PDA

View Full Version : New Ordinance in Ocala, Florida

jjinfla
01-26-2005, 07:43 AM
The county commissioners here in Ocala have passed a new ordinance that is not setting well with the pool hall owners here.

Any establishment that serves alcohol will now be prevented (by law) from allowing people under 21 to enter the place.

This was aimed at Rave bars and nightclubs but it also applies to the pool rooms. Restaurants have been given an exception and can allow minors in although they also serve alcohol.

They already have a law prohibiting sales to people under 21, now they don't even want them in the place.

It sure will put a hurt in tournament play. Many players are under 21.

Can you imagine if they did this in the world of golf and because of this law they prevented Wei from participating. Every golf course I have been at serves alcohol.

Jake

GeraldG
01-26-2005, 08:05 AM
That sounds a little over-the-top to me.

eg8r
01-26-2005, 09:09 AM
That sucks. I know you don't want this to get political but once you give government a little bit, they take a lot. Is there a movement among the ph owners to get a petition going around? Are they looking into getting the same exemption as the restaurants?

eg8r

Rich R.
01-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Jake, do you know if there would be an exception, if the minor was accompanied by a parent?

It seems to me that a parent should be able to take their own child to a poolhall.

Rich R.
01-26-2005, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> That sucks. I know you don't want this to get political but once you give government a little bit, they take a lot. <hr /></blockquote>
It seems to me, that this is just one more move by the conservative right, to take freedom of choice away from the people.

Popcorn
01-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Florida once had a law that said you could not be is a pool room if you were not 21 booze or no booze. With the restaurant exception it is obviously discrimintory but it will take a little money to fight something like this. Maybe the ACLU can get involved but either way the law would be unconstutional. Even one challenge would put the enforcement on hold until a higher court took a look at it. I have no doubt it would be struck down. Pool rooms could easily get a hardship exception at least as to when the law could be enforced. Several years would not be unusual. Just look at some of the attempts to regulate the adult industry. It is tough for local government to pass laws aimed at one particular group. In this case if they have admitted they are aiming at the Rave clubs they may already have sunk themselves. Local politicians are not knows for being too bright. By the way, the old laws Fla used to have regarding pool rooms got changed by the challenge of one small pool room owner.

bigshooter
01-26-2005, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> That sucks. I know you don't want this to get political but once you give government a little bit, they take a lot. <hr /></blockquote>
It seems to me, that this is just one more move by the conservative right, to take freedom of choice away from the people. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm part of the conservative right and I don't agree with the law, don't be so paranoid.

bigshooter
01-26-2005, 10:51 AM
In Tulsa minors can be present if you only serve beer but not if you serve liquor but if your "bar area" is seperate from the rest of the establishment minors can be in there as long as they don't enter the "bar area" which sometimes just consists of a roped off area seperating the bar from the other areas of the room.

tateuts
01-26-2005, 10:59 AM
It sounds like they are mirroring the law in California, which has been this way for many years.

Chris

eg8r
01-26-2005, 11:00 AM
I am not sure he is looking for this to be a political thread but if you would, make it a new thread on the non-pool related.

eg8r

Lanny
01-26-2005, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>It seems to me, that this is just one more move by the conservative right, to take freedom of choice away from the people. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't you mean the liberal left?They're the ones that want to take away my right to own a firearm,to smoke and keep what I earn.

Lanny

Annoy a liberal....work hard,be self-sufficient and happy.

jjinfla
01-26-2005, 02:54 PM
I am sure the lawyers will contest this.
Just think, the soldiers home on leave from Iraq can't go in the pool room and play pool yet they can go to a foreign land and give up their life fighting for freedom here.

It's not that the minors were drinking. They were not. Only playing pool. And drinking soda. And many parents bring their kids there to play.

I guess none of the commisioners play pool.

Jake

PQQLK9
01-29-2005, 06:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lanny:</font><hr> [They're the ones that want to take away my right to own a firearm,to smoke and keep what I earn.<hr /></blockquote>
http://www.sick-humor.com/files/picture/54048944.jpg
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

GeraldG
01-29-2005, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I am sure the lawyers will contest this.
Just think, the soldiers home on leave from Iraq can't go in the pool room and play pool yet they can go to a foreign land and give up their life fighting for freedom here.

It's not that the minors were drinking. They were not. Only playing pool. And drinking soda. And many parents bring their kids there to play.

I guess none of the commisioners play pool.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

This strikes me as an effort to legislate morality. For some reason people see poolhalls as "dens of iniquity", therefore they must protect the youth from it. Unfortunately, they don't often bother to verify that there's really a problem before they pass more laws.

I'm sure there are already plenty of laws in place to keep minors from consuming alcohol. What would be wrong with simply enforcing the laws you already have? If a pool hall owner serves alcohol to a minor, shut him down. There's no reason to punish the kids that just want to play. It like a pre-emptive punishment...punish them now because they MAY do this later.

jjinfla
01-29-2005, 07:00 PM
You make too much sense Jerry.

Jake

GeraldG
01-29-2005, 07:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> You make too much sense Jerry.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

It's not intentional, I promise. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif