PDA

View Full Version : Cue questions

Pied Piper
01-26-2005, 02:35 PM
a)I am on the market for a customer cue, and the one that has really interested me after seeing his work is Richard Black Customs. The cue looked beautiful and was just awesome. Has anyone played with a Black Cue? Can you relate to any other cue how it hits? Does it play more like a meucci, players, lucasi, mcdermott, or any of those? I played once with an Arnot and loved the feel. Or is he the kind of customer cue maker that can make the cue kinda of hit like you want?

b)In trying to design my cue I have looked at several different styles. This one is out of curiosity, In PoolHall Junkies (yes i am one of the few that enjoyed that flick), the cue in the very begining that they scroll over, anyone know what kind of cue that was?

c) anyone know the typical turn around time for a cue maker like Black?

any response, insight, or advice on a customer cue would be greatly appreciated.

dg-in-centralpa
01-26-2005, 03:12 PM
I have a Richard Black "Bushka" model that I use as my regular playing cue. It has a stiff hit. It is nothing like a Meucci, God forbid. He has a few of these in stock. As to having him make something different to your specs, you'll have to contact him. Check out his website for other models and prices. Every cue that I've played with all hit differently. It is a matter of what you prefer.

DG

www.blackcues.com (http://www.blackcues.com)

JPB
01-26-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't remember the cue they scrolled over in PHJ. But there was at least one southwest in the movie. It wasn't the awful graphite one ricky schroeder used.

cheese_ball
01-26-2005, 03:13 PM
In response to your questions...

In my opinion, Black's cues are more for decoration than for playing. I've never liked the feel of his cues, though his workmanship is top notch. I've seen too many of his cues, and they are GORGEOUS!!! I'd love to own one, though more to collect it than to play with it. His cues tend to be stiff, and kind of clunky or dead feeling. I like a cue with a lot of feedback, and his didn't do it for me. It was like playing with a piece of driftwood, BEAUTIFUL driftwood, but driftwood none the less.

Turn around time from any of todays "great cuemakers" can range quite a bit. Some of them will have a cue ready for you in 2-6 months (depending on if they can start with a blank thay have already made), and others have a waiting list of 8 years (Joel Hercek, or Southwest for example)!!!

Furthermore, I would never reccomend buying a cue without shooting with it first. If you liked the way the Arnot hit, why not buy an Arnot Q?

As for your other question, most of the cues in the movie Pool Hall Junkies were supplied by McDermott. So, I would guess that opening shot of the cue is also an McD.

buddha162
01-27-2005, 03:17 AM
I'll go one step further than Cheese and say that not only have I never hit with a Black that I liked, I've never seen one without some major flaws in the point/inlay-work. There might be examples of "perfectly executed" Blacks out there, but I've never came across one (and I've come across more than a few). The points never line up, the veneers are just atrocious (jagged, visible gluelines, and I've seen one where the tip of the outermost veneer just broke off and you can see a 1-inch groove into the maple running up the point).

RB's are being discussed over at AZbilliards, and my friend made the great suggestion of Timmy Scruggs over any Richard Black cue, any day of the year. Scruggs is a true master at his craft. So is Skip Weston, if you like classic looking cues.

mho would be to stay as far away from RB cues as possible.

-Roger

GeraldG
01-27-2005, 06:22 AM
One of my buddies has a beautiful Tim Scruggs cue, and it hits like a ton of bricks. I love that cue, but he won't part with it...yet.

Has anyone here played with a Bill Schick? He has some beautiful cues, too. I just wonder if they play as good as they look.

That same buddy has a 16-point (8 long/8 short) ebony and ivory cue with some exquisite inlay work. He said he thought it was a Cuda or Cudy, but he couldn't remember what the guy said that he bought it from. I've never heard of either. I asked him if maybe he meant Chudy, but he said that definitely wasn't it, he's familiar with those. That cue hits pretty good, too...a little noisy and not as good as the Scruggs, but good.