PDA

View Full Version : I've Never Gotten This Angry Before...

nhp
01-25-2005, 03:47 AM
I played in a local tournament earlier tonight, I did ok, took 3rd/4th and made $40. My first match I drew a regular player whom I have gambled with before, and have won each time. In tournaments we have beaten each other equally. So tonight the match starts off with me getting some horrible rolls. I didn't get an open shot until the 3rd game, and he missed two or three times each of those racks. Twice I made some good 3 or 4 rail kicks, hit the ball, and the cueball found it's way to a hole. Normally I just take it in stride, but tonight frustration welled up in me. At one point he had me down 4-1 in a race to 7, and I catch a gear and win 4 in a row. Now, on each of the games I won, I was having trouble with the rack. The 1-ball would not freeze to the second balls, even if I pressed on it. I turned the rack upside down, tried different sides, and I even switched racks, but got the same result. This took about 3 minutes, and finally my opponent got up, very angry, and told me that he would rack the balls (the format is rack your own) for me. So he racks them, and the 1 ball is almost a centimeter away from the second ball, and frozen to another one. I point this out, and the throws his hands up in the air and says "Just break the balls!".
I just stared at him for a second, shrugged, and broke the balls as hard as I could. I think about two balls hit the rail, the balls barely separated. I looked at him and said "see what I mean?"

He let me rerack, and I finally got a decent rack. Keep in mind that I was still in stroke at this time, so I break and run down to the 8-ball, in perfect line to get out. My opponent unscrews his cue, and throws a fit. He accused me of slow playing, saying that I got him out of stroke, etc.
In this tournament, if you lose, you have to pay the table time. He was angry because he had to pay $14 in table time, even though the rate was $14 per hour.

When I shoot, I usually take about 20 seconds per shot. I'll survey the table, take 3 or 4 practice strokes, and I execute. The only thing that was making the match take so long was the problem with racking. This guy was taking longer than me to shoot, even from when the match started. So he was yelling at me in front of everyone, and I got angry and yelled back that I didn't get him out of stroke, because when I won 5 in a row he didn't get many opportunities to get back in the match.

I was so angry that it carried over into my next match, and I started out down again, this time me being stuck 4-0, and was able to win 7-5.

In my final match, I was pretty cool, and this match started the same as all of my other matches, me getting bad rolls early on and being stuck heavily. It was 5-1 with me breaking after winning my first game, and I made the 9. The cueball rolled slowly towards the end of the table, kissed off a ball and hung in the corner pocket. A ball that was travelling around the table barely nudged the cueball and it fell, and my opponent ran out. Now my anger and frustration came back, and I could barely conceal it as my opponent ran out. I won 3 more games before I was done, but this consisted of me slamming a chair against a wall after the bumper of my cue hit it when I was shooting a shot off the rail (the chair was right behind me and my cue hit it during my practice stroke). I literally got so angry I wanted to throw the chair across the room, but I just shoved it out of my way and it hit against the wall.

I don't know what got into me, I never get like this when I play pool, I am usually very calm and relaxed and when I make a stupid mistake I just shrug it off. Tonight I felt like breaking my cue. Now I feel bad for acting that way, although at the time I was so steamed I didn't care. Do any of you ever get like this?

Chris Cass
01-25-2005, 05:48 AM
Oh nhp,

Don't think your alone in this. I'll say one thing. It's not going to be a good bight everytime nor do they repeat themselves unless something other than pool is on your mind. You should have tried to keep the first set corrected in your mind and move on. Esier said then done, I know. It can ruin you the next match as even one shot can or one loss.

What's ironic is that sometimes this can happen when your winning. You have to think of what went on the entire day before the match was played. Maybe, from getting out of bed. How many sleep hrs you had and even down to the smallest things.

It might help in understanding what led up to the behavior. I'm no dr nor do I claim to be the mental guru. #### Leonard and Voodoo are my 2. My wife is good for this too as she understands me more than I do myself sometimes. Funny, I'll sometimes ask her what's going on with me. Sure enough, she'll know.

I suggest you let it go and count it as a bad day. Like, wish yoyu never got up and slept the entire day before. When I was young I used to do just that. Get up, and just laid in bed the entire day.

Well, it's off your chest andf your ready to move on. Don't sweat what the other player accused you of. He was probably right but for the wrong reasons is all. Oh, not to bust your bubble. This will happen again only, the next time you'll know how to handle it a bit more maturly. Please forgive me as I mean't no disrespect. I'm 50 yrs old and I still act immature at times. Like a second childhood. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~been there, done that and stayed for the chocolate icecream. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SCCues
01-25-2005, 06:28 AM
I think I would have called it a night if I got as angry as you described. I know you'd be giving up your chance to win the tournament, but you probably wouldn't be playing your normal game if you were that upset. To me pool is my hobby and if I get upset and stop having a good time i'd rather come back another day when i'm in a better frame of mind.

SpiderMan
01-25-2005, 08:32 AM
I've only played one tournament in my life where you were put on the clock while playing. That was back in Memphis at High Pockets. In Dallas, I've never seen the practice used for weekly tournaments (and hope I never do).

For larger events, a greens fee is common, but events of the size you are describing are usually held with free tables unless they're coin-op.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
01-25-2005, 08:46 AM
nhp,

Last night Deewoman and I played in a scotch doubles tournament. This is usually not a good idea!

Anyway, she played great! We were playing a guy who had a sweet young partner that played about three balls better than him. He had aquired a $57.00 Minnesota Fats cue with butt that flashed and blinked when he stroked and tapped the floor with the cue. Cheesey, I know but par for his game.

