PDA

View Full Version : When a top player leaves you an easy shot...

Billy_Bob
01-26-2005, 09:55 AM
As I learn more about safeties and pool, I'm suddenly realizing that when top players leave me an easy shot at one of my balls (8-ball), there is a reason. They want that ball moved and moving it will be to their advantage.

I was playing one such player the other day and early in the game, he left me an easy shot at one of my balls. So I get down to shoot it, then look... I notice that my ball is blocking the path of the 8-ball. (This guy is thinking way ahead.) If I shoot it in, he can continue his runout and then have a clear path to get the 8 in. So I leave it where it is and try an impossible shot and miss. The other guy does not look happy. As it turned out, my not shooting in that ball messed up his whole plan and I won.

I'm just wondering how many times in the past I have been left with easy shots at my balls by these sharks and not realized what they were doing. (Or trying to get me to do.)

Now I'm looking ahead in the game all the way to the 8-ball, so I see these things. Before I was just looking ahead a few balls. I guess it really pays to look ahead all the way to the last ball.

Popcorn
01-26-2005, 10:13 AM
When you get the table you are in control. You make your own decisions. A player may try to trick you or trap you into doing something, it happens in one pocket all the time, but you have to recognize what is happening and do what benefits you.

PQQLK9
01-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Popcorn is right. To quote Willie Joplin from his book on Pocket Billiards ...

> "Don't you get Trapped ... You be the Trapper!

DavidMorris
01-26-2005, 11:35 AM
That is a pretty common tactic, but obviously only useful when the other shooter is considered incapable of running out, whether due to lesser skill or cluster problems. If they leave you such an easy shot and then you proceed to run out, then it backfires on them. Try THAT next time and see his reaction. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif