PDA

View Full Version : My first league safety!

Billy_Bob
01-25-2005, 11:40 AM
I shot my first safety in my league play last night (8-ball), recognized that it was a good situation for a safety, knew I could shoot the safety properly because I have been practicing them, and played the safety fairly well with a half ball hit.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/

Before...

START(
%Ae6D5%CG3P0%HR8D6%Pg8R7%Wf6F3%Xg6Q8

)END

After...

START(
%Ac4D9%CG3P0%HR8D8%Ph5E3

)END

Then he was able to kick and hit the 8 leaving me like this...

START(
%Ac4D9%CG3P0%Hk4U9%Pa3D2

)END

At this point I was still basking in the glory of my safety shot and was not thinking clearly (bad - thought no one could get me now). Anyway I tried to cut the 3 into the corner (without first using my cue to find the aiming point on the OB as I usually do) and missed. Then he shot in the 8 and won.

I suppose I should have shot another safety. (I now see that I might have been able to gently bump the 1 leaving the cue ball behind it, but I have not practiced these, so probably would have botched it. I'll practice them now.)

Any suggestions for this situation?

bluey2king
01-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey Billy Bob
Great play. One thing I have noticed in leauge play is alot of players get inpatient on safety play. The idea in my head is to get the advantage from my safety. Lots of times when you play the safety a good one they play one back..right. Well you must stay the course untill you get the advantage you need. If you have more balls on the table you have more troops use them. I am not an expert still learning myself. The fact that you rememberd the course of events and took the time to post them tells me it will be a long time before you forget this lesson!!
Bluey2King

Wally_in_Cincy
01-25-2005, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I suppose I should have shot another safety. (I now see that I might have been able to gently bump the 1 leaving the cue ball behind it, <hr /></blockquote>

You need a really good touch to pull that one off but it can be done.

I think you have to go for the out there. Or maybe send the cb down table leaving him a bank

START(
%Ac4E3%CG3P0%Hk4U9%Pa3D2%_n8D3%`g7C7%ac8D3

)END

I don't know. I'm just a crappy league player.

Rod
01-25-2005, 12:55 PM
I'll assume since this is your first safe, running out wasn't likely. Actually the second safe behind the one is actually easier that your first safe. Here is why, you had to count on the c/b rolling straight, with the right speed, to hit appx 1/2 ball on your first shot. Believe me on some tables, especially bar boxes, you never know.

Practice that little tap safety, it's a very valuable shot and it's easy. You could have sent the c/b to the bottom rail but that wasn't the shot. Should your opponent hit the 8 and leave it closer to that pocket though, your in deep doo doo because you won't have a good shot. It's really better to get out from there, but if you feel it's above your head then the safe is a better option.

Rod

Ives
01-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Nice job on the safety, tough call when your opponents on the 8 and you have 2 balls left to make. I'm still learning this game so if my next comment is way off, forgive me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif but after your opponents kick at the 8, instead of going for the cut shot on the 3 ball couldn't you have cut the 1 ball in and come down table for an easier shot on the 3 with an easy setup for the 8. By your table layout it looks like the 1 goes in alot easier than the 3. Some thing like this.

START(
%Ac4D9%CG3P0%Hk4U9%Pa3D2%U^3Z6%Va2E1%Wb6E0%Xa5D5%]s0C6%^d2E1
%_M6G4%`R7M6%a\9[0
)END

Billy_Bob
01-25-2005, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> instead of going for the cut shot on the 3 ball couldn't you have cut the 1 ball in and come down table for an easier shot on the 3 with an easy setup for the 8. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. If I was just playing for fun, that's what I would have done. I can easily make those shots. I was worried about sending the cue ball flying and scratching though. I'm also working on where the cue ball goes after a shot, but I'm not confident enough yet to know for sure where the cue ball would have gone after the hit. I'll practice that shot too though and try figuring out before hand where the cue ball will end up (trying different english/speed).