PDA

View Full Version : Putting new tips on a cue

dave62959
01-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Has anyone used the Willard Cutter & Tipper tool? If so do you like the way it works. Or can anyone tell me what tool has the best tipping results.

DialUp
01-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I have never used that tool. I use this (http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/Catalog.Product/productID/3529.cfm?CFID=176037&CFTOKEN=fc99ab1e9aa6aeab-C60BB6AB-D61C-4F06-BEFB53181607D234) ferrule sander instead. It will mark up the shaft if you do not wrap something around the shaft first. In addition to that, I use a mushroom cutter, a burnisher, and a shaper (of course)

You can also use just a tip shaper, sand paper, and razor blade with 100% results like this -

Take a razor blade and carefully cut off the tip as close to square as you can.

Once you get the tip of, slowly pick at the remaining pieces to get down to the ferrule.

Now, take a piece of sand paper and place it on a flat surface, like a table. Hold the shaft vertical and square to the table with the ferrule down on the sand paper.

While holding the shaft very still, move the sand paper around on the table underneath the ferrule. This will sand it perfectly flat.

Now use a contact cement to glue the new tip. The contact cement will fill in any voids or imperfections in the ferrule. Be sure to sand the glue surface of the tip as well to rough it up a bit.

Attach shaft to butt before gluing.

Follow the directions for the glue.

After you put the tip on, press it on with your fingers tightly making sure you get it on squarely (side to side)

Now put the stick upside down in a cornor while the glue dries.

Let it dry all night no matter what the glue directions say.

After dry, use razor blade (very slowly) to trim if needed.

Now shape it with your favorite radius (dime or nickel)

I have done many tips this way with 100% success.

Good luck

BooBoo
01-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Yes I have one and use it alot. The best part about it is when you are installing the new tip, it self centers the tip onto the ferrule. No muss, no fuss. A no brainer. That for me was always the hardest part of doing tips.

Sid_Vicious
01-27-2005, 06:50 AM
That is all I use except for the addition of the crutch tip spinning tool. The willard is good, but be very careful in the trim. It can and will cut into the ferule when you get close, so use the adjustment screw tediously, "waggling" the shaft/assy when close to compensate for the slop in the Willard. It ain't perfect...sid

Troy
01-27-2005, 08:57 AM
I've been using the Willard's since '98 and still use it even though I also have a lathe. I have all the collets & trimmers to do shafts from 9mm to 14mm.
You need to be very careful when trimming the tip to the ferrule -- it's REAL easy to cut into the ferrule.
Using the Willard's is certainly much easier than sanding the shaft by hand, trying to center the tip by hand, trimming with a razor knife, etc.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave62959:</font><hr> Has anyone used the Willard Cutter &amp; Tipper tool? If so do you like the way it works. Or can anyone tell me what tool has the best tipping results. <hr /></blockquote>

Pied Piper
01-27-2005, 09:28 AM
I have a particular tip tool at my local pool hall. Not sure if we are referring to the same one. I found it in Muellers and waiting to purchase one myself. What I have found is that if you can find a tip cement or glue, make sure it is the Gel type. The thicker the viscosity of the glue the easier it is to apply the new tip and the better grip. Since I also fly-fish (glueing knots), I found that gorilla glue, head cement, or zap-a-gap works amazingly well. Never had a tip fall of with that stuff. The warning label of one particular glue that use states "Warning Bonds human tissue in seconds." I found that it holds tip extremely well, and that paint thinner will help separate your fingers.

cheese_ball
01-27-2005, 09:34 AM
The Willard tool is indispensible! This is one of the greatest tip replacement tools on the market in my opinion. The only thing better is a real lathe. The Willard tool is worth every cent of it's hefty $290.00 price tag!!! After all, where can you find a portable (and precise) lathe for that much?

When I was just starting out in cue-repair, I used to bring a tool box to league nights with a variety of tips, my Willard, some shaft cleaner, and a few hand taps. That Willard tool proved to be invaluable, as I got tons of $$$ to install tips on the spot.