PDA

View Full Version : Stroke/ Breaking my wrist

mynis03
01-24-2005, 03:32 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has advice on a problem I have. When I am down in my stroke and go to hit the cue, I generally tend to break my wrist throwing off my shot. I don't do it every time, but enough thatit stops me from making a good run. Thanks for the help. <font color="green"> </font color>

Rod
01-24-2005, 05:25 PM
What do you mean by breaking your wrist? You can play without any wrist motion if you like. Using a three or four finger grip with a bit more grip pressure reduces wrist motion. Just remember, the lower arm leads the wrist going back and forward. Going back the wrist cocks, going forward the wrist releases naturally. Your wrist at c/b contact should be identical as your address position. Flicking your wrist puts it in front of your lower arm and not desirable. Meaning your wrist is leading the shot. It's a severe power loss and most likely inacurate. Generally known as another form of steering.

Rod

woody_968
01-24-2005, 08:47 PM
First off welcome to the board /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Second I will go with Rod and ask for a more detailed description of what you mean by breaking the wrist. By what you have said so far I would guess you mean you are either adding or decreasing the angle of your wrist at impact and moving the tip to the side of the cueball during contact. Basically moving the back of the cue either closer to, or away from your body during the stroke.

If this is the case you might try stoking some shots (with just the cuball at first) and concentrate on maintaining the angle in your wrist that you set at address.

One thing I noticed in your comment is you said when you "hit" the cue. Keep in mind that it is a stroke, and the cueball simply gets in the way. If you are thinking of hitting the cueball then you may tend to tighten the muscles in your arm and that can cause a change from your address position. Work on keeping a consistently light grip preasure all the way through the shot.

Woody