PDA

View Full Version : The Firefox Explosion

SnakebyteXX
01-25-2005, 10:52 AM
For Rob Davis, the final straw came during a beautiful weekend last summer, which he spent holed up in his Minneapolis apartment killing a zombie. The week before, a malicious software program had invaded Davis' PC through his browser, Internet Explorer, using a technique called the DSO exploit. His computer had been repurposed as a "zombie box" - its CPU and bandwidth co-opted to pump reams of spam onto the Internet. Furious, Davis dropped out of a planned Lake Superior camping trip to instead back up his computer and reformat his crippled hard drive. Then he vowed never to open IE again.

Lucky for Davis, a new browser had just appeared on the scene - Firefox, a fast, simple, and secure piece of software that was winning acclaim from others who also had grown frustrated with Internet Explorer. A programmer friend told Davis about Firefox. He didn't know that the browser was an open source project and a descendant of Netscape Navigator now poised to avenge Netscape's defeat at the hands of Microsoft. He just knew that he didn't want to waste another weekend cursing at his machine. So Davis drove to the friend's house and copied Firefox onto his battered laptop. He hasn't had a problem since - and now he's telling anybody who will listen about Firefox's virtues. "I'm no anti-Microsoft zealot, but it's unconscionable that they make 98 percent of the operating systems in the world and they let things like this happen to people," says Davis, a PR man by day who liked Firefox so much that he initiated a fundraising campaign to help promote the browser. "There's a lot of pain out there."

Firefox couldn't have arrived at a better time for people like Davis - or at a worse time for Microsoft. Ever since Internet Explorer toppled Netscape in 1998, browser innovation has been more or less limited to pop-up ads, spyware, and viruses. Over the past six years, IE has become a third world bus depot, the gathering point for a crush of hawkers, con artists, and pickpockets. The recent outbreak of malware - from the spyware on Davis' machine to the .ject Trojan, which uses a bug in IE to snatch sensitive data from an infected PC - has prompted early adopters to look for an alternate Web browser. Even in beta, Firefox's clean, intuitive interface, quick page-loading, and ability to elude intruders elicited a thunderous response. In the month following its official November launch, more than 10 million people downloaded Firefox, taking the first noticeable bite out of IE's market share since the browser wars of the mid-'90s.

More here:

The Firefox Explosion (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.02/firefox.html?tw=wn_tophead_4)

wolfdancer
01-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Snake, I switched a few weeks back...just read the other day, that the "genius" behind Firefox is all of 19 yrs old....and he interned at Sun, when he was only 15.

DavidMorris
01-25-2005, 11:03 AM
I highly recommend Firefox (for those who haven't already heard me say so). There are a very very few sites that require IE whether due to shortsightedness or sloppy coding and design, but the majority work fine with Firefox. One of the many neat plug-ins for Firefox is one that allows you to right-click on a webpage and select "View in IE" -- handy for when you do come upon a site that doesn't work well with Firefox.

SnakebyteXX
01-25-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend Firefox <hr /></blockquote>

So do I. I switched a couple of months ago. My only difficulty was in setting up Firefox to resemble my IE environment. That was just a learning curve issue.

Firefox is great. So is Opera (http://www.opera.com/) (although Opera is somewhat more powerful and a little more difficult to master - and it's not free). I also use a small program called " Netcaptor (http://www.netcaptor.com/) " that I like very much. NetCaptor allows me to set up groups of web sites that I visit regularly and open them all at once. Instead of stacking the sites on the toolbar like IE or Firefox, NetCaptor runs tabs across the bottom of the screen. Tabs make it very easy to quickly switch between sites. Of course, it helps to have a high speed connect to make it all go smoothly.

Snake

nAz
01-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Ya its a pretty good Browser I have been using it and the many beta versions before it. it has it's ups and down though, Some web sites won't work right with FireFox, IE add-ins Wont Work (like tool bars) and it loads slower than Internet Explorer.
still it does not have all the security problems IE is plagued with and it looks much cooler IMO then IE also it opens most web pages way faster then IE.
Sure Looks to me like MS gave up on improving IE after they won the "browser wars" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hey you should try K-meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/) its a lite Web browser based on gecko, the same rendring engine used on mozilla and run much faster the FF.