PDA

View Full Version : Derby City Photos-final version

BillPorter
01-25-2005, 02:08 PM
I posted some photos taken at the Derby City a few days ago. I just uploaded several more after doing some photo editing on them. There are now 28 photos in the gallery. Hope you enjoy them! BTW, if you have any suggestions for better captions or ways to improve the photos, I'll be happy to hear them.

Derby City Classic Photos (http://billporter.smugmug.com/gallery/362924/1)

BillPorter
01-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I should have said that you need to click on the thumbnail images to get them to expand.

SpiderMan
01-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Did any women even try to compete?

SpiderMan

nhp
01-25-2005, 04:34 PM
What were Parica and Strickland arguing about? I know that Parica really doesn't like Earl.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-26-2005, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Did any women even try to compete?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know. If there were women competing they were not pros. The WPBA told their members they were not allowed to compete this year.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Bill,
I added a comment to the only Black and White photo..

BillPorter
01-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Tom, thanks for the information about the player in the photo. The original was a color shot, but I thought the photo looked better in B&amp;W.

DickLeonard
01-28-2005, 06:43 AM
Tom this is when Pool becomes Art.####

Tom_In_Cincy
01-28-2005, 09:54 AM
###, I agree. This was the one Picture that caught my attention immediately. Plus, I've known the person for about 14 years.

Bill took some great pictures and the quality is fantastic.

Bob_Jewett
01-28-2005, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Did any women even try to compete? <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, several women were entered, but not the top pros.

johnnyt
01-28-2005, 03:54 PM
What reason did the WPBA give for not letting them play in it?
Johnnyt

Bob_Jewett
01-28-2005, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johnnyt:</font><hr> What reason did the WPBA give for not letting them play in it? <hr /></blockquote>
I didn't hear any official reason, as I'm not a member, but that's not going to keep me from spreading rumors....

Derby City doesn't have the image that the WPBA is trying to project. It's crowds, and chaos, and gambling, and continuous action, and occasionally crude behavior -- hey, a three ring circus has elephant poop you have to look out for.

I also heard that the WPA asked the male players not to attend because the event is not WPA-sanctioned, but I didn't see the message.

ChuckR
01-28-2005, 05:39 PM
What the heck are those things on the fingers of Earl's bridge hand? Looks like splints and bandages!! Must be something new for bridges.

Fasteddy7
01-29-2005, 09:49 AM
in Jose and Earl_2 I think earl forgot which finger to use to say what he meant

Deeman2
01-29-2005, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> What the heck are those things on the fingers of Earl's bridge hand? Looks like splints and bandages!! Must be something new for bridges. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> ChuckR,

Those are Earl's custom "finger Extensions" sort of a mechanical bridge for the hand. I think he first used them at the World's Championship a couple of years ago but I may be wrong. As far as I know they are legal. Some kinda thought it was Earl's swipe at jump cues but he may have just thought they were a good idea. For grins only I tried a couple of coin sleeves at home but they seemed kinda unsteady at best. I've been blessed with long fingers so maybe they are more valuable for stubbies. </font color>

Deeman

BillPorter
01-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Tom I really appreciate your compliments! As I do those of DickLeonard. My friend Mike Haines took some of the photos in the gallery. We both worked hard to get a few photos that some "pool nuts" such as ourselves might enjoy seeing and downloading.

Are you likely to be in the Cincinnati area any time in the near future?

Tom_In_Cincy
01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Bill,
I might be in Cincy in Sept. On the way to the US Open in VA.
Other than that, I don't have any plans on going back to Cincy anytime sooner.

RUNaRAK
02-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Bill,
Those are some great pictures. I took many at the Derby as well and will post them as soon as I download them from my camera and get them edited.
Thanks for sharing.

Joe Koontz