PDA

View Full Version : Business owner and tough rules

eg8r
01-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Tough business owner (http://www.wral.com/news/4126577/detail.html)

The owner has decided that he does not want to pay for the added healthcare that comes along with smokers. Fair enough. I have not read any research on this issue but I don't think it is too much to believe that a smoker would have some more health issues than a non-smoker. Anyways, he is firing people who smoke, and refuses to higher <font color="blue"> (Spelling correction: should be hire. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Embarassing, but I will leave the screw up in there, it is kind of funny now.) </font color> smokers. How long do you think he can continue before someone steps up and sues?

eg8r

SpiderMan
01-25-2005, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Tough business owner (http://www.wral.com/news/4126577/detail.html)

The owner has decided that he does not want to pay for the added healthcare that comes along with smokers. Fair enough. I have not read any research on this issue but I don't think it is too much to believe that a smoker would have some more health issues than a non-smoker. Anyways, he is firing people who smoke, and refuses to higher smokers. How long do you think he can continue before someone steps up and sues?
eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Have young males been successful in suits against auto insurers who won't take them on?

SpiderMan

wolfdancer
01-25-2005, 11:05 AM
".. have not read any research on this issue but I don't think it is too much to believe that a smoker would have some more health issues than a non-smoker"

DUH

Barbara
01-25-2005, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I have not read any research on this issue but I don't think it is too much to believe that a smoker would have some more health issues than a non-smoker. Anyways, he is firing people who smoke, and refuses to higher smokers. How long do you think he can continue before someone steps up and sues?

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

This could get real ugly. How about if a smoker points out a fellow non-smoking employee who frequents smoky bars? What if the smoker smokes less than 5 cigarettes a day but the non-smoker goes to a smoky bar every night, and inhales what turns out to be a pack of cigarette smoke?

So make the smoker make up the difference out of his pocket for healthcare. That would be a real wakeup call.

Barbara

stickman
01-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I'd be surprised if someone doesn't sue. This could open the door to all sorts of things. They could decide that they also want to fire employees that ride motorcycles, drink alcohol, over-eaters, or any number of things.

eg8r
01-25-2005, 12:07 PM
I am not sure, but I would think auto insurers would have bit more disposable income and keep the young males locked up in court much longer than this one business owner could do. Kind of like saying you need $200 bucks to pay the electric bill, would you walk up to a lesser skilled player to gamble, or would you go to the top dog?

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I'd be surprised if someone doesn't sue. This could open the door to all sorts of things. They could decide that they also want to fire employees that ride motorcycles, drink alcohol, over-eaters, or any number of things. <hr /></blockquote>

and fat people

wolfdancer
01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
"refuses to higher smokers"...what is he refusing?, and how high can you get anyway on just cigarette smoke?
And then we segue, to your scenario....the non-smoker, that frequents smoking bars, and is spied on my his fellow, only 5 fags a day, employee.........it's mind-boggling, but a great plot for a future John Grisham ...trial by jury....novel.
Most non-smokers that I know, can't stand the putrified air, in a smoking bar....but the damage may have already been done...a recent study has shown that second-hand smoke may lower the IQ of infants exposed to it. Fortunately my Mom did not smoke, I think the brain damage occurred as the result of a forceps assisted, breech birth.
But the real problem....will there be mass suicides by Philadelphians, when the team is exposed and deposed, in the Super Bowl?

stickman
01-25-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't know how the risks of smokers and the over-weight compare, but the health risks of being over-weight is high.

stickman
01-25-2005, 12:26 PM
I bet a dollar the business owner is a former smoker, he quit, and is out to save the world of smokers. HaHa The most radical ones are always the former smokers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
01-25-2005, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>will there be mass suicides by Philadelphians, when the team is exposed and deposed, in the Super Bowl?

<hr /></blockquote>

At least they made it there after 3 failed tries to win the Conference Division.

Joke time:
Question: What do you call 75 men watching the Super Bowl on TV?

Answer: The New York Giants. (or insert your least favorite team name here)

wolfdancer
01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
"What do you call 75 men watching the Super Bowl on TV"

LOL....if only my niners hadn't lost all them games....but we had around 10 good years, and two HoF Q'backs.
Actually, I think this game could go either way...great matchup
...and if T.O. can play????????
and to think they trained on Campbell's soup.......