PDA

View Full Version : In general terms, which players are more skilled?

Nightstalker
01-25-2005, 05:09 PM
I am asking for your personal opinions based on your experience. Thank you.

Popcorn
01-25-2005, 05:15 PM
This matters?

Nightstalker
01-25-2005, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> This matters? <hr /></blockquote>

I am just asking for opinions.

Rich R.
01-26-2005, 04:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> I am asking for your personal opinions based on your experience. Thank you. <hr /></blockquote>
I voted, but to a very large extent, I believe the league with the better players will vary, depending on your physical location and the popularity of each league in your area.
For example, in my area, the APA has a very strong presence, the BCA has a minimum presence and, to the best of my knowledge, the ACS and VNEA are non-existent. TAP, which you did not mention, is growing, but still no where near the size of the APA leagues, in my area.

GeraldG
01-26-2005, 05:05 AM
I'm not going to vote because there are only two choices. What happened to "about the same"? And I really don't know what could possibly be gained from this poll.

dg-in-centralpa
01-26-2005, 06:02 AM
I can't vote because where I live the only one we have is APA and all the strong players in our county don't play it. We have two independent leagues where everyone plays.

DG - jmho

Perk
01-26-2005, 06:48 AM
IMO, the answer comes from their system. Since a team in the APA can only have a rating of 23 or lower, you wont find strong teams all the way through. A team with 2 7's is hard to find. In the BCA, the end result is a national tourney that throws out the handicaps. In my area, it is definately the BCA that has some strong players. There are not many that will play in APA around here, including myself. I would prefer being able to play on a team with my friends, all of which play strong. So we cant team up in APA.

GeraldG
01-26-2005, 07:26 AM
You know, after thinking about this a little, I think you are really comparing apples to oranges here. I think the APA's mission is a little different than the BCA's. The APA was designed to give beginning and weaker players a format in which they could compete and was never intended or designed for stronger players. There are some very strong players in APA, but I don't think most of them are really there for the competition as much as they are there because they enjoy helping lower ranked players develop. So, to answer your question, there are very likely many more A or AA level players in BCA than in APA across the country. In some areas, there will be more strong players in APA because the BCA presence just isn't there. But I don't really think that comparing the average skill level of the two is really valid because they have different missions.

Nightstalker
01-27-2005, 09:06 PM
So there are more strong players in the BCA than APA evidently. Well a friend of mine was disagreeing with me hence the poll. Thanks, the results tell me what I felt was more accurate.

Fred Agnir
01-28-2005, 07:05 AM
I think the question needs to be turned around. Which league allows lesser skilled players to have a fighting chance?

And for those that don't know, there is no set league format for BCA as far as the individual leagues go. There is a suggested format, but the individual leagues can play and handicap however they want. They can even play APA handicapping if they want.

And, to answer my own turned around question, the APA allows lesser skilled players to continue and have fun. The suggested BCA format allows teams that have lesser skilled players a chance to win, but the individual lesser skilled player will consistently lose. It's the ability to win what keeps players in the league. If they keep losing, the lesser players get weeded out of the BCA-suggested format, unfortunately.

Both leagues can have the strong players.

Fred

Nightstalker
01-28-2005, 05:14 PM
I agree with you on those points Fred, however, I feel that the APA system does tend to create some players who feel as though winning with their handicap makes them a better player than they are. Not that that in itself is a huge problem, but they may struggle outside of the league format or when they perhaps change to a league which does not feature the equalizer system. Oh well, different leagues for different kinds of players.