PDA

View Full Version : Pool Table Recommendations

edknow2
01-24-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm new to the site and you've probably heard this question a thousand times, but I'm getting ready to purchase a pool table for my Rec Room (budget $2,500 -$3,000). What manufacturer makes the best table for my budget??

DavidMorris
01-24-2005, 12:47 PM
You're likely to get lots of different suggestions here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My advice -- if you intend to buy new -- would be stick with a known brand from a reputable dealer (make sure the dealer is an AUTHORIZED dealer, especially when buying Brunswick). You can also sometimes find used tables at a good price, such as when poolhalls turnover their tables every few years. When you're looking to spend that much $$$, I'd urge you to stay away from the "internet specials" and brands that you've never heard of. If you find what looks to be a good deal and want to get opinions on it, come back here and ask. A quality table will last a lifetime, even one at that price, if you know what you're buying and take good care of it.

If buying new, my recommendations would be Olhausen or Brunswick -- both make nice tables in that price range. Olhausen is a little cheaper, and made in the U.S. if that's important to you, but I prefer Brunswick. They're mostly imported now but are still well built and Brunswick offers a lifetime warranty provided the table is purchased from an authorized dealer and setup by a Brunswick-certified mechanic (which most all authorized dealers are). You can get a nice entry-level hardwood table with 1" slate depending on pricing in your area.

I bought a Brunswick Avalon 8' table 2 years ago, which was 3 or 4 tables up from the bottom of their furniture table selection. It's a beautiful table and I've been very pleased with it. Including delivery/setup, Simonis 860 upgrade, and a Centennial kit, I paid around $3500 as I recall.

Gayle in MD
01-24-2005, 01:44 PM
I own a Diamond Pro (9 ft) table. I think you would find a whole range of issues and opinions here if you used the search function. You are in the right place to locate all the answers to your questions. There are many people posting here who are experts in anything regarding pool, including tables.

I bought a Diamond Pro after researching for three months. I am very happy with it. They are good folks to deal with, and it is a great table. Also, it is made in America, and constructed all in one factory. Sometimes you can buy them after an event on auction and save money. You'll never regret owning a Diamond.

It's a tough decision. Feel free to PM me here if you wish.

Good Luck!

Gayle In Md.

djc
01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I just had a new Diamond Pro delivered and set-up on Friday and am very pleased with it.

Paul_Mon
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
You can and should do a google search on the subject for lots of info. My 2 cents is, buy used and get the biggest table that fits without interference. Put a top quality cloth on it and get a good set of balls. Google some more for opinions on cloth and balls.

Paul Mon----Gold Crown table, Simonis cloth, Centenials balls

SnakebyteXX
01-24-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting ready to purchase a pool table for my Rec Room (budget $2,500 -$3,000). What manufacturer makes the best table for my budget?? <hr /></blockquote>

Buying a new table can be worse than buying a new car - the minute you 'drive it off the lot' the value can drop as much as 30 to 40%. New tables often come with a very high mark up.

If you beat the bushes hard enough you will find some fine used tables for between $1000 to $2500. Older Brunswick tables like the Anniversary model or their early Gold Crown series (GC I or II) have a reputation for quality and durability that they've earned through decades of use. They also tend to retain their value because they're highly prized.

With the money you save from buying used you can spend a little to have the table refinished or at a minimum recushioned and recovered.

I bought an old eight foot Anniversary model (circa 1950) for my son for $500 - and an old Brunswick Centennial (circa 1947) for myself for under a grand. The deals are out there but you have to spend the time and effort to find them.

Snake

DickLeonard
01-24-2005, 03:38 PM
I have to go with the used table sitting in the basement from 50 years ago. Pop dies and mommy wants to get rid of the table. First one on the scene gets the bargain.

I gave that advice to a friend and with in a month he called me he had bought an old table for $1200. I had him call Ron Blatt of Blatt Billiards in NYC and ask him how much for a Brunswick Pfister, he told him 32,000, my friend said no thanks and hung up with thhe biggest smile on his face.####

SnakebyteXX
01-24-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
had him call Ron Blatt of Blatt Billiards in NYC and ask him how much for a Brunswick Pfister, he told him 32,000, my friend said no thanks and hung up with thhe biggest smile on his face <hr /></blockquote>

I called around trying to determing the value of my almost sixty year old Centennial - got quotes ranging from $14,000 unrestored to $24,000 restored. Happy days - I had the table restored for a total investment including original purchase price of four grand.

Looks like a dream - Plays like a dream.

Snake

FastJoey
01-24-2005, 10:45 PM
i just had a Olhausen Augusta 9 foot table set up today..has 1 inch slate,Accu fast cushions and 860..the pockets are great ect..very pleased..i am in Chicagoland......

LARRY_BOY
01-25-2005, 03:53 AM
My best advice is to not buy on the internet or tables made in China. Remeber, how your local dealer sets the table up is just as important as who made it.......

JimS
01-25-2005, 05:22 AM
With a low budget you can't afford a Diamond Pro so I'd suggest a used table. You'll get much more bang for your buck. Watch the want ads. If you life in mid Illinois there's one in the Galesburg paper right now.

edknow2
01-25-2005, 05:59 AM
I had not even heard of Diamond before yesterday (obviously I'm new at this)! I checked out their website last night. Everyone seems to have a high regard for Diamond Pro tables but what about their "home series" of tables??

DavidMorris
01-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Diamond Pro's are excellent and will probably be my next table, but I didn't recommend them because they were out of your budget (when new at least).

I wasn't aware Diamond made a "home" table line. Everybody I know of with a Diamond at home has either the Pro model with matching light or the barbox.