PDA

View Full Version : Online Value Guide

Johnny_V
01-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Because I am having a hell of a time trying to track down the value of one of my Joss cues I came up with an idea for a web site. I would need the assistance of many people including some of you cue collectors and makers. It would be like the blue book of cues except online. The problem that I have is I do not have pictures of, or access to, a lot of the high end cues. That is where you collectors would come in. I think something like this would be invaluable to a collector or even someone that would like to drool over some of the nice cues out there. With some of this information I could develop an online cue appraiser that would allow you to put in the specs of a manufacturer, types of wood and special feature and have it compare against a database of cues from that manufacturer and come up with a ball park value.

So what do you say? I think with a little bit of work we could come up with an awesome site. Who wants to chip in?

JV

Popcorn
01-26-2005, 01:09 PM
The value of cues is very subjective. Like with anything actual recent sales may be a little bit of a barometer but not really. You can take the price of a new cue by the same maker and use it as a starting point. Some cues go up in value and some are worth a percentage of what it would be to replace the cue today. Even the Blue book if it ever comes out again is not very good at telling what a cue is worth. There are sites that have a lot of nice high end cues on display such as http://www.wuscues.com.

tateuts
01-26-2005, 01:57 PM
I would like to see a site up where members post photos and help with cue identification. A-Z billiards has a section which is pretty useful. A lot of helpful dealers and collectors frequent those places.

The best way to determine a value of a cue is to sell it. A no reserve auction on E-Bay with an honest description, as much information as you can give, and some good, clear, supersizeable photos will pretty much return what your cue is worth, give or take 20%, on any given day.

You can also register on E-Bay to specifically watch all listings, for Joss Cues for example, and they will e-mail you with new listings. You can track them and see what they're going for. In "advanced search" you can look through 60 days of "completed listings" to find a comparable cue.

Early Joss cues, especially with spliced points, and one of a kind customs can be worth quite a bit. Most of the 80's and later production cues have middling values.

Chris

Jakal
01-30-2005, 12:19 AM
I know that there is a "Blue Book" here (https://store.bluebookinc.com/home/TextList.aspx?page=9) for pool cues. The book is set to come out in August.

Johnny_V
01-31-2005, 07:43 AM
I would think that an online guide would be more accurate and of course up to date.

So would people be interested? I would hate to spend the time doing something like this then not get any response from it.

JV

Popcorn
01-31-2005, 10:53 AM
I would not rule what you do by what is said here. If you believe in the idea, go for it. It can be rewarding and a learning experiance even if it does not work out perfectly.

Jakal
01-31-2005, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Johnny_V:</font><hr> I would think that an online guide would be more accurate and of course up to date.

JV <hr /></blockquote>

I would be interested. One recommendation. The link I provided in my previous post does provide the Blue Book (https://store.bluebookinc.com/Home/PoolCue.aspx) information online and claims to be up-to-date.
I would first see how they are presenting the information and see how to improve on it (and any other online "Blue Books"). Just a thought.