PDA

View Full Version : how to aim these?

yegon
01-25-2005, 02:26 AM
I am currently practicing my shotmaking with balls in the middle portion off the table which allways gave me trouble.

START(
%A_9U2%BV0N8%CY8K5%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg4M5%WD4D0%XY0K2%[D3D1%\U0N4
%]D2[4%^_5U3
)END

I am pretty confident shooting the 3 ball without much conscious aiming - just by feel, but what about the 1 or 2? Should I just shoot them zillion times to get a feel for them or should I consciously look for the contact points on the balls each time using my cue to find them, line them up and shoot this (I call it the mathematical) way?

If I try to go by feel I can not make 30% of them. It is not much better the mathematical way but it gives me a feeling that I am not just banging at them in hopes of something good.

Do you guys shoot these tough (in my opinion) balls by feel or do you grind a little? Do you practice to shoot them by feel too even if you know that you will probably not make them? Do I get better at it if I miss most of the time or do I have to make the balls to get better?

DavidMorris
01-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Are you not familiar with the Ghost Ball aiming method? If visualizing contact points are difficult for you, then you may have better luck with the Ghost Ball. Personally I find the contact point method easier for me to visualize, but GB is I think the most commonly taught method and probably easiest for beginners to grasp. Keep in mind that both methods produce identical results (obviously) but are just different techniques in perspective or visualization, so neither one is "better" than another -- some people just naturally see one easier than the other.

If you need a refresher on the GB method, just ask.

Whichever method you use, the more you play and improve your game, the more these will become "feel" shots and you won't spend more than a fraction of a second thinking about how to aim them.

yegon
01-25-2005, 07:54 AM
I am familiar with the GB method, but I prefer the contact point method because I can visualize it better. The problem is that neither one of these methods works wel for me on these shots. Maybe I just have to be more patient and put my practice time in. Well we will see in a year or so /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
01-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Shots like the 1 & 2 are very easy to miss. All shots for that matter shouldn't be taken lightly. Some shots, like the 1 & 2 need a little extra focus time before you pull the trigger. If you like to call that grinding then yes, I do. Just to make them is one thing, playing position for another ball is yet a different situation.

I think it's essential to make a habit of not rushing any shot. Make it a point to be clear on your objective (pre-shot routine). Do this everytime, visualize the outcome of each shot. In the beginning make it simple but control whitey to a specific area.

Stay down, be solid in your stance, start and finish with a "fluid" un-hurried stroke. Give it some time and don't get frustrated, you will improve. If you catch yourself getting hurried or frustrated, go back and read again. LOL

Rod

BCgirl
01-25-2005, 05:52 PM
If you're practising on your own, then before you take these shots, or other shots you find difficult, take a piece of chalk, and mark the ball positions.

If you are having problems with a particular shot, start with the OB in the same spot, with the CB set up for a straight shot, and progressively increase the cut angle until you become comfortable with the more difficult angles.

It may also help to take a note where the OB goes when you miss, and look at the pattern. Do you always miss to the left or right? Do you miss by a long way? As you work on the shot, your pattern should get tighter and centred on the pocket. This can help to convince you that you're getting closer to the point where you can make the shot consistently.

It's also worth practising on a table with tight pockets, because it promotes consistency.

Also, play with the cleanest set of balls you can find, on the best table you can find, so you're not fighting against bad contacts from chalk dust, and bad table rolls.

Good luck,

BCgirl