PDA

View Full Version : In defense of Earl..............

Tommy_Davidson
05-28-2002, 12:41 AM
> A lot of people are constantly ranting about Earl Strickland's mannerisms,such as complaining about the tables,the rolls,his opponents,and his own play. His antics may not be popular with a large percentage of the public,or the BCA for that matter. Earl's behavior,I feel,comes from a deep-seated contempt for losing,and the inability or unwillingness to accept anything less than perfection,which we all have from time to time. The man has raised the skill level present in pro tournaments probably close to 30 percent over his career,which is due to his incredible gift for this game. CJ Wiley once said that the only player that can take the game to a new level all by himself is Earl,because he's already done it twice,popularizing the offensive jump shot,and the hand-forward "big" break. A lot of people wonder why he is bitter about where the game is at the present time. Look at it like this,if you had literally poured yourself into any endeavor like he has,and to not have a way to pursue it,you would be bitter too. How about this fact;Earl has become the highest paid player in the sport,without graduating high school. How many people make something of themselves like he has without graduating? Sure,he acts like a little kid at times,but if you had the talent he has,the skills he has,and the ego he has you would be bent out of shape too when things didn't go your way. I think that people need to pay closer attention to what he does at the table,and leave his behavioral issues alone. Tommy D.

Rich R.
05-28-2002, 05:38 AM
Tommy, I can accept that Earl has a "deap-seated contempt for losing, and the inability or unwillingness to accept anything less than perfection". I can also appreciate his level of skill and dedication to the game. However, none of this is an excuse for his childish behavior. The fact of the matter is that one, out of two, players in a 9-ball match is going to lose. At times he will be that player and he should get used to that idea.
Earl's behavior would not have been tolerated in the dingy, basement level pool hall I worked in over 30 years ago and I'm sure his behavior would not be welcome in most local pool halls of today. Earl's behavior certainly should not be accepted in national and/or international tournaments.
I have been to tournaments, where out of a field of 64 players, Earl was the only one seen thowing tantrums and knocking balls off of tables. What mayhem would we have if the other 63 players followed Earl's lead.
There is no excuse for Earl's behavior and it should not be tolerated.
If you think Earl is a valuable asset of the game now, just think what a valuable asset he could be if he could control himself.
JMHO. Rich R.

Doctor_D
05-28-2002, 06:00 AM
Good morning:

This type of behavior, regardless of the source and/or the "reason" is totally inexcusable - period!

We do not tolerate temper tantrums by children, we should not tolerate them from adult children.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Thanks Tommy,
I agree with your insights about Earl.

Earl hasn't done anything that hasn't been done before the majority of Pool Players. Proper or not, emotional outbursts are always detrimental to a persons character.

Some of us are capable of looking past that and seeing the player and the performance.

If you can play as good as Earl and not throw a tantrum.. Please step up and identify yourself... No one here in CCB is in that category.. Not that I am aware of anyway.

Nostroke
05-28-2002, 08:28 AM
I can understand Earl's temper and even the lame excuses he comes up with for losing, but when you admonish the crowd for cheering for a "foreigner" you are clearly an ignorant jerk-plain and simple!

05-29-2002, 02:17 AM
Before we talk about behavior we might give thought that Earl might be suffering from something deeper than bad manners. Could it be neurological? Having worked with children and young people who suffer from tourette syndrome and obsessive compulsive behavior I see the similarity in Earl. These people have "tics" or impulses that throw them out of whack and make people think it is due to something Psychological. I have watched Earl for some time. Look at the tapes from Reno where he flaps his arms like a bird. Where he constantly blows on his fingers. These could be tics. Many of you have heard of people who have to cuss. Well tourette is not only limited to that. And telling people to just stop it just frustrates them further because they cant! There is no cure for this. It is one of the mysteries of the mind. Only drugs have been developed but all it does is put you out. Oddly enough tourettes does not appear in sleep. And taking these drugs is anathema to a sportsman like Earl. I suggest Earl see a neurologist and maybe we can try to show some compassion for someone who might just be sick. I know that many of you out there who have kids have seen this kinds of behavior in your childrens class mates. Some of the lucky ones grow out of it with aging as the chemicals in the brain seem to balance itself. Im not a doctor but I also am a tourette sufferer. And feel bad about some of the people who I might have offended because of my "tics".

Rich R.
05-29-2002, 04:28 AM
Keone, I'm sure you know much more about tourette syndrome than I, but from what little I do know compared to what I've seen, I do not believe that Earl has that desease. I may be wrong, but I believe it is simply a case of huge ego combined with bad behavior, with a little psychological problem thrown in for good measure. JMHO.
If it is a physiological problem, I would be the first to apologize to Earl.
Rich R.

06-05-2002, 05:19 PM
You wrote: ***I think that people need to pay closer attention to what he does at the table,and leave his behavioral issues alone***.

Pardon my candidness, but that's a crock and a cop-out. Earl is indeed talented and skilled, and no one can deny that. I (and I'm sure others) will concede all day long that he is an extremely talented player. But that's all he is.

Being a champion involves more than just a skill set; it's also displaying admirable sportsmanship and having respect for your opponents, and for acting like a professional. It's the total package. Having talent and acting professionally are not mutually exclusive of one another--you can actually do both. Earl simply chooses not to.

To me (and many), he does not meet the standard of being considered a professional or a champion.

If he has, as you say, a contempt for losing, he could choose to approach it by continually striving to improve his game and by contributing to the improvement of the sport as a whole. Instead, he approaches it as a way to tear others down.

Respect is earned, and it's earned by the sum of one's actions. Not just skill, not just behavior, but everything. If skill is all he brings to the table, he will be found lacking. I can think of 20 other people who are also gifted at pool who I would truly consider champions before Earl would come to mind.

06-14-2002, 12:32 AM
I feel that Earl has earned his stripes in this game ,but he does have a temper ,I can only imagine what it would be like if he starts gambling again''''''HE WILL BE A FORCE TO BE REKIN WITH ''''I THINK SO DON'T U BEST REGARDS TO TOMMY_D. $$$$ JASON LAURIA $$$$

Cueless Joey
06-14-2002, 01:41 AM
Earl shows no respect for his peers, tournament officials AND the audience. Is this excusable? Earl turning around to the people whom Efren lived with because they were cheering for Efren and mutters to them, "Why are you cheering for him? I am the white guy here." Earl is heard screaming on top of his voice to an official while Efren and Rempe are playing the semis of the last PBT straight pool tourney in Maine. Earl THREATENING Parica, pointing to his face and saying "I'm gonna kick your a%% during the Denver Open in '97.
I wonder what we would say if Allison behaved like Earl. God forbid.

Mr Ingrate
06-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Earl IS getting the respect he deserves.

Drake
06-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Why Earl is Good for the game?? It can be argued that he might be the best nine ball player ever. He is NOT boring to watch. He brings a lot of character to the game. He feels that all equipment should be equal.
Why Earl is Bad for the game?? He is always complaining about something. He is the definition of Bad Sportsman. His actions support why pool can not be marketed as a family game.

06-14-2002, 03:27 PM
He used to come to my room (Rotten Rodney's) in Roanoke Va. at least twice a year to do exhibtitions. He put on a good show and couldn't have been nicer to the fans. And after he married that pretty little blond, I got a Christmas card from them every year!

His bad-boy image is prolly good for pool. He brings instant excitement. Like Mackenroe(sp?)did for Tennis.