PDA

View Full Version : What Would YOU want to see changed?

Tom_In_Cincy
05-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Do you really have an interest in seeing Pool Change?

Would you like to know exactly where you rank in the levels of all pool players?

Would you like to be able to walk into any pool hall and see STANDARDS in rules? equipment? leagues? and Tournaments?

Would you like to a member of an organization that is solely dedicated to the PLAYERS?

What do you think this would take?

HOW many different rules are there for just 8 ball leagues?

Why put up with tournament rules that change from one pool hall to another?

There are sucessful amature player oganizations for Golf, Baseball, Bowling, Softball, Darts, Volley Ball, Tennis, Soccer and more. Why not one for Pool?

It will be non-profit, and just used to gain a collective voice to the industry. We want to make Pool better, these are the issues... let's talk, let's plan, let's get it on, or we won't support you.

But, and here is the big problem, WHO would we talk to?

Doctor_D
05-28-2002, 05:26 AM
Good morning:

Standardization and uniformity would, with-out a doubt, benefit any organization. However, as much of this has been covered previously in many other threads, absent professional management and serious money and a desire and commitment from those who play the game, nothing will ever change.

Dr. D.

Kato
05-28-2002, 07:34 AM
Tom, I'd like straight table, good cloth, and a good atmosphere. If you're talking about changing or helping the pro game, well. Pool halls are too small for real spectator viewing of big tournaments, when I go to the Open this year I suppose I'll see what it's supposed to be like. All the tournaments I've been to, I've only been to 1 with stadium type seating for the spectators.

Big purses come with more people, more people bring more sponsors, more sponsors bring more dollars. Players are happy, fans happy, promoter happy, sponsors happy. Until tournaments are put on for the fans, there will be no money for promotors and players.

As an example, last year I went to Charlie Williams tournament in Orlando at Pro Billiards. While I'm sure Pro Billiards is a good place to play pool it wasn't a great venue for the tournament unless you had VIP seating. Charlie brought in great players (I drove the 4 1/2 hours just to see Johnny Archer) and there were matches with star power right in front of me. Who could ask for more, on tables, 20 feet from me was Buddy, John DiToro, Johnny A, Jeremy Jones, T.K., Nick Varner, and Charlie. Wow!!!!!!! Too bad I couldn't see anything. I left disappointed. I should've gotten seating but I've always paid general admission and seen what I've wanted to. At least I found a good steakhouse on the way home.

So I guess what I'm ranting about is that I think that I want tournaments to be put on for me, THE FAN, and that's what I want changed.

Kato~~~thanks for listening.

PS. I may be going back to Pro Billiards for the tournament again. This time I'll pay for seating.