PDA

View Full Version : Junior Players, Gambling and Awards!

Bob
01-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Juniors players, gambling and awards

With the Orlando Open coming this August 3 ~ 7, I am contemplating awards for the kids. The Orlando Open will feature an explosive junior event along with Parent/adult and junior event, in addition to three, 9 Ball events for adults. All info here: http://www.mousetyme.com/TheOrlandoOpenEvents.html

The norm for an adult venue is CASH and plenty of it. But with the kids you get into some ethics issues..... I am pondering the awards..

Do we give cash??? Should we give BIG gifts or Gift certificates?

My Junior mailer is not big enough to poll the parents/gardians. So I am asking for your opinion here. Is it ethical to give cash prizes to kids or is it just teaching them to gamble?

Thanks!

Eydie

Barbara
01-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Eydie,

At the SBE the Juniors don't get cash at all. They get a really nice trophy plus oodles of stuff that the vendors have donated.

HTH

Barbara

Deeman2
01-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Bob,

It's a tough issue and, being in favor of gambling, I still wonder about this when it involves the kids. Many years ago I was at the BCA Junior Nationals in Vegas and it sort of pained me to see very young kids wolfing and baiting other kids for games. It just took something away from the joy of watching some very talented kids who seemed to be a little jaded before their time. The other adults seemed to enjoy it and even some parents were getting out of hand and setting a bad exapmle of behavior I wouldn't want a kid of mine to emulate.

The cash is o.k., I think, but it's more the atmosphere that is set.

Boy, talk about a hypocrite....but it was always different with us, right? Right...

Deeman

JPB
01-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Prizes only.

Yet another example of how there really is no amateur pool. Let them be amateurs for a little while.

It is too bad we have lost the spirit of amateurism in essentially all sports. Even golf, which is the strictest, allows players on college scholarships at major schools to play amateur events. It really is a shame we have lost it. The olympics have been ruined, college sports are a farce, etc...

Popcorn
01-27-2005, 03:31 PM
I don't know how many players you are expecting but if you are charging $30. & $40.to play, you have to give away something of decent value becides some cheap trophys.

GeraldG
01-27-2005, 06:15 PM
For kids I like the idea of giving trophys and striking a deal with a cue distributor or someone like that to provide a new cue (or something along those lines) for first place, something a little less (like a new case) for second place and so on. I don't think the idea of giving cash prizes to kids is good. Maybe gift certificates for free pool time from the sponsoring pool room for runners up...that sort of thing. JMHO

Popcorn
01-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Your right. The great thing about that is it will last, where the money would be spent and forgoten. Especally for a kid, that cue would always represent him being a champion. I guess I just don't like trophys.

GeraldG
01-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah Popcorn, but if you're like me you have enough trophies already....with a kid it's a little different. Winning a trophy is a big thing and, like you said, if he (or she) wins a cue, it doesn't get much better than that for them.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy winning a trophy...but it's more the winning than the trophy, it's just not that big a thing now...give me the cash /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way Eydie, I think it's great that you are providing this venue for the kids to compete. In this area there just isn't much for the kids in pool.

Jakal
01-30-2005, 12:01 AM
I know that a lot of times in sports involving minors that scholarships are given away for the top places (if there are enough participants), sometimes with a little bit of cash also.

CarolNYC
01-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Hey Barb,
They get tons of stuff and I heard that THIS year, the junior champion gets a spot in the US open! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
01-30-2005, 02:57 AM
Hey Eydie,
I would say cases,cues,trophys,etc.....
Kids like to be kids and show off their winnings,ya know?
Take care!
Carol

mksmith713
01-30-2005, 11:58 AM
You may also want to check the NCAA website.
I fell into that trap many years ago.
I was a High School scholar athlete and excelled in Swimming and Baseball.
I was also a top ranked youth bowler in my area.
I bowled in an unsanctioned doubles tournaments when I was 16 and 17 and placed in the cash frequently.
I think I may have gotten $150. at most each time I cashed.
Guess what?
That $150. classified me as a Professional Athlete.
Because that was my primary source of income, I was classified as a professional.
Not just a Professional Bowler,... a Professional Athlete.
As a result, The scholarship I was offering to play baseball was rescinded.
Not only that. I wasn't allowed to compete in NCAA competition in any sport.

The rules may have changed since those days, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Jakal
01-30-2005, 08:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mksmith713:</font><hr>
That $150. classified me as a Professional Athlete. <hr /></blockquote>

What year was this? I used to be an avid bowler and when I was 14 (1993) I decided to join an adult bowling league. The American Bowling Congress and the Youth American Bowlers Association both made me (and a parent) sign documents stating that I was aware that I would not be able to participate in school sports.