot and that will help, but you gotta get the hours in too.
B.
P.S. I agree that we cant get past frustration if we dont finish the stroke.

Ralph S.
03-08-2002, 04:07 PM
I have encountered this problem myself in the past and what usually works best for me is to just simply treat it as a practice session. I play competition practice games with my tourney partner and play quite well during the practice and in serious competition, by thinking that my opponent is my partner. It works well for singles too. If you try it I hope it helps, all i know is it works for me.
Ralph S.

stickman
03-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Heater451, your routine sounds very much like mine. I try to use a consistant stance. The width of my stance varies depending on the shot. I'll use a narrow stance when shooting off the rail and a wider stance shooting a shot that is away from the rail, but always line up the same way every time. Addressing the ball needs to be consistant as well. Once you determine your address, do it the same way for the rest of your pool playing life. I survey my shots standing erect. When I'm sure what shot I want to take and visualize where I intend to strike the OB, along with where I intend to leave the cue ball, what english, if any, etc, I set my feet for my stance and swing down for my shot. Once my mind is made up, I try to never second guess myself. If you're not sure, stand up and reassess the situation. When you are confident, swing down, take a couple of practice strokes and execute the shot. Consistancy is key.