PDA

View Full Version : 10 ft. table Champs vs. 9-footers; who is better?

LeftyIke
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
If tournaments were played on 10 foot tables, like in the old days, would todays players beat the old-timers(Mosconi,Greenleaf,Crane)? What is better about Effren Reyes game, that would make him better than Mosconi, Lassiter,Sigel, Strickland,Boston Shorty, and such?

Chris Cass
01-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi LeftyIke,

I'm puzzled as to your question. I don't think the table would make much difference when all the players you've mentioned get used to the equipment. There's no masking tallent and if you've got it then, it'll show on a 3X5 table.

Regards,

C.C.~~Table Management and Seating Coordinator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LeftyIke
01-25-2005, 11:11 AM
I used to see the serious One-Pocket players shoot on the 10-footers, that they called the "Big-Track", and they felt that it separated the"men from the boys"! they said that you had more room, but more distance; thus making it a different game. Many of them called "one-foul-ball-in-hand" 9-ball, a "sissy" game that anybody could win if they could run four or five balls! I have been told that Effren's ability to control the cue, shotmaking ability,KICKING ABILITY, and THE SKILL TO HIDE YOU IN JAIL, made him better than Mosconi and all the rest! Do you agree?

DickLeonard
01-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Lefty I don't think he could beat Lassiter or Harold Worst playing nineball. Whimpy was playing for 5 thousand a set in the 40s in Norfolk, in todays market Efren would have to be playing for 100 thousand for the money to be equal.

The one thing Lassiter did was diminish his opponents game.####