We broke and missed, they had a good chance to run out but, unfortunatley, he had to shoot every other shot. We come to the table and, surprise of all surprises, Deewoman listens to Deeman (for once), hits 'em all good and we run out. No big deal but...

Thirty seconds later, a shaft flies over the room and strikes me on the wrist on my Rado (I love my Rado). No harm except it could have "put someone's eye out" (my Mom's refrain). I picked up the shaft and met the guy half way across the room and, maybe , just maybe he decided 6'2" and 260 against 5'9" and 170 wet was not good odds. I yelled (I seldom yell, out of bed), "You want this broken, back in your hands or in your A**? His muted reply, "I didn't throw it becuase I was mad at you. I was mad because I broke my stick, Sir."

Deeman, "Why did you break your stick? You missed the
shot(s)!"

Minnesota Fats Player, "I was mad 'cause I slamed my cue down and it broke. I'm sorry!"

Then, other patrons noticed the slime that had once been contained in the butt of this wonder stick had slung all over the room and looked like something out of a John Water's movie close up on people's clothing, sticks and cases.

Now his lady freind, really attractive and a total loss on this frog, starts to cry, some embarrassment but mostly 'cause Tuna Head had "lost" his priceless ($57???) artifact. He had apparently assumed, and convinced her, that Rudolph Wanderone 3 had somehow had some connection with this cue! Maybe he thought Fats had made cues, but even my Dog would understand, if he did, they just might go for more than a subscription to Reader's Digest.

Anyway, what might have been a dull, fun and uneventful evening turned to sorror and shame as the guy mopped the "juice" from various and sundry cues, cases and lady's apparel.

I guess it was just too humorous to make me stay mad or maybe I'm just getting tolerant to bar players.

Deeman
avoided the "Special Sauce" at least....

dtomasi
01-25-2005, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I yelled (I seldom yell, out of bed), "You want this broken, back in your hands or in your A**? His muted reply, <hr /></blockquote>

So, my question is, what stopped Deeman from using the wayward projectile on the offending perp in a manner similar to a proctologist performing an annual exam? Your restraint is admirable.

jjinfla
01-25-2005, 09:58 AM
nhp,

The only logical reason is that you ran out of cowbell.
Jake

Tom_In_Cincy
01-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Spidy,
But, at High Pockets, if you got to the final 4, you got your table time FREE. That was my GOAL when I played there.
Best little (50+players) $5 single elimination tournament I had ever played in, until I played at Airways Billiards in Dayton OH. Great place, great tables, Great Food.

To stay on Topic,
The 70s and part of the 80s.... if I missed or got too many bad rolls, it was cue stick breaking time.... paid my share of house cue costs back then.. bad temper...bad player... I've changed now... just a bad player.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
01-25-2005, 10:56 AM
They must have had it in for me, then. I finished second and had to pay time. That was around 1992. I should have won that night, but the guy switched strings with me. My friends later told me that he posted his bead to my string when I was one up. That made him two up instead of even, ie he stole two games. I'd never used bead strings before, and I wasn't really watching it.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
01-25-2005, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dtomasi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I yelled (I seldom yell, out of bed), "You want this broken, back in your hands or in your A**? His muted reply, <hr /></blockquote>

So, my question is, what stopped Deeman from using the wayward projectile on the offending perp in a manner similar to a proctologist performing an annual exam? <font color="blue"> A Zen like peace that just came over me. </font color> Your restraint is admirable. <font color="blue">O.K. The Valium might have hleped a little... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
01-25-2005, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>

...the slime that had once been contained in the butt of this wonder stick had slung all over the room...
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks.

good thing he didn't have goldfish in there (like the platform shoes from the 70's), they would not have survived.

you memphis boys sure do lead interesting lives /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PQQLK9
01-25-2005, 11:21 AM
A guy here has one of those "floating / flashing / illuminated / 8/9 ball cues incased in slime.
He said it only cost $29.00 at Sports Authority. He was showing it around and someone dropped it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif (I think it survived)
This guy looks just like Earnest from the "hey Vern" commercials (cap and all) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
01-25-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't have any profound advice other then to say, you seem to recognize what happened and I am sure you will do your best to not let that kind of thing happen again. Try to mend fences if you think you may have offended anyone and just move on, it doesn't sound like anything really bad happened.

Deeman2
01-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Tom/Spiderman,

I had the great pleasure of playing at High Pockets off and on for fifteen or more years and never was charged table time! James Strictland was a super guy and had once told me if I won a tournament there (he had a side bet on it) I'd never pay again. I had not taken it as forever...You can imagine my disappointment when I moved back to the states and he was no longer the owner. I also have to say he never charged my step father (Hank Thompson, of Blythville)when he was with me as he had enjoyed watching him play so much over the years.

Is Highpockets not one of the best designed pool halls in the world? Elevated viewing with seating for railbirds, notches along the trim so no cue dudes are needed, plenty of table room, good food, and even better next door (RIBS), nice cue lockers, clean restrooms, two separate action rooms with tight than tight pockets and old farts hanging around to see who we would play. I'm getting moist.....

Deeman

Rod
01-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Better nip this in the bud real quick. What ever you do don't let this sort of thing creep into your game. Yes you got some bad rolls and it was frustrating. $hit happens, let it go, we've all had bad days. If you think you owe someone an apology, do so.

That part of balls not freezing is a sore spot with me as well. It usually goes back to worn out balls, cloth, foot spot, etc. Not much you can do other than turn the balls in the rack and hope. LOL It's a pain and frustrating. I usually show my appreciation by telling the owner or not frequenting the place.

Rod